Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

15" coil is worth it for depth?

Your question was "is it worth it for depth". I'd say no. At about $275.00 you'd have to find over 180 silver dimes to pay for it and that's at today's silver price. I found the 15" coil to only be about 1" deeper than the 11" coil on coin sized targets in our mineralized Arizona soil. It does offer more coverage and I think that's where the real benefit is over the 11". I had my 15" coil for a little more than a year. Used it a handfull of times and then sold it. It doesn't swing nearly as well as the 11". JMHO

15 inch for coverage only....then when you get to a coin hotspot....take the big gun off and use the smaller size or even the smaller yet sniper size....JMO

Last edited:
Your question was "is it worth it for depth". I'd say no. At about $275.00 you'd have to find over 180 silver dimes to pay for it and that's at today's silver price. I found the 15" coil to only be about 1" deeper than the 11" coil on coin sized targets in our mineralized Arizona soil. It does offer more coverage and I think that's where the real benefit is over the 11". I had my 15" coil for a little more than a year. Used it a handfull of times and then sold it. It doesn't swing nearly as well as the 11". JMHO
Great info there Tom! That really helps my decision to keep the 11" factory coil on the Equinox.

I think your better off with a 6” especially if you like to water hunt less resistance and the 11” is as good as it gets IMHO works excellent.
Mark

What you need to consider is the separation and how well the coil handles your ground....larger coils can go 1-1/2 inches to 2 inches deeper in good ground....yet the footprint is much larger adding multiple targets under the coil at one time....in good ground , you get more depth.... but larger can also result in getting less depth in bad ground.
Just attaching a larger coil on the stick doesn't always mean more depth.

Don't like a coil that size unless it's at the beach.
How is the pin-pointing do you have to dig big a$$ holes?

I love the 15" coil. Where the stock coil is starting to lose a deep signal, the 15" is still hitting hard on it. It's also very sensitive to small low conductors and very stable at a high sensitively. It also still separates well in some scenarios (such as iron above coin) and can outperform smaller coils.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1601848464492.jpg
    FB_IMG_1601848464492.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 169
Here in the black dirt of Illinois the 11 inch coil does just fine. Have dug wheat pennies and indian heads at almost a foot. Now they aren't perfect signals but you know there is something there. My dad and I have absolutely destroyed this park in his hometown. Along with 30 other detectorists. First couple times there signals were everywhere. From tiny little buttons to wheats at 8 to 10 inches. It was almost a new park. I will also say that the 11 inch coil is very sensitive for its size as well. Low ground balance and high sensitivity and you can dig an ants necklace if you aren't careful!

I purchased all three coils when I purchased my equinox 800. I just recently gave the 15" coil a run. I dug every likely signal because I wanted to see how it did. I was cursing it for doing everything it was supposed to do. Park 1, the signal mostly on 13 +-1, dead on center pinpointing. I might have well given up on the dig pictured if I weren't testing out the new coil. ~14" deep, I was expecting junk with the slightest possibility of something great. There was a nickel way at the bottom. I can't imagine how a 1988 nickel made it that far down, but there it was at the bottom of the hole.

I don't think the soil is mineralized. It's not a trashy area and I have beat it to death with my 6" coil (it's in my front yard).
If you don't mind digging, the 15" coil will go deep.

Attachments

• 20201001_130310.jpg
    20201001_130310.jpg
    891.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 20201001_130431.jpg
    20201001_130431.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 162