Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10x12 SEF Coil??

Rob (IL)

I haven

Don't know about the 12x10 compared to that coil, but if you look in the MXT forum there is a video probably still on page 1 where a guy tested the SEF 8x6 against another coil which is known for handling mineralized ground well, and yet the SEF could see a coin under a red brick that the other coil could could not. Red bricks are mineralized, so that seems to support the opinion of some that the SEF coils seem to handle rough ground better and run smoother in it. I know for me on my particular machine it does in my somewhat mineralized sites.

The SEFs seem very popular among certain detectors, but don't seem as popular among others. I suspect that while they work very well on certain platforms, they might not work as well on certain others out there. I know for instance that on one platform I've seen a number of posts about them pinpointing off to the side and doing other odd things for them.

I'm sure if you searched this forum for "12x10" you'll find numerous field reports on them versus other coils for your machine to find out how they might do for you.

Yes Critter, the 10x12 works well on my Minelab SE but that isn't what I'm looking for. The SEF doesn't handle the 22.5 kHz on the V3i as well as it should limiting the RX. I own a White 10x12 which is an odd one in that it can handle the RX15 and even handle boost.

I can't quote someone in the industry who thought the 10x12 was a little deeper than the 10D2 and was less prone to less EMI interference. Another "in the know" said it handles bad ground better than the D2.

I really don't know because I never actually ran side by side tests. I think one of our industry people did. I'd like the information even if it has to be in a PM. Thanks for the input.

I did some coil comparisons for White's engineering with the prototype V3 and I experienced less ground noise, slightly better depth and better coverage with the non V rated 12X10 SEF coil that I was using at the time. I still have the same coil on my V3i. Since EMI was not a factor at the time of testing, I have no data on that.

That's what I had heard now there is confirmation.

I just rolled the dice on a brand new white 10x12 sef from kellyco. I will let everyone know if it works properly with 22.5 frequency and 15 rx gain. Im hoping they got the problems ironed out by now.

I think there is a definite depth advantage with the SEF. I can easily run it in Best Data, and it has a nice smooth threshold even with the RX up to 12 and the All Metal at 74 and the Disc Sensitivity around 92 (conditions permitting). I have found tiny gold with it as well as other small targets. The only thing I notice is that the VDI numbers are off on low conductive targets. A nickel usually reads as a 25 VDI.

I find myself using the D2 for areas with more vegetation, but the SEF 12"x 10" has better ground coverage for farm fields. It also has excellent trash separation, as good as the D2. (It is the same width).

I did not like the SEF for wet sand at all. The 950 Eclipse seems to be the best choice for those conditions.

Each coil has advantages over the other.

FYI, I have a black SEF coil, purchased in November 2010.

any input on this coil? and whatare some of the pro's and con's, I have one to try on my v3I and any help would be appreciated thank you

I had the Super 12, which I was not a big fan of. Maybe it was simply because I also have the SEF 12"x10" and I didn't see the need for both.

Over here in Oahu, the best coil by far is the V rated white 10X12 inch SEF coil for detecting the dry sand in the prospecting mode. In a lot of areas, I can run the sensitivity up to 15 while having a smooth threshold. I have a area that has many pulltab 12 to 15 inches deep. The 950 coil will at best just give a bump in the threshold tone on these deep pulltabs. But the SEF coil will let you know loud and clear that you have a target with a positive ID number. So far all the pulltabs have been pulltabs but some day, one will be a gold ring. When I get into wet sand, I just switch from 22.5 kHz to Salt compensate and continue detecting. Yes, I do dig a lot of small tin foil and very small pieces of metals including a 10K post diamond ear ring. I do have every V rated factory coil for my V3i except the 12 inch coil. But my coil of choice is the V rated white 10X12 inch SEF coil for dry and wet sand detecting.

digsgti said:
I just rolled the dice on a brand new white 10x12 sef from kellyco. I will let everyone know if it works properly with 22.5 frequency and 15 rx gain. Im hoping they got the problems ironed out by now.

Please let us know how it goes. I lost count of how many bad ones I received.

burlbark said:
digsgti said:

Please let us know how it goes. I lost count of how many bad ones I received.

Thought I would have it by this weekend but I called kellyco to find out that they are on back order. So it will be a while before I can post results. The good news it will be from a fresh batch.

digsgti said:
Thought I would have it by this weekend but I called kellyco to find out that they are on back order. So it will be a while before I can post results. The good news it will be from a fresh batch

I hate that they don't tell you that up front. These things are made in Europe, so don't hold your breath!

SEF 10X12 COIL
well i had to buy one of these SEF coils. 10x12 is what i bought. i did air test comparison,was a lot deeper than the 9.5 and 6x10 DD. also a lot more sensitive to tiny items,gold ear rings,rivets,etc. compared 10x12 to the whites 9.5 in my yard....same settings several targets 10x12 gets good lock on and 9.5 doesn't make a sound...i had actually used the 6x10 in this 20x20 section of yard just off my porch..very nail infested due to being built in 1853 so lots of rusty goodies. been over this part of the yard a lot with every detector I 've ever owned and every coil.got no good targets with 6x10 or any coil for that matter until 10x12 sef. in that area within 15 minutes found a 1864 Indian head penny and a 1936 buffalo nickel. both had great smooth tones and you could tell it was a good target with meter reading from 5c to 1c. dug 2 very old wheat pennies that the 9.5 did not make a peep on. with same settings. both of them were lock on 72-74 with 10x12.. also the weight of the coils is sef 10x12 1.3lbs with coil cover, whites 9.5 1.1lb without coil cover. so almost the same. sef is much smoother and deeper and separates better than even my 6x10 DD. i dont know how its made... but i do know its very impressive!! i have 2 MXT detectors that i was testing with..
This one was at first posted by xltguy in the official whites forum.

Yes I would guess the 10x12 would be deeper than the 9.5 especially if the soil is not mild. The coil to compare the SEF to is the 10 D2 which is a DD coil. The 10D2 is also deeper than the 9.5 for me. My White 10x12 is a good one and still does not have as good a null as my V rated coils. My SEF however will not overload at RX15 with boost on. Some non V rated Whites coil by luck can run boost. I have my doubts about the White SEF tolerances. If you get a good one you will be happy.

Neil in West Jersey said:
digsgti said:
Thought I would have it by this weekend but I called kellyco to find out that they are on back order. So it will be a while before I can post results. The good news it will be from a fresh batch

I hate that they don't tell you that up front. These things are made in Europe, so don't hold your breath!
Don't want to start an argument but not all things made out side the USA are not badly made, me and my brother use the 12x10 sef coils come straight from Bulgaria no problems with ours,like i said don't take offence just saying what i know..

I don't think anybody said that. It is a fact that many people got a White SEF that did not work as it should. My first one was a dud. Some people still have not been able to get one that works. As I said the one I have now works as it was advertised.

BIG G said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
digsgti said:

Don't want to start an argument but not all things made out side the USA are not badly made, me and my brother use the 12x10 sef coils come straight from Bulgaria no problems with ours,like i said don't take offence just saying what i know..

I was referring to the fact that it was on backorder, and it may take a while for them to ship it, it wasn't a critique on their performance. I use mine all the time!

Iam sorry if i read it wrong there was no offence intended....:shrug: