Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st hunt with Safari...

gsmith

Traded my F75SE for a Safari....got a short 1st hunt in today, 1st thing I noticed was the weight...very heavy compared to the fisher, but not a big deal...2nd thing was the tones, that's gonna take some getting use to...anyways only got about a hour hunt in in a old,very heavy ironized,minerialized soil park...not much to brag about..few pull tabs was about it. The biggest difference between it and the fisher at this park was the emi interference...the fisher didn't handle it very well ( which is one of the reason's I traded it as most the places I hunt have a problem with emi ) but the mine lab worked like a champ...When you use the noise cancel do you have the coil on the ground or hold it above or dose it matter? Anyways hopefully after getting some time on it it will all be good.

The manual states holding the detector 12" off the ground for noise cancel. I am new to the safari as well, using it mainly for beach hunting. I agree the tones takes some getting used to......it drove me crazy for the first 30 minutes yesterday ( the 2nd time I took it out). I drove to a section of the bay I new would be trashy and decided to dig everything that spit out a signal in coin and jewelry mode, paying attention to three things;

1. Tone
2. Target id
3. Graphic id

Within the hour.... I could distinguish what i like to call the CENTER tone and if the target was worth digging. I pulled up a great deal of pull tabs but I also recovered a gold rosary pendant. Two gold finds with two trips out with this machine. The crazy flute tones is different but with practice you will master it!

Fyi. I performed the noise cancel 1" off the dry and wet sand ( my mistake) with no problems.

Congrats on your Safari, Greg. With due respect to Beach comb, that's a typo. The coil should be on the ground when noise cancelling. Page 38 of Mastering the Quattro (a first generation Safari) which many of us Safari users purchased to understand the new Safari. Recently, Andy Sabisch came out with The Minelab Quattro & Safari Handbook, a must read for the owner of either unit. Here ya go: http://sabischbooks.com/

Please keep us updated..i'm using a Garrett GTP 1350 but want a Safari!!!

kschae4 said:
The coil should be on the ground when noise cancelling.

Yes, the coil should be on the ground when noise cancelling. Hang with the Safari, once you learn the tones and numbers you will love the Safari - but learn the tones and TRUST the numbers.

Don

BLRRLB said:
Please keep us updated..I'm using a Garrett GTP 1350 but want a Safari!!!

BLRRLB,
I certainly will...I don't get a lot of time to go hunting, with my job I go to work in the dark and get home in the dark so that usually just leaves the weekends. But I have no doubt the the fbs tech of the Safari will, once I get the hang of it, be a major improvement for me in the area's I hunt especially for older silver coins in these " hunted to death " older parks in my town.
Greg

Congrats on your safari purchase, like Don posted, noise canceling on the ground is a good idea seeing as though you will be detecting the ground and not a foot off the ground. once you learn the song of the safari you will like what it sings to you. Be patient with the machine and get Andy's book it is a good informative read. :detecting: Ron

ronaldj2 said:
Congrats on your safari purchase, like Don posted, noise canceling on the ground is a good idea seeing as though you will be detecting the ground and not a foot off the ground. once you learn the song of the safari you will like what it sings to you. Be patient with the machine and get Andy's book it is a good informative read. :detecting: Ron
Ron,
I just got Andy's book in the mail yesterday....had my 2nd hunt today...little better....4 pennies...at least 1 was a wheatie...but all's good...I've been at this for over 15yrs and know it's just a matter of getting used to the machine and getting some hours in on it....:)
Greg

Hi, gsmith, I like the tones, easier on my ears, I use the 6X8 SEF and it's great in those trashy areas . I agree noise cancel on the ground. In the two months I've owned mine I have found 1- Indian cent, 2-silver dimes, 2-silver quarter, and 1-40% half, along with the wheaties and clad. HH:thumbup:

Coil on the ground...Move as little as possible until completed.

I see other comments.......below

If you around power lines there is a different way. That is to put the coil in the air and noise cancel..

Joe of South Jersey said:
Coil on the ground...Move as little as possible until completed.

I see other comments.......below

If you around power lines there is a different way. That is to put the coil in the air and noise cancel..

Joe,
Thank-you, that is some vauable info I wasn't aware of....

Your coil is an antenna... The antenna emanates a signal in one of several selected bands as determined when you noise cancel. When running the noise cancel routine your antenna (coil) needs to be in the same position you plan to use it in (about an inch of the ground). During the noise cancel routine your machine runs each of it FBS frquencies and listens to the expected recieve frequencies and reciever logic decides if that is noisy or clear. It then either accepts or rejects that channel and moves onto the next.

A Coil held in the air will pick up more signals than one noise cancelled near the ground. Therefore noise cancelling as you use the machine will select the right frequencies and holding it in the air will not. Place and transistor radio on the ground and listen to a weak signal. Then lift it off the ground and you will note the signal strength is higher. Your doing the same thing to a safari. By trying to noise cancel up high your really not noise canceling at all as the grounds interference is further away by the coils elevation.

The noise cancel process in a safari is really a frequency selection process done by determining which FBS frequencies are noise free for the machine to work with most effectively. The enviornment, the soil, its conductiivity, EMI (electro magnetic interference), nearby power lines (overhead or suberanean), radio stations and their harmonics, all impact and come into play when noise cancelling. Luckily all you need to do is press the button at the hunts beginning and you'll be all set. Running it again if conditions change (soil, soil moisture content, proximity to power lines, radio's, transmitters, etc.)

A safari that's noise cancelled by holding it's antenna up in the air will undoubtedly detect and select the FBS channels not interfered with by the strongest signal around. That may not be what you want to run the machine under..

PS Noise cancel over clean ground free of targets....

Good luck out there....:beers: