Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1916D Mercury Dime.

Idaho PRB

I have a friend that I have known for about 25 years. We have bowhunted and fished together off and on since we met. He is the greatest bowhunter I have ever met and has taught me to think outside the box when it comes to hunting with a bow out here in the West.The way he teaches is to plant a seed of thought and let you stew on it. Sometimes it is very frustrating because you just want him to give up the information so you can instantly be as successful as he is. He is willing to share this knowledge with just about anyone. The catch is, most people don't REALLY listen and work to find the simple answer in the riddles he sometimes presents. He told me once, with a grin, after he saw progress in my stalking skills " Jeff, most people will never get it". I feel priveleged to have met him and I am the richer for the friendship.
I was doing some work at his house around the first of this year and we got to talking about what each of us had been doing lately and I replied that pretty much all of what little spare time I have, I spend metal detecting. His eyes lit up and I could see that there was a pretty big interest there. He continued to tell me that his Dad did quite a bit of detecting in the 70's and had found quite a lot of silver. He said his Dad had traded some of that silver for a newer metal detector that could pass over a coin and tell you what date it was. I chuckled, thinking that is probably just exactly how those Guy's must have seen the first TID machines.
I told him that he should borrow that machine from his Dad and we would go out together and maybe I could help him out with the basics of operation. I read up on the machine because I am not familiar with it and we met at a local park for a couple of hours. He was getting the hang of pinpointing and digging a plug and actually found quite a bit of clad. We parted ways that weekend and agreed to get together soon for another hunt.
The following weekend on Sunday, he called me about 2:00 PM and asked if I would like to head out to an old work camp that he had got permission to detect from the landowner. I was watching my Daughter and my Wife didn't get off work until 4:00 PM, so I declined.
After my Wife got home from work, I talked her into going to the park with me so I could get in a little hunt and we could run the dog and get all of us out of the house for an hour.
I had not been there for 20 minutes and had found a pretty cool old key and a wheat cent when my cell phone rang and it was my friend. He said "I've been here 20 minutes and I've already found 2 Indian Head Pennys! I congratulated him on the finds and got back to my peace and quiet. Five minutes later he called again and I was thinking I should have left the phone at home. He says " I just found a 1916 Mercury Dime" I said "DON'T RUB IT!!!" he said "why?" I said "Because that could be a $1000.00 dime!!". I told him to stop what he was doing, wrap it up in kleenex or something and go put it in the truck RIGHT NOW.
He called me later that night to confirm that it had the D mintmark. Unbelievable! He still didn't know what he had. He wanted to sell it so he could buy the detector from his Dad so I put it up on the online auction and it closed for $1030.00. More than enough to buy the detector from his Dad and a new pinpointer as well.

WOW - Your bud made a killer find and made a nice chunk of $$$ and didn't even know what he had!!!

Great read! Thanks man! Appreciated the pictures too!

NebTrac

great story and awesome beginners luck on your buddies part...Now its your turn, i hope you get the biggest buck next deer season!!!

What a great story and post Jeff.:thumbup:

Congrats to your friend on the 16D...and a special congrats to you and your wife on finding the quality hour of peace at the park:angel: