Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

17" coil sensitivity

Tony

Is it normal for the 17" coil to be less sensitive at the back end (that is the end nearest your feet).

My coil is very sensitive at the top half but the back 1/3 doesn't sense much of a target ??

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony said:
Is it normal for the 17" coil to be less sensitive at the back end (that is the end nearest your feet).

My coil is very sensitive at the top half but the back 1/3 doesn't sense much of a target ??

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Tony

*******************************​

Tony....You should do an 'air test' to correctly resolve your query......

Use a small coin to explore your search-head's field pattern.

Let us know your findings please.......Matt

'

Matt,

With an airtest, sensitivity is consistent down the entire length of the coil but for a buried target then the bottom 1/3 struggled to hit the target but the top 2/3 of the coil was fine.

I will investigate further....thanks.

Tony

PS...This was for a nickel buried at 10"

JackalopeZL1 said:
Do you have metal eyelets on your shoes or boots?

No, I was at the beach in bare feet.

Are you testing with the target visible or is it buried? Also are you pin pointing or are you sweeping over the target when you notice the depth change? Ive got quite a few hours with my 17 inch coil and Ive not noticed a loss in depth from front to back however I have noted that I am often off on the pinpoint and this has a real effect as to how I deal with how deep the target aside from where it is. If the coin is vertical it throws off the target depth as well as because it wont give a correct read on where the coin is.

Im curious how far off is the change your seeing given that you sweeping over a visible target with no other metals nearby?

The target was buried flat at 10". I will revisit the beach and test again.

Noticed this when sweeping normally but an airtest does not replicate this.

Tony.

Tony said:
The target was buried flat at 10". I will revisit the beach and test again.

Noticed this when sweeping normally but an airtest does not replicate this.

Tony.

If you discriminate iron, then that's pretty typical behavior for a 'partially masked by small nearby iron' kind of signal behavior.

It may be that if you clean the area in pinpoint mode to clear ALL the junk, it will work just fine when you test again.

Let us know, and have fun...
HH
mike

I have about 1200 hours on the stock 11" coil and 80 hours on the 17" coil.

I have done little experimenting and testing with the 17", and do not think I have learned how to use it yet, but I have the impression it has 5 equally spaced hot spots down the center line of the coil - one at the top , bottom, center, and at the cross braces. when I pinpoint a target, I swing to coil to find a line the target is on, then walk around 90 degrees and "x" the target to find which if the 5 hot spots the target is at.

I have the impression the 11" and 6" coil only have one hot spot at the center during pinpointing and a more uniform line of sensitivity during detecting.

or I could be completely wrong