Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1807 Draped Bust Half Cent -

coin-star

I layered up, waited for it to get above freezing, and detected a house that is now museum / historical society. I took the Equinox 600 with stock coil and my F19 with a 5" sniper coil. I did most of the yard with the Equinox and didn't find much of anything except (except trash) other than a 1927 wheat penny. I took a break and decided to get closer to the house and some trees on the property with F19 and small coil. I checked some flower beds and found a 22 short casing, but was skunked close to the house. By the base of biggest tree on the property I got a zinc penny signal. It wasn't easy to dig next to the tree, but about 3-4 inches down was a teal colored disc. I couldn't make out any details, so I stuffed it in my bag. Maybe a foot from the first target was a copper flat button.

After I got home, I couldn't make out anything on the coin except for "al" toward the center. I soaked the coin in a 50% vinegar/water solution and started tooth picking every 30 minutes or so. After about 30 minutes I could see "Half Cent" but no date yet. After another 30 minutes I could make out 18 where the date should be. After another 30 minutes I could make out that it was an 1803 or 1807. After another 30 minutes or so I finally concluded I had an 1807. I gave it about an hour more to try and get "Liberty" and "United States of America" to be visible. I decided to stop at around 3 hours, which may have been too much, but I just wanted to see more details if possible.

This is my first half cent and oldest coin for now.

-CS

Nice find got a bunch of large cents back into the 1700’s never found a half cent.

Nice find.

Congratulations on a super find!!

I found out yesterday that this property has been detected in the last few years. I thought it was weird that I didn't find any silver or any modern coins other than a wheat penny and a couple of super crusty zincolns. I am guessing it was cherry picked for high tones. I guess I'll have to go back when it is warmer and really concentrate on the mid tone targets. I may have to take the Nox and Etrac next time and go really slow. I think there might still be some nickel targets or an Indian Head penny lurking with the all trash.

The half penny rang up like a crusty zinc penny on the F19. Maybe that is why it was missed.

-CS

This place had nails all over the place. I didn’t scan it after I got out of the hole. Could be that it rang up higher after that.

-CS

A Half Cent is still on my bucket list. Nice find and cleaning job worked well enough to get a date and details.

Go back and run your detector with no discrimination you may find some masked silver I do it all the time..

The majority of the recent snow just melted. Hopefully I’ll be able to detect again in the next few weekends. I have a small coil for the Etrac coming, so maybe that will help me find something else there. With the Etrac it is easy to switch between disc and none with just a single button press. I’ll defintely try little or no disc.

Thanks for the tip

CS

Congrats on a very amazing find!

Coin-star--

What a thrill it must have been for you to dig an 1807 Half Cent! Congratulations! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel