Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10x12 sef failed, then repaired and gets me 8 wheats and merc

burlbark

I guess the title says it all. My SEF coil has been acting up and I thought it was just a little corrosion on the box connector. Well it was shorting out somewhere and finally went out completely. Before it gave up it was not getting hardly any depth and was really quiet, 2" of depth on a quarter with a gain of 4. Perhaps it had been going bad for months and slowly degrading? I never pull on my cords and dont have them wound tightly so this surprised me.

I opened up the connector and cut 2" off of the cable and stripped and soldered the leads on with some electronics solder. I cleaned it up nicely and buttoned it all back together with some hot glue. I took the pic before gluing. I never did find where it was broken, more than likely bridged under the old hot glue.

A year ago this coil took me 6 months to get and I got 4(? I lost count) other bad ones before they sent me this good one. So I had to make this one work.

I just would like to say that it has never worked like this before. In an area that we have hunted for nearly 5 years I pulled 8 wheats and a 1943 merc out. I had to run the gain at 3 and the disc at 81 and was using the single frequency 2.5. I was finding wheat cents at the 8" mark, I have never had this good of depth with this low of gain in an area of extremely high EMI. This coil has once again impressed me and made me have to question the appropriate gain for these trashy areas and deep coins.

I have heard Larry comment on how the v3i gets its depth from not raw output power but from analysis of the data, I have never seen it to this extent. Swinging slow in mixed mode stereo single frequency 2.5 and trying to get repetitive signals. If I got a nice high tone I would try to get it to repeat by moving over the area back and forth slowly and incrementally trying to find the sweet spot, while walking around the target. If I got it to repeat and it didnt pinpoint off the side more than a 4-5" I would dig it.

I have used this method of hunting for many years but I have just now been able to say instead of trying to discriminate signals and justify not digging I did the opposite. We often get into the mindset of not wanting to dig trash and try to find a reason not to dig. Today I did the opposite and I tried to find a reason to dig. I was just much more positive in my approach.

This was a 2 hour hunt and I am amazed at how it all came together, it was hitting depth like my etrac would from time to time, but the v3i was doing it consistently. I am a happy camper once again....:detecting:

Wow, you sure have hadsome bad luck with that coil for sure. Glad to hear things finally came all together for you. Congratulations on some nice finds with it.