Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st time out

texjim

I got out for a quick hunt on Friday for the first time this year. We have been burried with snow here in N.E. Pa. I got a clad dime and penny. I also got a slug from a electrical box that threw me off because i thought it was a really worn large cent at first with some pretty green patina. I can't think of what else it could be. I also got a heart pendant that looks to be gold plated and some other thing with a green stone. Thanks for looking

Don't be so quick to sign off on the possible coin. If it has green patina, it is likely copper and I don't think electrical boxes were made from copper. You might want to check the diameter and weight and compare to known coins and early coppers. Maybe some hot peroxide baths will help clean the "coin" better so something might show up..........:shrug:

I was thinking the same thing. I did give it a hot peroxide and this is the end result. The only other thing i was thinking of was someone took a penny and put it on the old railroad track that was laying in town back in the olden days.

My first large copper slug found with my v3i got me a English large cent and Whites gave me $100 for the story and pic. I didnt know what it was until it got some cleaning.

Your in a great area when you start finding little charms like that. I am sure gold is on your horizon.:thumbup:

As a kid I put plenty of pennies on the railroad tracks and if we got one that was flattened perfectly a man at a gas station would pay us 25 cents and he would sell them as necklace pendants for $1. I probably flattened 20 pennies for each perfectly flattened one to sell at the gas station.

Hi Jimmy--

Glad that you got out swinging the coil! Good job on those neat finds. I've found a few coins that were terribly worn but sometimes you can make out a letter or 2 around the rim and often that can be enough to get a positive I D. Good reference books are Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins or The Red Book (A Guide Book of United States Coins). Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel