Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1950 Drive-In movie

I am not a good one to ask on this, as I run 0 disc. all the time. I can see some bottle caps getting dug as many do in fact read higher. The tab thing, though, is strange. I suppose you have tried your disc. setting on the same targets laid out over clean ground? If the tabs aren't disc'ed out then there probably is a problem with your detector. Also, do a factor reset first and foremost. Some how you may have got the tab segment notched in rather then out. And, good luck. HH jim tn

Well went back today with the 1270 and 10.5, Disc 10, sen 10, one memorial 6"s 3 hour hunt, about 35 pulltab and 2 old beer can openers and 1 bottle opener. Those were big steel openers so I understand that and the tabs were 2 and 3 in the hole at once, but the F-75 didn't make any sense, why give 1-6 ID iron numbers on the screen at 65 DISC. And to make sure I wasn't multi hits combined I was diig6ing wide and extra deep holes, have to admit some were multi tabs but spaced a little apart. I noticed no one jumping on this one.

still looking 52 said:
Shooter that is the craziest thing I've ever heard, I could understand maybe once in a blue moon getting a pull tab with disc set at 65 but to regularly get them that seems impossible. My thoughts are your machine isn't working right, maybe some of our more experience hunters have the answer maybe Jim/ Revier/ or Coin rescue has some kind of explanation.

All my 75's hit pull tabs at 7" at least, and id as coins. Once out of the ground no signal at all. Nothing else was in the ground. I have made posts way back about that.
The tabs were the early 60's....and most had tails and rings... The discrimination made no difference at 0 or at 65............

Thank for the response Jim, good points i"m going to check comments out. Don't think tabs are notched in, cause notched shows 1 and i went from 0-65 straight out I think I did try it out of the ground but thinking of so many different thing sometimes you forget. I was in FA mode.She had node troble fiding silver at 8-10"s though even with junk in the hole, that FA is awesome.

Thank El THAT'S good to know, 90 % were full tabs not pieces, is there an explanation for that phenomena or we just live with it, High SEN,mineral, etc.

Fisher told me it sees the round part of tab .. negates on the stem part and up averages to a coin....... They also said what if it didn't see the tab at that depth, and some other detectorists found a seated dime.

Hahahah I guess they were right.. I have to be honest I got a little irritated at digging all those deep tabs... All reading as a good solid coin. Might be our dirt..others do not seem to have the issue where they hunt.

I have owned 4 or 5 F75's in different models released and they all hit the tabs. One would think all my machines were not bad.. LOL......... Other than the tab issues and some EMI with certain ones they worked good, and found good along with some bad targets..

I was never able to get rid of rusty bottle caps.. The DD coil loves rusty crown pop off type caps that have been in the ground for years.. I could never hear the zip zip claimed by some that told me it was a cap..

I look at digging deep tab rings and tales much the same as digging a 7" deep Memorial cent or clad dime. For each to be that deep, the ground most likely has been moved. Which, of course, isn't always bad as silver and wheats can also be shallow. But, getting off track a little. HH jim tn

Thanks Elton that's good information I can understand the detector saying it's a coin when you put it that way and like you I can't get rid of Rusty bottle caps myself, I also get peeved at digging all the tabs when asked F-75 says it's a quarter. And I don't get any zip zip on the bottle caps it's a solid hit.

The joys of using MAX sensitivity settings.

Switch to JE, drop your sens to around 60 - 70 and see if that doesn't help you with your tab collection :)
Might also try dropping your sens to 27 and see if you get some better readings.

HH
Mike

michaelnc said:
The F-75 has zero trouble with steel bottle caps when you use the little concentric football coil.

That is because it is concentric NOT DD ............. Pick up a [size=large]F-70 10" concentric ...[/size] You will be happy with the results and depth is just about as good as the 11" DD

Will try that out > So your saying Max Sen could be keeping the Disc. from fully working on the tabs?

Shooter: I've got the f5 machine and I've never had the pull tab problem your talking about and my brother wv62 has the f75 and he doesn't have that kind of problem either at least not on a regular basics but I never run my sensitively about 70. This park we hunt has a million pull tabs in it, you set your disc down to the nickel range and you get a pull tab every swing you take and dig a tab every minute, next time I'm out I'll set my sensitively up to max and see if I have the same problem your having. Like Elton said maybe it's the type soil you guys are in.

Maybe it is my sensitivity affecting the discrimination on the tips, the next time out I'm going to try a low sensitivity to see what the effect was. I was out yesterday with my 1270 10 1/2 inch coil and I had same problem so maybe it could be a soil and again I was using Macs discrimination on the 1270 with maximum sensitivity. I realize you don't have to have maximum sensitivity on the F 75 to get that so I think I'll try cutting it back and see how that works.

On coin size targets I am not getting any depth gain with sensitivity 86 up to max.

Ron in WV

Went back with th 5" coil, setting Disc 65, SEN. 50-25 adjusted, 1 tone FA mode. The pic is of one hole and the other 30 are just about the same. This one ID'd at 74 dime @ 7" full confidence reading bars. What bothers me is I know this place has to be full of silver from what I got out of the play area.

Shooter: after reading everybody's post and going on how your last hunt went it looks like the only way your going to get that silver is a lot of hard work by getting those pull tabs out of there. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

Maybe your right I'll just drop the post and move on to something else. Thank for the insight.

From the looks of things in the picture your coins are mask by the trash and about the only way to get to them is pull some of that trash. We are hunting a park that has stopped giving up silver but there are still a lot tab like targets showing on the detectors. I am convened that there is still some silver in there. This past summer we have hit that hill side several times and I think SL52 got like 2 silver dimes, I got one and maybe 5 or 6 wheat pennies. The pull tab count would be by the pouch full. Not sure it is worth it but it is hard to give up on that silver.

Ron in WV

IMHO unmasking is the next horizon in metal detecting on most of our sites. No doubt there are some goodies in certain locations that are down beyond the depth capabilities of most detectors (or detectorists), but I truly believe many good targets still remain on the average coin hunting spot, masked.

My buddy and I have been re-hunting a severe iron laden spot and by carefully working small areas at a time with our F 75's and small 5" coils are making the occasional older coin find. In the last week of so we have recovered at least 6 Barber dimes, 2 Mercs and a couple days ago my buddy recovered a 1877cc seated dime. Almost all recoveries were near and around iron. We've removed a lot of iron and trash, but like in shooters case, there is just to much to remove. But, every little bit each hunt helps. HH jim tn

Shooter, how do you ground balance in such a place?
Or, maybe you don't and you just go for default.

Is there much gravel in the area, I'm thinking that all the drive-ins I've ever been to were graveled, it may be possible that at some point they could have graveled it with "Slag" from a steel plant. This stuff in some areas was free for the taking just to get it hauled off, so it was CHEAP compared to gravel.
The only thing about that stuff is I find it almost impossible to detect in and I've not been able to ground balance in it at all.

Mark