Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1884 House

hubbler

Got out for a couple hours this morning. Lady I work with recently moved into a house originally built in 1884 and said I could detect it. Wasn't hot and heavy but found a few keepers. Barber dime is 1907; V-Nickel is 1904; Indians are 1891 and 1907 (gouged), wheats are 1909 (vdb), 1916D and 1920D. The barber was up next to the curb and only 3" deep and came in at 12.43. The V was 6" and 12.11-14. the Indians were deepest at 6-7" and came it at 12.36-37. The wheats were 3 to 4" at 12.40-42. Only found three clad coins, so undoubtedly someone had been there--however it probably wasn't with a minelabs.

Hope to get back out before cold weather sets in for the winter...

HH

Ron

Awesome hunt & lucky to have access to such a old place to hunt. :minelab:

Nice finds. Most of the coins you found were shallow to moderately deep. There might be more there hiding deeper.

Ironsight, there's no doubt more there and I'll do my best to uncover some of it before winter sets in. Also going to door knock some other houses in the neighborhood. Guessing they'll all give up a keeper or two if I can get permission.

Excellent Finds Ron!
Definitely with a house that old there could be a deep seated coin hiding somewhere.
Barber,V and Indians makes for a great day.

Great finds!

If the soil is difficult at all I would keep going back with different coils, at different angles, and also different moisture levels. Following is the reason I say that.

I got to hunt a 1912 house in the town I live a few years ago and it kept giving and giving every time I (and my friends) went back over a two plus year period. There was a fair amount of iron in the soil that made it hard to see, but it was also a loamy soil that was nice digging.

This yard gave me several firsts including Barber quarter and buffalo nickel (see American Digger, Sept. 2013 for story). I found a 371st Regiment WWI medallion (in the SC State Museum) and a civil war SC coat button. I also retrieved four Mercury dimes, one Barber dime, and 20-30 Wheaties from teens to early 40's (no new coins at all).

I would go hunt this yard whenever I was looking for something to do. I also became good friends with the owner, who is in his 80's, which made it difficult to hunt because we would talk too much.

One of my last trips back I found an 1883 "no cents" V Nickel and a buffalo in parts of the yard I had covered many times before. I plan to go back over Christmas just to see if anything was missed or the ground conditions have changed to show me something we missed.

I hope you find more on your next visit.