Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

17" Wiggle Pinpointing

AgIA

Hi Everyone - I've been contemplating buying the 17" coil but had a question about pinpointing. I almost never use the pinpointing feature but instead use the wiggle method as I learned to do through this site. Does this still work well with the 17" assuming you don't have interference from multiple targets of course?

Thanks and hope everyone's getting some good end of the season hunts in!

Only way I can pinpoint with the 17" coil is by wiggle method. I wiggle back till the signal disappears, then forward till it starts. The target is approximately 1" behind the front of the coil usually then.

I too was worried that the coil might be too big for pinpointing but I needed ground coverage and th extra 20% depth because I MD a old golf coarse that's now just a disq coarse. It works great out there with the low trash. I started using it in hightrash parks in the hightrash setting and was absolutely amazed at the ability of the ctx to ignore other targets when it smells a coin even with the 17" coil. The other day I got a dime signal that just sounded slightly strange. Dug a 3"deep plug and dead center of the hole was a large rusty nail 4"deep. I flipped the lid back over the hole pushed it down with my foot then like I always do I rescanned the spot only to hear a perfect dime signal. No kidding that dime was sitting 2" above that nail yet the signal was almost perfect.

Anyway in a hightrash park don't bother with pinpoint. The machine just goes to dumb mode and usually locks on to other trash anyway. I just use the cris cross method. It is very accurate for deep coins, mine are usually near center hole. Shallow coins get tricky so use your pinnpointer first.

My silver take has gone through the roof sense using the 17" any where. I also have found 5 gold rings and 1 gold medallion with it. And I've owened it for 5 months. So yha get it if you can its a wise investment.

I appreciate the comments from you both. That is about exactly what I was hoping to hear. I would still love to hear anyone else's experience that cares to share.

I only use the 17" coil and I hunt some pretty trashy parks. My silver count has gone through the roof since I started using it. I agree that the ability of the CTX even with the 17" coil to sniff out coins amongst the trash is incredible! If I get a good coin signal, I will use the pinpoint, but I pinpoint to the coin/target under the center of the coil and turn 90 degrees and keeping the center of my coil in that imaginary line I pinpoint again. Essentially the + method and it is very accurate. If it is really trashy and the pinpoint want to pull off to one side or the other, I will use the pinpoint to center the coil over the coin/target and do the wiggle back method, again pretty darn accurate.

I find that the CTX is deadly on the coins and will hit through the null and let you know a good target is there.

Also with the CTX, those deeper coins ring loud and true. Earlier this year, I dug a Walker and a SLQ in the same hole and there were every bit of 12".

I have a few videos of using the CTX, just the finds, not live digs at my youtube channel: drj8ke

I also use the 90 degree + pinpointing, it has worked for me...