Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

11 coins

SNOWY

Back at the beach this morning for 3 1/2 hours...

P1111734.jpg

Total = 11 coins ~ 5 - $1 coins, 3 - $2 coins, 2 - 20 cents, 1 - 2 cent...

$11.22 in change...

No jewellry today.

Had a great morning, WOT was a heavier change over the Sunray X12...

Back to the drawing books regarding coil weights ~ was going to keep the Wot, and sell the X12 ~ not so sure now!

Hey Snowy, I couldn't get my Wots, or my larger Excellerators to work for cheese on the Florida beach last week. Had to go all the way down to the stock ten before it would stay stable. And then I got better depth from the smaller SR12 and stock ten then the big ones. So before you slip a disk, make sure you are getting some kind of depth advantage from the gigantos, cause the worst type of work is work that you never really had to do.:beers: I had the same result on the beaches in Texas last year, where I got better depth from the stock ten then my excellerator 14. Apparently, the larger coils don't do so well once your mineralization goes up, with my SE in wet surf sand. I've gotten similar results in soil with allot of iron, the bigger coils seem to only be an advantage in clean unmineralized ground. :thumbup:

PS: If they had 2 and 3 dollar coins here, I'd be a clad hunter in a heart beat.

n/t

[quote digitrich]Hey Snowy, I couldn't get my Wots, or my larger Excellerators to work for cheese on the Florida beach last week. Had to go all the way down to the stock ten before it would stay stable. And then I got better depth from the smaller SR12 and stock ten then the big ones. So before you slip a disk, make sure you are getting some kind of depth advantage from the gigantos, cause the worst type of work is work that you never really had to do.:beers: I had the same result on the beaches in Texas last year, where I got better depth from the stock ten then my excellerator 14. Apparently, the larger coils don't do so well once your mineralization goes up, with my SE in wet surf sand. I've gotten similar results in soil with allot of iron, the bigger coils seem to only be an advantage in clean unmineralized ground. :thumbup:

PS: If they had 2 and 3 dollar coins here, I'd be a clad hunter in a heart beat.[/quote]

Digitrich I reckon you're right on the money, the bigger coils see more ground, and if you scanned over a beach with a heavy layer of black sand you'll get more noise because of the big coil seeing more of everything !!!
I also think with the smaller more condensed field from the smaller coil you get a "fatter" more "full" response....

Funny how some of us can't wait to get the "standard" coil off, and go for something "better." eh!!!

The grass is always greener....

character.gif

Thanks Skully,
say ~ I just some of my Explorer SE coils...

Less their skid plates,
# I don't use skid plates on the sandy beaches with these epoxied coils...

Std SE coil 1LB. 2 3/4 oz. ~ 532 grams

Sunray X12 1LB. 2 1/2 oz. ~ 523 grams ( Lighter than the stock coil.)

Coiltek WOT 1LB. 6oz. ~ 614 grams

"Maybe Low 'n' slown 'n' lite's the way to go."

Thanks Bryce,
beach hunting is very easy digging.
I just take a stainless steel Jimmy Sierra "shorty" beach scoop.
Great for even wet salt sand, the stainless mesh just sieves the damp sand great...

Cheers.

Run your gain lower until the large coil settles down and see if your falsing stops. If you use your SE on land with too high a gain it falses, so people run their gain at 7 and less, to settle it down. Well, at the beach, the salt and water make for a very high mineralization matrix, so if you turn your gain down, say to four and five, maybe even less, it just may stop picking up the mineralization and reporting it as a target. Kind of a "manual" ground balancing to help with the Explorers auto ground balance that doesn't quite completely deal with the salt while using a larger coil. Let me know if that helps, don't know why I didn't try it while I was in Florida.

[quote digitrich]Run your gain lower until the large coil settles down and see if your falsing stops. If you use your SE on land with too high a gain it falses, so people run their gain at 7 and less, to settle it down. Well, at the beach, the salt and water make for a very high mineralization matrix, so if you turn your gain down, say to four and five, maybe even less, it just may stop picking up the mineralization and reporting it as a target. Kind of a "manual" ground balancing to help with the Explorers auto ground balance that doesn't quite completely deal with the salt while using a larger coil. Let me know if that helps, don't know why I didn't try it while I was in Florida.[/quote]
Thanks Digitrich,
I'm usually aware of the gain levels I'm at ~ but I can't recall what I was at on that day....

What I generally do is find an area with no targets, I then crank up the gain while swinging the coil until things become unstable.
I then back off the gain until my threshold settles down again.

Digitrich when working the beaches thresholds can get unstable at times eh!
Especially after we move off the neutral dry clean sands, and we start moving down to the the wet salt sands.
And when you also come across black sand layers down deeper, things can get very wobbly!!!

I'll concentrate on my gain level next time !!!:twodetecting:

G'Day Snowy, I live on the Central Coast, NSW, In ever take the WOT off. The only thing i do to quieten it down, is to drop the sensitivity to 14-16 in the wet sand and 24-26 in the dry. My swing speed is about 11/2 seconds for a 11/2 meter swing. As for the weight, I made my own bungy, and made my own hip stick, and this lets me swing for 4 to 6 hours or until my ankles give out. The average finds are from $30 to $50, and considering that there are 7 other detectorists that I know of doing doing this beach, I don't think I am missing much. Don't go by the numbers, the WOT will pull up $2 coins from as deep as 16", and the numbers will go to 30-30 at that depth, and that is a lot of digging with a hand scoop [ have been thinking about a back hoe ]. Don't throw out the wot, buy some 6mm bungy cord and buy some plastic press on bungy hooks from your local boating warehouse, the collar slips on the bungy, you then push the bungy into the end of the hook and then push the collar onto the hook, they never come loose, slip an electrical tie around the top shaft just in front of the control box, leaving a bit of slack to slip the bungy hook through. I use a case strap that I hook into the back belt loop on the left side of my shorts, and bring this over my right shoulder, and hook the other end of the bungy strap to it. presto! no more weight worries. KEEP THE WOT.

G'day Hungry, thanks for replying !

I have taken all you said on board, and appreciate your help.
I used to use a bungy very similar to your setup, but I had a year off from beach detecting;
and I guess I thought I could do without the bungy.... WRONG !!!

I used to connect my bungy to a key ring attached just above the hand grip with a cable tie...

P1151737.jpg

P1151740.jpg

I guess I'm going to have to go back to it eh !

Thanks Hungry...:detecting:

Hi Snowy, well done on your finds, thats about my max amount for coins, I have only used my WOT once for much the same reason as you have listed. Do you by chance have a photo of the set up that Hungry is refering to? as I can not picture it im my mind.

Mike:cheers:

Mike, I'll dig up my bungy setup...
Set it up, and do a photo.

"Watch this space."

Hi Snowy, I also made myself a HIP STICK, The one you can buy is not very good for the beach, as it keeps slipping out and you have to keep lifting up and putting it back into the holder. The one I made is pressed into the holder and doesn't come out. It sure makes detecting a breeze. I am spoilt , because I have my own lathe and mill and make all my own accessories. If I can catch my son I will try to post a picture of the hipstick , as I am not very smart on the computer

Hi Snowy,Here's my Hipstick, takes the load off your shoulder and transfers it to your hip. you can swing for hours

Thanks for that Hungry, and Mike I "pinched" er borrowed a picture of the hip stick setup...

Great pictures of yours Hungry, but I couldn't work out how it would be set up; ~ ~ now I know.

Great idea for sure...

Hipstick.jpg

I feel the guys in the States could get them through "Arizona Outback."