Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

4 1/2 hour hunt nets 23 coins

digitrich

5 wheats, 5 copper pennies, 5 zincs, 5 clad dimes, 2 clad quarters and (1) 1925d merc in fine-$12 coin, and a rusty Zippo lighter

Trash: 9 screw tops, no way around them I can think of as they all hit 12-40 and 12-41, Guess if you didn't dig dimes maybe:shrug: Need to stay away from BBQ pits in the park.

Large chunk of aluminum foil about the size of a baseball but flat; read 12-40 at 4 inches- thought it was a dime

4 good size chunks of aluminum cans 2 x2 inches, all again read 12-40 and 12-41 only about 4 inches

2 heavy bolts that read 1-50 and were about 5 inches

chunk of melted aluminum from a fire

Big thick chunk of aluminum 3 inches by 2 inches with donut hole in the middle that reads "Playworld Systems" looks the same shape as an exhaust gasket but 3/4 inch thick, that came out at almost 10 inches.

Now before any one gets too excited; my deepest coin was 5 inches and it read at 1-39 and 1-40

This is the nicest soil of any site I have, it's a sandy loam in a heavily treed park so the moisture stays in the soil longer than most areas I hunt. My SE frequently pulls silver dimes out of there in the ten to 14 inch range (deepest I have ever found except for on a beach).

I ran into a couple of things that may help some people as it helped me a bunch:

I got to thinking about how badly my machine falsed and decided to try something new, First off, I got rid of all the darn filters such as difficult ground and dense trash as I had a strong feeling these were crapping up my tones a great deal and helping with the falsing issues.l

I put it in neutral ground, low trash. Left it in auto sensitivity +1. Now my biggest problem with falsing has been in conduct tones, and discing out the screen below ferrous 20 (ferrous 21 to 35). So today I put it in Ferrous, 2 tones and Disced out the entire left side of the screen up to and including conduct 30. Knowing I just gave up nearly all gold coins ever minted, lead bullets, all nickels, and about every button ever manufactured. But hunting in ferrous tones, which I have to in order to control the iron falsing, and having to stop and look at the screen 3 times a swing is not going to fly, period. No Andy, it is not possible in a trashy, pull tab infested park. The way I hunted today though got rid of those pull tabs completely, they come in at 12-23 up to and through 12-30, a couple snuck in at 12-31. I dug a few and stopped doing that. Had a couple nails false at 1-31, not too bad though, way better than conduct tones, way better. By not discing out small iron, it doesn't false. On my SE, if there was a particular situation that made all metal a pain and I had to disc something out, I would choose the thing that didn't cause falsing such as bottle caps to disc out instead of nails and that would allow less falsing and a deeper hunt so to speak. If this darn machine had a way of giving low iron tones and still could give the high conduct tones, I could honestly hunt it like an SE and probably slightly better because of the faster processor. Only if it could achieve the same depth. Mine Lab really botched this ferrous tone thing, it's a shame really. Even after they fix my machine,assuming they can and will, I still am going to be hunting handicapped like this.

All my 1-38 to 1-42 signals ended up being copper pennies on edge or wheats on edge.

All zincs came in at 12-27 clean, but again were not deep, in fact none of the coins were deep.

I dug anything above conduct 35 and that seemed to work.

I didn't see any Indians but this area of that park does not produce many so I don't know if my disc was interfering with them or not.

My auto sensitivity hovered between 20 and 23 which was the highest I have seen it yet and I was using the pro 11.

A couple of times the signals started chopping and falsing and I re-noise canceled and that seemed to help.

I left the machine in fast the whole time as when I turn it off, there is a huge loss of targets missed on this thing. especially with anything disced out.

One thing that I noticed about the tones is that the machine reports allot of different kind of "scratchy" pitches within one tone, I am guessing because of the faster processor, and maybe that is why the tones are not smooth like my Se. I thought about putting the machine in audio long or smooth but I was afraid I might jinx myself, so I left it alone.

This whole scenario of learning this ETrac is very similar to me learning my SE. When I first got my SE, I couldn't find anything deeper that 4 or 5 inches and then I opened up the discrimination and started digging 8 inch deep targets, I don't have that option here with the ETrac and it is sickeningly frustrating.:rage:

Some have posted Conduct numbers being pretty stable compared to ferrous numbers and that is what lead me to using ferrous sounds, two tones and discing out the left side of the screen-(conduct 1-30). That seemed to stabilize the ferrous numbers a great deal and since the ferrous iron was accepted, there was no falsing; just one low tone for iron, easy to ignore and one high tone for coins,easily standing out. Helped incredibly with separation in trash. I imagine, if the 1-30 to 1-35 line became a head ache with nails falsing, a guy could go to ferrous four tone and just ignore most of the highest pitched tones, concentrating on the middle two tones.

Any thoughts or comments, welcome.:detecting:

Have you eveb tried the preset coin pattern in a trashy park with the gain cranked up a little as I get hardly any falsing and am getting up to 9" depth and pulling coin after coin out of heavy trash with an almost constant null.I always ran a open screen on the Explorers but it does not work for me on the Etrac.I have got to the point that I ignore the nulling and find coins in spite of it.Then again it may be your machine.By the way the court house soil was auto 13-14 and still had good results at manual 24-25 ,Ray.

Interesting Thoughts may give this set up a try at a local park that has gave up a few good coins. Thanks for sharing. Not sure how I will like it but I can see where that may work. I have not had much problem with falsing on my E Track Runs very smooth much mor so than my old SE.

About 1 hour and a half, 12 copper pennies (I ignored all 12-27's so no zincs), 4 dimes, 2 quarters all shallow clad, 1 silver kids ring or toe ring. None of the pennies were wheats. Nothing deeper than 4 inches tonight. I even tried suggested sens +6, she went chattery nuts, then I tried Just +4 and eventually had to go down to auto +3. The ground isn't dry and isn't wet, it's in between. I just don't get it Ray, I am getting OK separation in the trash, love the new pinpoint, but I can't seem to get a coin deeper than 5 inches in 40+ hours hunting at 6 different sites. :rage: If this thing could get depth, I would be rocking. 19 keepers in a hour and a half is pretty good numbers, it's not like it doesn't work, it just isn't getting depth:shrug:.

Have you tried burying your own coins at 6, 8, 10, & 12 inches at a particular site? Seems logical to me that rather than spend gas & time driving around, plus writing numerous posts on a forum, that one would want to short circuit the process & get some immediate answers.:geek:

HH
BarnacleBill

No ... I don't own the E-Trac yet but what BB is proposing is a good idea and from what I understand ( from reading post ) the E-Trac is way better on opened holes than the Explorer so it SHOULD find the coins you re-plant at greater depths to let you know one way or the other. Of course I would suggest using the same dug coins put back into the same hole ... just greater depths.
It would be nice to take a ruler and video camera along ( if possible ) and post the results for all of us to see .... should be interesting :thumbup:

Mike

I posted the results a while back, that's what got me worrying about my ETrac and the depth issue. I first thought it was a lack of moisture; then in a 2 day period we received 4.5 inches of rain. When it wouldn't produce depth at that point, I tested it in the back yard and it became clear my F-75 and both my SE's could pick up coins the ETrac couldn't. The funny thing is, I didn't sanitize the ground of anything, I just dug the holes, buried the coins and marked them with plastic water bottle caps. I thought the ET with it's faster processor and see thru technology would have had the advantage over the SE, but it didn't. Later this weekend, I am going to locate an un-dug deepie with my SE and then take the ET over it and go through the settings until I can hear it, but after 40 hours and 8 sites and no target over five inches in damp ground, I am not holding my breath. My dealer's wife found a wheat penny at 8 inches in BONE DRY ground in this same state, so I have no doubt that the ETrac can do it, I think maybe I have an issue with mine. One could just say maybe I haven't swung over a target that deep yet but I planted targets with the same results. The sites I am hunting at with the ETrac right now, I regularly dig very deep targets with the SE's. I am actually finding more coins per hunt with my ETrac in those sites than I could with the SE but the coins are shallow, less than five inches and the Se every now and again finds 8 plus inch targets, so I am getting quantity instead of quality with the ETrac at this point and I have sites where there just aren't any targets less than 5 inches and those sites completely skunk my ETrac cold. If I could get depth out of this thing, I would be having really good days as the separation on the ETrac IS better than the SE.

Good info, i'll give it a try. Today I hunted in "pitch hold" all day and really liked it. When it would get stuck on a high tone and become annoying I would hit the auto/maunal sens button and that restored the threshold.

J

In another thread you mentioned a Sunray Probe. Are you running one on the Etrac? If yes, have you tried it without it for depth? And lastly, have you checked for any battery issues? There may be enough voltage to run the control electronics, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's enough current to drive the coil properly. Hope you get it sorted out.

HH
BarnacleBill

That's why I asked Ray if he was running the SR probe on his, that's the only thing I hadn't thought of checking yet. A while back I had a similar issue on one of my SE's that it wasn't getting depth for crap and Ralph at Sun Ray told me to first take off his probe and make sure there was not a problem with it, which there wasn't. It ended up being my coil. I have 3 other Sun Ray probes, so I am going to try it both with a different probe and then without it all together and see if there is a difference. I doubt it's the probe though. I have a total now of 5 Sun Ray probes and never had any problems like this. But I will check it, after all, the probe on my ETrac, came new, with the ETrac. My dealer and his wife have probes on their ETrac's and they are getting good depth in the same state as me, only where they are, the ground is bone dry, it's damp here, so one would think that our results would be reversed. By the way, quit reading my mind:thumbup:

I have used three different Explorer Nicads on this machine, they were fully charged. Seems the ETrac takes more juice to run as I don't get the same run time out of them in the ETrac compared to the SE. I don't care, I just charge them more often.

Bypass the X-1 probe, use the battery that came with the unit (don't think its a NiCad) and put on the stock coil. Bury a coin at 6, 8, and 10 inches. Check coins with SE and ET. If SE picks them up and ET doesn't return it to your dealer and get a new machine. If you have another Pro coil try using the same coil on each machine. Simplify to try to isolate the problem.