Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10X12 SEF coil

WWZESQ said:
Thanks for the info Martin. I'm less concerned with using high rx numbers with boost on, than possibly having a defective coil, since the overloads at rx15 with boost on are intermittent. Sometimes it overloads and sometimes it doesn't. Very strange. Would you keep it?

I presume that you have the 10"D2 factory coil also. If the 10x12 doesn't meet or exceed your SEF, I'd be thinking about returning it. There's hardly any other V3i coil that is so fast to overload like the 10D2. My real feeling is that the SEF, if it's white in actual color, is a coil you should really give time in actual action in hunts. You aren't pressed for shipping it back, right?

Also, monitor the coil wire nut at the actual coil. I can't say that a loose nut would cause this kind of problem, but I've discovered that mine comes loose rather easily.

Use the D2 as a reference no matter. Hope this helps. martin

Sorry to bang on this question but, "What signal loss are you getting with the SEF at 15 and no boost on?

"There's hardly any other V3i coil that is so fast to overload like the 10D2."

I can't go along with this statement. My signal% on my D2 is less than my 10x12 and it doesn't overload unless I run it over a large shallow target, running hot.

Signal% doesn't affect coil performance unless it is so high the coil overloads. If you have a coil with 10%, and one with 40% neither will have higher performance. They will perform the same. The one with 40% simply has less head room before it overloads. :nono:

I will check the signal % on both the d2 and sef tomorrow and let you know. I would check tonight but its raining like crazy here. Thanks -Z

Rob (IL) said:
"There's hardly any other V3i coil that is so fast to overload like the 10D2."

I can't go along with this statement. My signal% on my D2 is less than my 10x12 and it doesn't overload unless I run it over a large shallow target, running hot.

Signal% doesn't affect coil performance unless it is so high the coil overloads. If you have a coil with 10%, and one with 40% neither will have higher performance. They will perform the same. The one with 40% simply has less head room before it overloads. :nono:

I am talking about bench marking the signal loss and overloads with the coil raised in open air,,,nothing to do with target size in the ground.

On my v3i my 6x10 and D2 over loaded My sef coils did not. My buddies whites coils also did overload. And his sef coil did not. I had several coils replaced through whites.

My sef 10x12 runs 15 gain and 45% signal loss lately and I just can't say what' s the reason. But Just a week ago was running 15 gain with tx boost on without a problem. I noticed tx boost on over 60 signal loss overloads persistent. I am thinking plugging back my 10dd because of that, I had no problems with high gain with the 10dd even with tx boost on so I think this is going to be my first coil out for all kind of targets from now on.

Last time:

As already mentioned, [size=large]the signal% number is not "signal loss"[/size] but rather the residual signal level. If the loop doesn't overload, it's fine. A lower number won't give you more depth.

Most of the loops I hunt with are customer returns that work perfectly well.

- [size=large]Carl[/size] (Carl Moreland Whites)

I'm going to keep the coil. At rx15 my signal is reading 39.2%. With boost on it jumps to 67.3% and overloads. I appreciate all of the information you folks have given me, I've had the v3i for about 2 years now and have gotten pretty good at figuring out the settings to achieve really good depth and stability, but coil dynamics is still voodoo to me. I do like the SEF, however, even more than the D2 which I have found to be lacking in many areas that I hunt ( nail infested ground). Thanks for your time and your collective " big brains". -Z

OK, we will close this one