Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st Belt Plate. Not sure if North or South?

OK, I found my 1st 1851 Sword Belt Plate....it is not in the best of shape. Never the less, I was very happy to retrieve it! It does have a "91" stamped on the back side, upper left corner. Blank / nothing on the front? North or South, not sure? Any suggestions?
Thanks, Sean

That's a nice find. The Petersburg area has been hunted to death for years and years by everyone and his brother. But all those folks for all those years missed that one. Way to go Pal.:beers:

The only thing on the front is an area where something may have been soldered?

If there are solder marks on the front there was definitely something attached to it. Do you know what troops were in that exact area it was found? If you can get it straightend and get exact measurements you might have a shot at narrowing it down to north or south. Is the tongue soldiered on too? Either way great find.. There are several varieties of plates that had the front soldered on them. HH

I actually dug this plate in Sussex County, about 20-25 minutes away from Petersburg. I am not 100% sure which troops would have visited the 1850 farm house I dug it at? I do plan on going back to see if I can find the rest.

That would be great if you could find the front!! I have a feeling it could be confederate,but I could be wrong? Either way good luck hope you can solve the mystery!

DIGGER-SEAN-N-VA said:
I actually dug this plate in Sussex County, about 20-25 minutes away from Petersburg. I am not 100% sure which troops would have visited the 1850 farm house I dug it at? I do plan on going back to see if I can find the rest.

Sorry Sean, I thought you'd gone back to the rail road stop.

Are theses plates made from "lead" ?
Hahahaha of course ive not found one YET ! VERY NICE FIND

Dirty, looks like doesn't it ! Bent in half.
Cast brass.