Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

4Khz luck

Bob38

I was hunting a short 2 hour hunt about a month ago where the EMI was so bad I thought I would have to increase my frequency from 8 Khz to 18 or 25 Khz (X35 coil). But I didn't want to do that because the targets were a little deeper than normal (soft fluffy soil with a GB of 74). So I decided to work through the frequency shifts to see if I could get lucky and find an offset that would work. No luck in 8 Khz, 12 Khz, 18 Khz in fact it got worse. Also had to decrease the sensitivity to about 70 for it to settle down. I really didn't want to go into the 18 and 25 Khz due to losing too much depth and hunting the location prior did not yield much of anything just modern clad. So I thought to myself "Hey I didn't try 4 Khz frequency shifts". I knew if I could get the machine settled down at the lower frequencies, I had a fair shot of pulling out a deep keeper. It worked, two of the lower frequencies in 4 Khz were the quietest. The machine went from going nuts to a just an occasional click or two. I also lowered the sensitivity to 82 and turned on the boost option........quiet as a church mouse. I never would have thought that 4 Khz would do the trick but it did and I might get some blow-back from other members that may doubt it, but this did work and snagged a 1921 wheat penny and 1955 Rosey dime. So from here on out I will be checking every position within the lower frequencies first. Both coins were 8 to 9 inches.

Just thought I would share

You were doing exactly what a guy who knows his machine should know to do. You can’t dig what you can’t hear. Excellent post for guys to read and remember. You only know what you dig not what you miss. Get out there

You were doing exactly what a guy who knows his machine should know to do. You can’t dig what you can’t hear. Excellent post for guys to read and remember. You only know what you dig not what you miss. Get out there
I rarely hunt in 4Khz if at all. Now I’m going to be dangerous. I think getting the machine settled is one of the most important things and not discussed enough. Thanks Todd.

I don't doubt you what so ever. Sometimes it takes unconventional settings to get a difficult target to reveal itself.

I get the most depth at 4 khz, boost mode, gnd bal at -2, and sens as reactivity, as req,d. (in most of my soils). Hits all targets.

I will give that a try in the gravle road ,I have a power line 30ft up and in the lower KHZ its unstable at 11.3 i can be right under it and nothing. also i have a cement sidwalk with rebar in it and have a nickle buried 2 ft away and i can not get a beep on the nickle of i swing toward the concreat , but if i turn my sens down to 75 then it comes thru

Say , i just took a second look at the 4 Khz in the gravle road . My word it works, Gain of 82 - @ 4.2 Khz 2 reactivity- 2 IAR - 3 threshold in Gold 1 i get all my copper nuggets in groundwith nice signals no chatter from the over head power line. also my ground balance is 86. also breaks on bottle cap as iron and nails buried nickle is smooth. I have to say this is a great machine

Good going Bob. I use 4khz all the time to check for trash but not for hunting cuz its usually the worst on EMI and in heavy trash. I think we tend to not realize how this machine can get really decent depth even by lowering the sensitivity a lot if we have to. thanks

Good going Bob. I use 4khz all the time to check for trash but not for hunting cuz its usually the worst on EMI and in heavy trash. I think we tend to not realize how this machine can get really decent depth even by lowering the sensitivity a lot if we have to. thanks
I seem to have my sensitivity in the low 80s to mid 70s. A stable machine and the rest is up to the operator.

I just tried the HF 9 round coil on my 8" dime 6" dime. and 7" penny i used coin fast 80 gain, 3 reactivity 13.3 khz and 5-7 disc and this gave the best sound on all three targets, its seems at 90 95 the signal chokes , and even gets hit and miss this glacial sand has magnatite in it . and that why coin fast works better than coin deep i do get a littel better clarity and tiny amount of depth with 2.5 reaction