Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3030 finds a 1914 D Merc.

utahshovelhead

I took time a few weeks ago to go through my finds from this summer and started searching the mercs...I had to look 6 or seven times before I started asking everyone with good eyes if they could see a D as I could not believe it. Ive been hunting for many years but did not ever expect to find a 1914 D. Im pretty sure where I found it but it would of been alot more fun had I known it then and not 4 months later, I probably would of dug the whole place up looking for another one. I hardly ever sell coins but im considering selling it just cause its so exciting that I found a rare one. Any suggestions on the best way to capitalize on it? .

Id appreciate any suggestions

1914 D Mercury? You sure about that?

I sold my valuable find through Stacks Bowers Gallery. It was a very good experience working with them

Well that would be a good find considering they did not mint Mercury Dimes until 1916..... Now if it was a typo and you meant 1916-D then you got a winner. Now a 1914-D Wheat Cent is a valuable find......or is it a 1914-D Barber Dime? :shrug:

Keep it man!!!----Have a coin shop send it in to one of the top grading services to be graded and "slabbed".----That's what I did with the one & only '16-D Merc I ever found.------It took me years & literally thousands of coins to find that one--I'm not about to part with it.-----Do yourself that favor & in your old age you will thank yourself for doing it.:thumbup:------Your kids/grandkids will thank you also--knowing it is very special & a rare coin the "old man" found with his metal detector .----I can say that because I'm in my old age right now & that's the way it is!:biggrin:-----------Del

utahshovelhead said:
OOPS! 1916 D . I guess im a bit delirious.

Well if I found one I would be delirious too! Congratulations and yes have it graded.

DONT clean it beyond gentle water and NEVER admit to a coin agency that it was ever in the ground.
And Congratulations!

Congrats Shovelhead. Very Nice find. I'd Keep it.

Rich -

Thanks guys,
I've not really sold any coins other than a few extra tokens over the years but Ive always thought that a guy should sell a rare coin before more of them are found and lower the price...I really don't collect coins to look at them or hold them for investment...Im really more after the hunt and adventure of treasure and the story behind it than I am the value of the item. I know every one asks " what is the best thing you've ever found?" I usually tell them...Peace and Quite , but I would have to say its really the fun and adventure of getting out and exploring some place new and what I might find, whats next? Anyway, seeing that a rare Merc dime will mostly sit there and be looked at then I'm more of a mind to sell it, take the money and buy some new fangled equipment that will help me to get out and find more ...adventure.

Any way first step will be to have it graded and see what I really have.

I appreciate the comments and advice,
Shov

You're right about the adventures. Well Said.

Rich -

Wow, that is the Merc we are all hunting for. I've found a few 1916's without any mint mark but it's still a thrill to flip them over hoping to see that "D".