Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

108 nickels in the same hole

ramer

The day before yesterday, I found 108 nickels in the same hole. I had to dig out the root ball of a small tree to get at the majority of them. Once I got the root ball out, the nickels flowed like water.
The oldest of them is a 1945 war nickel, a 1947 and a 1949, and the rest are in the 60's, 70's, and some 80's.
Who put them there and why? Just nickels, no pennies, dimes, etc, just nickels.
My previous largest find in one hole was 4 years ago when I found 47 coins in the same hole, mostly pennies, some nickels, and a sprinkling of dimes and quarters. But this tops that by over twice. it took me about 45 minutes to get at all the nickels.
Oh well, over 5 dollars worth of coins in one hole. Not a bad day of metal detecting.
By the way, this is the same park where I found a 1936 half dollar 3 weeks ago. This cache was almost 2 miles away. A huge park to be sure.

The signal was very iffy. Likely because of all the nickels confusing my detector. The VDI and the sounds were all over the place, from pull tabs to foil to nickels. But because I was deep in the woods, I dig all the iffy signals. 95 percent of the time it is just garbage. But this time....whoa....what the heck is going on with all those nickels.

Wow - that's crazy - congrats !

[attachment 351009 IMAG1768b.jpg] Kinda like the hoard that I found of pennies and marbles!!! LOL

If they were in paper rolls there would be 12 more. They may have been in some type container that wouldn't last this long in the ground.