Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1861 Camp #2

DWild

Just got permission on another pro-southern camp in Missouri. We got a reference to the campsite in a personal diary. It mentions Camp John Doe and said it was called that because the camp was in John Doe's pasture. He also gives a mileage distance from a known town. 3 companies where there 10 days. His brother was the commissary and was supplying everyone. He mentions the people in town came out to visit. I found John Doe's name on an old plat map and the distance from the town matches. We are most likely the only people to pinpoint this location and run a coil over it. The owner knew nothing about it and said have at it. He would be interested to know what we find. It is a grain field with a large creek on a road that was there in 1861. Owner said there has never been any dumps or structure tear downs that he knows of. The place just looks and lays right. This is the same scenario that yielded the double gold, half dimes, dime and other items. This camp was smaller and they were not there as long but I still have high hopes. In our area these camp activities were over by October of 1861. Most went home or moved on south to join the confederates because the Union had taken over the state by then. Most of this Division fought at the first battle of Lexington, Missouri. (Battle of the Hemp Bales)

We will be swinging the coils first thing in the morning and will give an update tomorrow night.

Hey There DWild,

I'll be following along with you as you post your updates. Best of luck to you.

Rich (Utah)

Hunted 4 hours yesterday and 1 hour today. No definite proof of camp yet, but found a couple of possibles. Three of us spread out to try to find proof to back up our research on the camp. One was a first time hunter with an Ace 250, one an experienced Tesoro Tejon user and myself with the E-trac. Never hurts to mix it up. After 4 hours I came up with a .36 ball that looks dropped and old. Nothing else of interest was found by the 3 of us but there was one area with a fair amount of square nails. Again the owner knew of no structures and none show up on the old plat maps.
I went by myself this morning and got in about an hour before thunder run me out. I went right to the square nail area and managed to get a hard hit about 4 inches. It was a .78 ball. Largest lead ball I have ever found. Could possibly be from a Belgian musket. I have heard these were around and a few were even in the Union arsenal here in Missouri. These pro-southerners had no official weapons in 1861 and brought along all sorts of guns. I will keep searching and hopefully find a dated item, button or some sort of proof. Maybe that 3rd gold coin is at this site. I have learned that anything can happen. I will attach photos. I will include a closer shot of the small ball where you can see what looks to be the spru cut.

That .78 ball is a whopper!

Rich (Utah)

man thats some good research! wish I could find a diary like that im close to wilmington n.c. and alot of the homesites I hunt have civil war relics in them waiting on the camp to show up think I may have found a small one where I found the sunburst and s.c buttons but the crops are planted now .

The chase is the reward. Anything found is just sweet bonus.