Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1945 War nickel...

I dug my first Equinox war nickel yesterday. I was in Park 1 and it rang up 19-20, was about 9 1/2 inches deep with a 3 1/2 nail in the hole. This is my 5 war nickel for the year, the other 4 were dug with a 3030. They rang up in the 12-42 area on the 3030. I thought it might be another Indian Head Cent since I dug one last week and it rang up 19-20. Has anyone else dug a War Nickel with similar VID?

Joe

I found a 1943P today hunting an area that I went over six times with the CTX. It was jumping between 12 and 13 and about 4 1/2" deep. I had everything notched out below and 14 -20 notched out too. I was hunting with a recovery speed of 1 and also hunting in Park 1. It is nice to see that you recovered your nickel so deep. I have never found a nickel deeper than 4 1/2" with the equinox even though it seems to be attracted to nickels closer to the surface.

Joe...if you dug 4 war nickels with the CTX at 12-42 your CTX has some major issues,or there were other coins around. Ain’t no way no how.:)

War nickels can be weird.
I have dug them from very near regular modern nickel numbers up to zinc like where yours came in.
They will be higher than regular nickels but how high evidently depends on more than one factor.
Can't trust em...just gotta dig em.

Yep, each one will be different. There is one thing I have learned in my 49 years of metal detecting, and it is that unless you dig it, you will NEVER EVER know for sure what the target is just by the beep or the VID of your detector. You can have a pretty good idea but just as soon as you get real cocky about calling the target, one will surprise you. And that you can count on.

tcp,

The spot where I have dug most of these high tone War nickels is one that you only dig if you are pretty certain that it could be silver. I don't dig cents, or nickels as the effort is not worth it. In 1947 they covered an old fairgrounds with 8 inches of big rock red gravel for a parking lot. It has sense been sowed with fescue and now has about 2 inches of natural compost dirt besides the height of the fescue. It usually takes a pick to break through the gravel to the target below. It will take 10 to 15 minutes to recover a target here and you don't waste time on nickels and cents for sure. So War nickels are about the only nickel I ever dig unless they were part of spill back in the day. This detector has really surprised me. It is a winner. I can't wait to get it wet at Christmas vacation in So Cal.

Joe

I would need to know the circumstances surrounding the 12-42 war nickel I guess. But if someone ever shows me a video of a war nickel of any kind coming in that high on a air test it’d be the first I’ve ever heard of it. Almost every target I’ve ever had a question about(ViD didn’t match the target) there was an interfering item somewhere. Sorry,just can’t picture it. I just ran 10 war nickels over the stock CTX coil and none came in any higher than 12-16,and even that was just momentary as it settled to a 12-13/14. Maybe different settings have a drastic effect on the numbers? Not doubting what you’re saying Joe,just trying to learn. For every occurrence there has to be a reason, and the junky turf I hunt has plenty of occurrences! But almost all also have a reason...

I’ve found 2 war nickels with the 800 this year and both were 12-13. And both about 6”.

I found another 1943 nickel yesterday making it two in two days. I do not think I found three before Sunday in thirty years of detecting. They came from two different parks. It too read a 12 or13, so I figured another nickel, and it was only about two and a half inches deep. I am surprised that they do not read higher with the silver content.

IDXMonster,

PM me an email address and I will send you iPhone video that I took a few minutes ago on my patio of the War nickel that I dug this past weekend. I laid it on a rock table on my patio. So it is basically an air test. I will be more than happy to send it to you, in fact I insist that I send it to you and for you to post what you see in the video. And if you can youtube it, please post the address so that others can see it also.

Joe

IDXMonster said:
I would need to know the circumstances surrounding the 12-42 war nickel I guess. But if someone ever shows me a video of a war nickel of any kind coming in that high on a air test it’d be the first I’ve ever heard of it. Almost every target I’ve ever had a question about(ViD didn’t match the target) there was an interfering item somewhere. Sorry,just can’t picture it. I just ran 10 war nickels over the stock CTX coil and none came in any higher than 12-16,and even that was just momentary as it settled to a 12-13/14. Maybe different settings have a drastic effect on the numbers? Not doubting what you’re saying Joe,just trying to learn. For every occurrence there has to be a reason, and the junky turf I hunt has plenty of occurrences! But almost all also have a reason...

After Joe was kind enough to email me an air test of a war nickel I can say with confidence that someone at the US mint is full of you know what! Knowing that all other nickels I’ve found have been in the normal “nickel range”, there are CLEARLY some that either A) have a way higher content of silver in the alloy,or B) are actually silver PLATED with an underlying core of some kind,or C) these machines are getting confused by what they’re seeing for some reason. The numbers are just way too high,19-20 on the EQ and it got up to 12-34 with the CTX. If anyone out there works in a metal fab shop or has access to an XRF gun,we would certainly be anxious to see WHAT is actually in a few of these things!
Thanks Joe, I can say I saw it happen. I don’t know WHY,but there it is. Just another anomaly in this great hobby of ours!

Back a few years ago someone sent me a war nickle that read like a zinc penny as I had to try it myself on my Sovereign. It read 176 on my 180 meter, on my wife's MXT it read like a zinc penny also so I had to post this and wondered why. From what I was told by several including Monte that in some ground the magenesse is leached out of the war nickle which will make the nickle read higher. Since then I have seen others too and even around here ND,SD,MN we are seeing a few of them from others I have talked too.
Now on my Sovereign with the 180 meter I found war nickle like most other common nickles read 143-144 and once in a while I got one that read all the way to 151 like the round pull-tabs, but the tones said nickle is why I dug them.
I think in some area you will see this more often than others as I have seen a very few up in my area, but we have seen in other areas where they are more common. this is why I feel the idea of some ground does something to the war nickles as they have been in the ground for year while a air test on ones from the coin shop will not read this high.

Rick

IDX --

I love this thread; Joe and I went through this exact same thing -- he and I -- a few months ago, regarding these "strange reading" war nickels. The only difference being that I have hunted with Joe many times, and thus I know that he knows exactly what he's doing (he's been doing this a LONG time) -- and thus he didn't have to "convince" me, I just went straight to the "let me try and figure out the "why" and the "how" of this."

So, when he told me about the various readings of the war nickels he was digging, I asked him to send them to me. I have a small collection, including three that Joe sent me, that read anywhere from the normal "13" on the EQX (12-13 on the CTX), all the way up to Joe's 12-42 (on the CTX) one, and everywhere in between. I did alot of research, talked to alot of people, detectorists, and otherwise, on various forums.

Eventually, I DID have some XRF analysis done on a few of the nickels -- the three Joe sent them to me (OH, Joe, please remind me to send them back to you, LOL!) But, as far as XRF goes -- as much as I had hoped, I found out that that's not a "magic bullet," either. XRF is MUCH more complicated than you'd think, you have to use the right "calibrations," and set the machine to proper voltages depending upon the metal you are looking for, and the lab that did the analyses for me was not set up for analyzing the metals I was interested in -- especially not noble metals. They were more geared toward oil exploration, and doing XRF of rock core samples, in search of oil. So they didn't have the right "calibration data" to use, to calibrate their XRF to look for things like silver, etc.; they didn't know what voltages to use...they simply had no experience looking for the metals I was wanting info on. So, we did the best we could (it was free, so I could not complain!) Though I was not able to get ANY info on silver content, one thing I was able to find out, was that the amount of copper and manganese varied wildly within the coins. It became clear that these coins were almost DEFINITELY not minted to specific standards, in terms of metal content. It's almost like they just threw together whatever they had available, with availability of certain metals likely dictated by the ongoing war. Here is a thread I started, over at a coin forum. It's an interesting read, I think (results of the XRF are posted on like page 4 of the thread).

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=319459

This remains a mystery, that I'm not sure exactly how to solve, but there are definitely "secrets" that even the 2018 U.S. Mint may no longer know, about what went on back then with the minting of the "war nickel."

Steve

Steve...I DO indeed recall this thing going round and round before. I’m also hoping that there are records of some kind which confirm or refute the constitution of ALL war nickels,at ALL mints for ALL dates. Was someone stealing the silver and substituting something else? Was it even worth it to do so?
Glad to see you’re busy with the “rod business”,and hope all else is well...

Kevin,

This is what so great about the forums. We can exchange information that we normally would not have access too and in a short amount of time. When you are able to see the "unbelievable" for yourself, it changes your perspective of things. This has been a great hobby for me for 49 years. While I sometimes question folks about things, it is to get a better understanding from their perspective. And I have really learned that even though something has NEVER worked that way for me, that doesn't mean it didn't happen that way for someone else. When talking about electronics and man made objects, all bets are off as far as "set in stone". LOL Glad we are on the same page with this War Nickel thing. If you have never seen it, it is hard to grasp. I have been dealing with it for decades with multiple detectors and have come up with "0" answers as to "why" or "how" (although I do know the "when")LOL
Let's figure this thing out!!!

Joe

You’re right Joe,and I know for sure Steve G. is all about the WHY WHY WHY also! If we know WHY then we can USE the answer to further our cause,instead of it being a never ending unanswered question that we have to wonder about all the time.
Of the machines you’ve used over the years,what would you consider to be the most reliable at telling you what it thought it was seeing? Like...the machine says DIME and it’s a DIME.
Just curious,I’ve heard some of the analog Whites in the day were exceedingly good....

Kevin

Kevin -- I've heard some of the 5900 versions of the Whites machines WERE exceedingly good, but only down 4-5"...they could see deeper than that, as I understand it, but that super-accurate ID was only super-accurate down to that 4" to 5"...no personal experience there, though, just what I've read, over the years.

I do wish I could get some better answers to this war nickel thing, though so far, after exhausting the XRF option, I'm not sure what the approach needs to be, from here...

Anyway, all is going pretty well here, I hope the same for you!

Steve

Great post/thread guys I have been watching from the side line. 1st I want to commend everyone's behavior as this is how a discussion should proceed. 2nd I have dug quite a few ":war nickels" and not personally experienced this phenomena . 3rd I totally believe this is a real issue based on what could occur at the mint during a war event ie shortage of material. I have noticed this in the wheat penny series certain dates always come out of the ground in excellent condition 1919 being one of them.
Jeff

The 3030 is pretty good but for me it has to be a CZ6A that I used for years. It was the most spot on detector for almost anything. If I was on a Civil War site and it said square tab you could bank on it being a Minnie, If it said "cent" then it was a .69 round ball/canister shot. Reliable on so many levels. Love that series of detectors. But my equinox is growing on me too. LOL

Steve,

My detecting buddy and I always joked when we saw someone hunting in a park with a Whites, that it was great because he would clear out all of the shallow stuff and we could go in with our Minelabs and dig nothing but the deep stuff. LOL

Joe