Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1930 Captain Hawks Flight Patrol Badge / Silver Jewelry and Coins

Dave, you have some great "finds" there. Frank Hawks probably flew bi-wings. In your research did it mention if he was a WW1 pilot? Maybe an old barn-stormer? I know he must have had an exciting life. Sure hope he lived to a ripe old age. As you know the WW1 planes were held together with wood, glue and linen. Tough guys. But it was cutting edge technology in it's day.

Hey Willy,
Yes, Frank Hawks was a WWI pilot also. He was born in Marshalltown IA.
He is also known for giving Amelia Earheart her first plane ride ever at a state fair. Amelia's father paid him $10 for the ride.
He was only 41 when he passed away in 1938. He was flying an experimental plane that crashed.
Dave
Dave, you have some great "finds" there. Frank Hawks probably flew bi-wings. In your research did it mention if he was a WW1 pilot? Maybe an old barn-stormer? I know he must have had an exciting life. Sure hope he lived to a ripe old age. As you know the WW1 planes were held together with wood, glue and linen. Tough guys. But it was cutting edge technology in it's day.

Finds are from the past few weekend hunts since my last post. All finds shown were found pretty close to home with my MInelab e-trac metal detector. All the sites I hit were researched public city parks and old schools.
The flight patrol badge shows why you should chase those odd tones as it was ringing in at 12-25 on my e-trac. It was deep so I went after the signal.
Frank Hawks was a famous aviator born in 1897. He was known for record breaking flights sponsored by Texaco. The badge I found is a fan club badge from some of his comics and radio shows.

The small smooth silver ring appears to me to be an old coin ring as the inside looks like the faint smashed wreath for either an early 1900s barber or 1800s seated liberty dime. I pulled that today at a local old school site.
Also found today at the same site was that huge $1.00 merchant token. That has to be a rare token as I didn't even recognize the town name and could only find one historic reference to it online.
It was located 4 miles from the town I found the token in and must have been long gone for many years.

Another neat find to note was that sterling religious medal hooked to a 1946 wheat penny. That was found yesterday (see pic with finds in my hand).

The barber dimes were very small tight signals about 8 inches deep. The 1910 had a piece of Iron laying directly on it and the 1903 was about an inch from a very large and corroded spike nail.
Thanks for looking!
Dave

Coin Finds
1941 2 Pengo (Large Aluminum coin - from Hungary)
1940 Mexican 20 Centavos (72% silver)
11 U.S. silver dimes back to 1903.
Nickels back to 1893 (2 V nickels, 2 Buffalo, 1 Silver War Nickel)
1892,1899 Indian head pennies
27 Wheat pennies back to 1918
1946 Canadian Penny

Other Finds
1930 Captain Hawks Flight Patrol Fan Club Badge
10K G.F. ring with silver front
Old Silver Coin Ring
Small Sterling ESPO ring
Brass ring
Sterling Religious medal hooked to 1946 Wheat penny
Very small town (now gone) $1.00 Merchant token
Small, enameled Exxon Pin
Large Catholic medal (not very old - plated)
Some Kind of Winding Key
Old suspender clip (Meichers? sp.)
Older advertising pen
few assorted small buttons, zipper pull, etc.
View attachment 25941View attachment 25942View attachment 25943View attachment 25944View attachment 25945View attachment 25946View attachment 25947View attachment 25948View attachment 25949View attachment 25950
WoW
One heck of a Hunt.
Congratulations

Walamalu!

The aliens dropped the Etrac in his lap. Etrac + esperience = silver finds.