Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10X12 SEF coil

WWZESQ

Hello, I have a question for any members using the 10x12 sef coil. Is it normal to have my machine overload with tx boost on? It does not overload at rx15, disc90 and tx boost off. Just wanted to know if i got a defective coil. Thanks a lot for your help.

The new White 10x12 I have will run TX boost RX15. They all don't. If you have one that will run RX15 without boost that is a good 10x12.

Rob (IL) said:
The new White 10x12 I have will run TX boost RX15. They all don't. If you have one that will run RX15 without boost that is a good 10x12.

Did they test it for you before it left Kelly Co? You sure got a good one.

I sent the first one back. It was a good coil but the signal% was pretty high. Did they test it??????? Is it really better than my D2 ???? If it is, it's not a big improvement. Maybe handles ground a bit better, and maybe a bit deeper. It is a good coil and I like mine. I hope Larry has some fields to hunt. It shines for this application.

Rob (IL) said:
I sent the first one back. It was a good coil but the signal% was pretty high. Did they test it??????? Is it really better than my D2 ???? If it is, it's not a big improvement. Maybe handles ground a bit better, and maybe a bit deeper. It is a good coil and I like mine. I hope Larry has some fields to hunt. It shines for this application.

I tell you, when I got my 12x15 it made all my fields like new hunting ground. Even in the trashy areas it ignored the small iron bits and saw dime size high conductors on up and ignored most of the small stuff. Schools and parks seem like no one has ever detected them before when I use the 12x15. Swing thingy is a must to enjoy the days hunt.

Rob (IL) said:

Mine runs TX boost RX15 also, and maintains a 24% signal loss at the same time.

Just disconnect the DX1 and see if it improves. Is this a white 10x12? If it is a black one they make no claims. If my coil overloaded at 9-10 it would be no use to me.:stars:

Strange thing. Tried it without the dx1 and was able to run boost on rx15 disc90. Re-connected dx1 and was able to do the same thing, but when I turned boost off, machine overloaded at 15. turned boost back on and overload stopped. I'm going to try it again tomorrow with a fresh charged battery and see what happens. Thanks for all your help -Z

Ralph at SunRay made this post long ago.

WHITE'S SPECTRA V3 AND SUN RAY INVADER DX-1 TARGET PROBE COMPATIBILITY

The Sun Ray Invader DX-1 has been determined by us and the engineers at White's Electronics in Sweet Home, OR to be compatible with the new Spectra V3 with the following exceptions:

(1) The probes we have tested on the V3 did not overload on RX 15 (gain) with TX Boost on.

(2) However, the stock White's 10" DD coil may or may not overload with the DX-1 in-line depending on the tolerances from coil to coil. This has nothing to do with the probe or coil involved, rather with the switch (for switching from coil to probe and visa versa)

(3) It was found that by either reducing the RX gain a number or two ,or, disengaging TX Boost resolved the problem.

(4) In most hunting conditions RX gain cannot be used at maximum setting unless you are detecting on neutral ground such as a beach with no mineralization, especially with TX boost engaged.

(5) Other V-3 compatible coils, including non V-tuned coils (whether factory or after-market) may overload at max RX and TX Boost and may require a lower RX setting (or TX Boost disengaged). How low will depend on the coil and ground conditions, however, our tests showed other coils we tested only had to be lowered on RX a few numbers to cancel the overload if TX Boost was left engaged. (NOTE: Various tests described above were conducted by both Sun Ray Detector Electronics and White's Electronics in Sweet Home, OR. White's Electronics has approved the above compatibility statement.)

Well, I tried again today, fresh charge on battery and the coil overloaded at rx15, disc90 and boost on. With boost on, it overloaded all the way down to rx10. With the boost off, no overload at rx 15. What do you think, should I send it back or just live with it? Again, thanks for all your help.

Well, I tried again today, fresh charge on battery and the coil overloaded at rx15, disc90 and boost on. With boost on, it overloaded all the way down to rx10. With the boost off, no overload at rx 15. What do you think, should I send it back or just live with it? Again, thanks for all your help.

Well, I tried again today, fresh charge on battery and the coil overloaded at rx15, disc90 and boost on. With boost on, it overloaded all the way down to rx10. With the boost off, no overload at rx 15. What do you think, should I send it back or just live with it? Again, thanks for all your help. I'm using a V3i. Sorry for the multiple posts, don't know what happened!

I would talk to customer service at Kellyco, they might consider it a good one and you would have no options.........:shrug:

IMHO I would think you have a good one and chances are slim to none that you would ever use Boost at RX10 and higher.

I spoke to customer service at Kellyco and they told me to give it another try or 2. I'm not quite sure what that means. I saw on another post that Rob's coil did not overload at rx15 with the boost on. Mine seems to overload intermittently. Don't want to be stuck with a bad coil and miss all of those good targets!

WWZESQ said:
Well, I tried again today, fresh charge on battery and the coil overloaded at rx15, disc90 and boost on. With boost on, it overloaded all the way down to rx10. With the boost off, no overload at rx 15. What do you think, should I send it back or just live with it? Again, thanks for all your help. I'm using a V3i. Sorry for the multiple posts, don't know what happened!

I call that a good coil. My SEF happens to run at 15 w/boost, but I can not say the same thing about all the rest of my factory/Whites coils. I worry that my 10x12 may even be less sensitive and not as effective as one like yours. Boost is a bit over rated and frankly...I can't see a purpose for using it even as high Rx10.

Rx10 with Boost on sounds ok to me. Curious though. What's your signal loss % at Rx15 w/o boost on? martin

Thanks for the info Martin. I'm less concerned with using high rx numbers with boost on, than possibly having a defective coil, since the overloads at rx15 with boost on are intermittent. Sometimes it overloads and sometimes it doesn't. Very strange. Would you keep it?

If it doesn't overload at RX15 with boost off it is GOOD. Even Whites coils are considered good at RX15 with boost off. Have you read my link on RX gain. There isn't a large gain in depth between RX10 and RX15.

It is very rare that RX15 and boost can be used for detecting. The V3i gets depth from sensitivity and 90 is HIGH sensitivity. HI PRO uses 88 if I remember. I many cases if you run it too hot the noise you encounter will negative the hot settings.