Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

11' Equinox Coil repair questions

Confetrit

My wife and I recently returned home from Tybee Island after a few days of beach hunting. We didn't find a boat load of treasure, but had a great time. While there, one of the ears on my wife's search coil broke where the lower shaft mounts to the coil. It was a clean break and broke at a 45 degree angle. I'm planning on using a strong epoxy to reglue the broken piece. I also am thinking on getting the small support piece ring and epoxy it beside the broken ear. I guess my questions are if there are some here that have had to make this repair, and if so, what would be the strongest epoxy recommended for this repair, and would this be a good idea to attempt adding the support pieces alongside of the mounting ears. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have never had the coils ears break, but several people here have… I’m sure someone else will chime in, but you can also do a search on repairing coils ears and should get some results.
I have seen some do what you are taking about trying.
Putting a shim behind one or both rubber washers to take up space can work in preventing the ears from breaking too..
I actually made a bracket so I do not have to over tighten the coil to keep the coil in place.

My wife and I recently returned home from Tybee Island after a few days of beach hunting. We didn't find a boat load of treasure, but had a great time. While there, one of the ears on my wife's search coil broke where the lower shaft mounts to the coil. It was a clean break and broke at a 45 degree angle. I'm planning on using a strong epoxy to reglue the broken piece. I also am thinking on getting the small support piece ring and epoxy it beside the broken ear. I guess my questions are if there are some here that have had to make this repair, and if so, what would be the strongest epoxy recommended for this repair, and would this be a good idea to attempt adding the support pieces alongside of the mounting ears. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Gigmaster has done Equinox coil ear repairs. Here's a link to a YouTube video he posted:
I reinforced my Nox 800 coil ears (had both 11” coil ears break & Minelab replaced coil under warranty - now expired) on the replacement coil before those could also break. Used the Gorilla 2 part epoxy glue Gig used which is for ABS plastic which is what the coil ears are made of and used some 1/8” ABS plastic I bought on big A online store. All worked out great. Very happy with rock solid coil ears. BTW, the original coil ears broke while I had one of those 3D printed coil ear stiffeners attached.

I have used PC7 (black) and PC11(white) epoxy with great success since 1992....tried and true. I have not used the gorilla product.
A reinforcement of some kind is recommended and then one of the 3D printed supports. Make sure the added support does not prohibit the use of the 3D Brace.

Get one of the stiffeners online use JB weld epoxy to glue broken ear back on then epoxy stiffener over I did this before the ears broke and never had a broken ear
Mark

Gigmaster has done Equinox coil ear repairs. Here's a link to a YouTube video he posted:
I reinforced my Nox 800 coil ears (had both 11” coil ears break & Minelab replaced coil under warranty - now expired) on the replacement coil before those could also break. Used the Gorilla 2 part epoxy glue Gig used which is for ABS plastic which is what the coil ears are made of and used some 1/8” ABS plastic I bought on big A online store. All worked out great. Very happy with rock solid coil ears. BTW, the original coil ears broke while I had one of those 3D printed coil ear stiffeners attached.
Good advice even when new you should epoxy them