Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10 x 12 SEF coil problems

JoeH

I purchased the SEF 10 x 12 coil a few weeks back. Still trying to figure out why I bought it. Its not discriminatiing at all. I have never pulled more bottle caps in my life (which come up in the mid 80's). Dont think I have ever pulled one with the standard 9". It may be a little deeper on Pennies but silver? Just this week I hit a Merc at 4" but it did not give a solid signal. It was iffy on the bars and VDI bounced. Pennies are coming up in the 80's. Are the VDI numbers different for the SEF coils? Only thing it hits hard is foil, bottle caps and Pennies. Could it be a bad coil? Sorry about the rant, just a little confussed right now and dont like to waste $190.00. Thank You.

There are pluses and minuses with all coils and one of the minuses with the DD/SEF style coils is they ID bottle caps as a quarter. On the + side, it has better separation, lower ground noise and more coverage than the 950. The DD/SEF coils excel in mineralized ground while the concentric coils do best in low to medium mineralized ground.

It pays to do your homework before buying new coils and these points have been talked about hundreds of times over the years.

Your 4 inch dime could have been on edge, slanted or iron nearby to cause the jumpy VDI, most likely it is not a faulty coil. Like anything new, it will take time to learn your new coil and there are ways to ID the bottle caps with good results, I will let some of the MXT pros help you there. In mineralized ground, the SEF coils are a very good investment.

Well said Larry :thumbup: Here is my two cents on that coil. I own the 10x12 SEF and the whites 4x6 shooter coil and I'm not turning back thay have got to be one of the best investment i have made for my MXT. Yes i dig bottle caps but i hunt areas that i may have no signals for a few minutes and getting a repeatable quarter signal is heart throbbing and that keeps me going lol because you never know it just might be a old silver or large copper coin :happy: For me the concentric coil is old school and since my soil i high in minerals I'm loven the DD wedge design. As far as depth and discrimination goes with the 10x14 accelerator coil in my ground i have pulled a Indian head cent at 12 too 14 inches with a nail in the hole as well and that's no bull as far as my Whites 4x6 shooter coil yes it can be noisy but i run a little higher gain at times but it gets good depth and has great trash separation . sas

I think also that some machines were more designed for and do better with DD coils. Used to be a big concentric fan but not after using a good DD coil. The seperation and ability to handle/go deeper in mineralized ground makes them my favorite now over concentrics...And the 12x10 I use on my machine is the best DD coil I've ever used. I'm also impressed that a little 5.5" DD coil I use gets about 7 to 9" on a dime in my soil, when other machines I've owned with concentric coils that were 8 to 10" in size couldn't even get passed 7.5" in my soil. I've also used 6" or smaller concentrics and they don't seem to hold their depth as well as a DD when the coil size is 6" or smaller.