Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1773 silver 2 Reale Carlos III

Trailduster

Got this bugger today. Wish it was a better specimen but it's my second oldest coin and oldest silver so I'm not too disappointed. I dismissed it at first as a key tag of sorts until I saw the crown then the initials. Found the date later once I got some water on it.

Found at a church that I hit before with 2 other machines that were dead quiet, not even modern clad, so I figured the spot was cleaned out years ago by the old timers as every church in my area seems to be. But, I had an hour lunch break and it's close to work so I said, fudge it, let's see what the NOX can do. I have a 600 and was using the 11" at the time. I plan on going back with the 6" soon to get a different perspective. Also found 2 wheats and the worst Merc I've ever seen so the spot is definitely not cleaned out and worth going back after this with a full battery this time.

Obverse:
1773 2 reale carlos III obverse by dragonhockey7, on Flickr

Reverse:
1773 2 reale carlos III reverse by dragonhockey7, on Flickr

Nice find TD, she has some thick black crust! Best of luck with the follow up hunt.
Jeff

Cool coin find! Congratulations!

Why is a silver coin so bad? Was it under a pine tree or other that has acid?

Tony

It was within 4' of a small tree. Older for sure, dwarf variety but I don't know the genus. Not pine. Leaf tree. About 5' from a spiked iron cemetery fence. Other then that not many variables. Dryer ground than most of the surrounding area and it was only 5" deep. The wheat merc spill I found was 30 yards away and 9" deep in rockier soil.

Nice find I just found a 1 reale obverse completely smooth

So.

After some input from another forum, my curiosity was forcing me to re-evaluate the provenance of this coin

Turns out, as a 21mm diameter that makes it a 1 Real and the JR designates the assayer was Potosi, Bolivia.

Congratulations on finding the reale. What mode were you running on your Equinox?

dougj7 said:
Congratulations on finding the reale. What mode were you running on your Equinox?

I always run Field 2 it seems to be the most stable in my area and plenty deep.

I've experimented with Park but I don't get out much and hate wasting time so I've stuck to what's been working and I must say, I'm proving the advertising slogan right. "Brings old sites back to life."

Follow up hunt.

2 IHP
1 wheat
1953 rosie

Used the 11" again.
Had to really slow down my swing to find those IHP's. Neither were a solid signal on the VDI. Just had to hear these ones and X sweep the spot to out the high tones. Had a fresh heavy rain too so that might have helped. they were in a strip of easy digging dirt I had swept my first time near where I found the Reale. The Wheatie was in the same area as the IHP's but quite easier to find and ID before digging.

The rosie was mixed in with some item #4 in what was once a walkway, now covered in 1/4" of dirt and grass. Not an easy dig but luckily shallow.