Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2/14/18 Minelab Equinox 800 initial thoughts.

Beyonder

Up front: I have owned two E-tacs and two ctx 3030s.

I have to say my excitement level was through the roof by the time I got to my parents house to pick up the Nox. However, I got roped into watching a movie with mom(she misses me lol) so by the time it was all said and done, it was around 11 pm by the time I did the unboxing and a few tests.These are my honest thoughts. Some are negative, some are positive.

Packaging was great. Everything was neat and nicely packed.

The feel of the machine will take a bit getting used to. Someone said the Nox is nose heavy, I agree however it also feels like it pulls you in the direction you swing(like swinging a bowling ball, not heavy, but it pulls you)

The material it was made of seemed less than Minelab standards, but that could be me. Some of the plastic parts felt like recycled plastic(stiff and rigid) like if you dropped it on pavement it would break easy. The lower shaft(made of plastic) worries me a bit as in a good whack may cause it to snap.

The design is really nice. The control housing, charging system, button layout, interface, weight all feel great. Whoever designed it really put some thought into it.

Machine complexity is fine. if you are a beginner, just turn on and go. However, if you are advanced user, be prepared for a slightly steep learning curve as some settings work both with and against each other. I like a steep learning curve.

Charging time. The battery was empty when i got it, so I charged it using a quick charger and had a 2/3 full battery in an hour(thats real good).

Operation. Each of the modes are completely different(which is fantastic). Like park one and park two. They both react to the same test differently.

Performance. I did a few videos on this and will be getting them out in the next few days or so. I will say this, the results were not what was expected, however, they will only get better the longer you use the machine.

Overall. I am pretty excited to get this out in the field for some tests and actual hunting. Despite some of the short comings listed above, I know this machine will be a keeper for me.

Thanks Beyonder. What a good son hanging out with Mom...... I look forward to hearing more from you about your time with the Equinox.

dmnz said:
hey there - what are your initial thoughts compared to the CTX ??

Great question. I am not going into performance just yet I need at least a week or two just to get used to the machine.

The CTX felt like a tank compared to the Nox.

CTX- much heavier you will fatigue quicker compared to the Nox.

CTX more solid if you dropped it on pavement It would get scratched and maybe dented the Nox a piece would break off.

CTX has a much steeper learning curve compared to the Nox overall.

CTX has a solid uniform swing where the Nox feels nose heavy(Im thinking this is because of the lower shaft).

More to come...