Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

4x6 coil OR 6x10 for MXT Pro?

KyleTheHunter

I am getting a MXT Pro soon and i am getting another coil for it also....i am just going back and forth between the 4x6 and the 6x10. I am mainly going to use this coil when i hit the really trashy areas. I know the 4x6 is real good at seperating trash....but i was wondering how does the 6x10 handle in those trashy areas? Because i thought to myself...if the 6x10 handles trash just as good as the 4x6....why not get the 6x10 and i will have a coil that goes a little deeper and covers more ground. So basically my question is......How does the 6x10 handle those heavy trashy areas or targets that are close together?

Please don't suggest another coil unless it is better in trash than these two coils because i am getting it for the really trashy areas.

Thanks. :please:

I would get the 6x10dd. Works great in the trash. I dug a 1916 wheat in an extremely iron trashy site. The numbers were bouncing all over but were hit high too so I dug it. Another great coil to consider is the 5.3 ( which is 6.5") works even better in trashy sites and is only very slightly less depth than the 6x10dd.

Rick N. MI

The 5.3, although a bit deeper, would cover slightly less ground than the 4x6DD being that the 4x6 uses a knife blade shaped signal the length of the 6" coil. The 6x10 would use the same knife blade signal along the 10" length of the coil covering considerably more ground. As far as depth goes, the 4x6 is esensually a 4" coil. The 6x10 is esensually a 6" coil. So I think the 6x10 is a closer "Apples to Apples" match to the 5.3 but with added DD features(Mineralization ignoring ability), added ground coverage but less trash seperation. The longer signal (ground coverage) equals more targets seen at any given time, decreasing seperation.

Depth and ground coverage would go to the 6x10.

Mineralization ignoring ability and slightly less ground coverage goes to the 4x6.

Trash seperation to the 5.3 plus nearly tied in 1st place for depth.

I also would lean towards the 6x10 based on the added ground coverage PLUS mineralization ignoring ability when compared to the 5.3. The depth will be nearly tied with the best of the, so far, 3 coils mentioned. BUT you did ask for trash seperation so that would be the 5.3, only marginal. I think the 6x10 has enough benefits over the 5.3 to justify it.

Aarong81 said:
The 5.3, although a bit deeper, would cover slightly less ground than the 4x6DD being that the 4x6 uses a knife blade shaped signal the length of the 6" coil. The 6x10 would use the same knife blade signal along the 10" length of the coil covering considerably more ground. As far as depth goes, the 4x6 is esensually a 4" coil. The 6x10 is esensually a 6" coil. So I think the 6x10 is a closer "Apples to Apples" match to the 5.3 but with added DD features(Mineralization ignoring ability), added ground coverage but less trash seperation. The longer signal (ground coverage) equals more targets seen at any given time, decreasing seperation.

Depth and ground coverage would go to the 6x10.

Mineralization ignoring ability and slightly less ground coverage goes to the 4x6.

Trash seperation to the 5.3 plus nearly tied in 1st place for depth.

I also would lean towards the 6x10 based on the added ground coverage PLUS mineralization ignoring ability when compared to the 5.3. The depth will be nearly tied with the best of the, so far, 3 coils mentioned. BUT you did ask for trash seperation so that would be the 5.3, only marginal. I think the 6x10 has enough benefits over the 5.3 to justify it.

Thanks Aarong and Rick,

I am thinking of the 6x10. I am getting the MXT Pro with it's stock 12" so if i don't like that i could just keep the 6x10 on.....i will have more depth with that than with the 4x6 but at the same time I am also still thinking of the 4x6 because at one of the locations i hunt at it has these two really trashy areas....one is just a bunch of iron but that is where i found my Civil War button. Also the other location there are so many targets close together and that is where my cousin found a silver quarter....So i wanted to get the coil that would do me the most justice with the seperating that junk....so i could hopefully find some trasure. Will the 6x10 do fine in these areas?

Much much better than the super 12! That hog requires pretty clean ground but in the right areas it will get really deep. I've hunted an area with extreme hotrocks using my 950 concentric and nearly gave up but I squeezed out 2 silver dimes before leaving. That was the wrong coil for such extreme ground but you can still manage some finds. Your 6x10 would have worked better than my 950 in that area. That says quite a bit when your asking to compare the super 12 to the 6x10. :tongue: I have the 5.3 but if I also had the 6x10 I would use it more than the 5.3. I just feel like I am moving forward to fast and missing targets with the 5.3. At depth, it has such a tiny cone point and when you move just 1 inch forward you could completely pass over a penny at 6 inches without the signal hitting it. First swipe missing short of the penny and the next missing beyond the penny. The 6x10 would definately cover the area needed to hit that same coin since it has a long narrow signal, you can "step" a bit more between sweeps without risking missing a coin at depth.

The good thing about the 6x10 is that it will also have LOTS of use elsewhere. If you get the smaller 4x6 coil, it may be better in very few spots but will be a bit handycapped when you leave those spots. General detecting with the 4x6 would leave me wanting, especially if my only other coil was the 12".

KyleTheHunter said:
I am getting a MXT Pro soon
Question: Have you already purchased the MXT Pro?

Question: Did you or will you buy it with the stock 950 or stock 12" concentric coils?

Question: Why did you select the MXT Pro with the search coil you mention?

Question: What applications do you have to use the search coil you selected as 'stock' for the MXT Pro?

KyleTheHunter said:
... and i am getting another coil for it also
An excellent idea, but that's my opinion based on the fact that I only occasionally use the mid-size to larger-size search coils due to the types of sites I generally hunt.

KyleTheHunter said:
.... i am just going back and forth between the 4x6 and the 6x10.
I wouldn't suggest going "back-and-forth" when there is an excellent choice between them.

KyleTheHunter said:
I am mainly going to use this coil when i hit the really trashy areas.
Question: What coil will you use when it is only lightly trashy or perhaps moderately trashy?

Question: Do you sometimes search in an All Metal mode, or with 'zero' rejection (the MXT Pro goes that low) in the Disc. mode to determine if there is trash present or not? Some people only make a random guess about trash levels. From experience, I consider ALL sites to be trashy unless I first determine they aren't, but that's me. I take the backwards approach to qualify a site.

KyleTheHunter said:
I know the 4x6 is real good at seperating trash....but i was wondering how does the 6x10 handle in those trashy areas?
Humm, here we go now with the DD sort of thoughts. :rage: Is the 4X6 DD 'Shooter' coil good at separating trash? Yes, it can be, but only if the trash-line is in a row running east-to-west and you are also sweeping the coil east-to-west, then west-to-east. The narrower detection field will usually[/y] be a little advantageous between targets on either side of the search coil.

The 6X10 elliptical DDX will provide very similar side-to-side target placement performance like the 4X6, but the trash target spacing, left-to-right, will also have to be a little greater due to the width of the internal Tx and Rx windings.

So, YES, in u][general[/u], the larger DD will handle trash in a similar fashion as the smaller or narrower DD coil.

KyleTheHunter said:
Because i thought to myself...if the 6x10 handles trash just as good as the 4x6
If the 4X6 and 6X10 handled trash the same, then their performance would be the same and there would be no reason to offer both search coil sizes.

KyleTheHunter said:
....why not get the 6x10 and i will have a coil that goes a little deeper and covers more ground.
Ugh oh! Now you brought up the negative aspect of these two coils, or one associated with them that counters their more favorable appearance. You said: "a coil that goes a little deeper and covers more ground"

If ANY coil covers more ground then it isn't a coil that would excel in trashy sites. If it did, then the 9

Wow Monte...thanks for that excellent detailed response.

Question #1: To answer your questions: I have not purchased the MXT Pro yet, the reason i posted this question is because i am ordering my coill, my detector, and asseccories all at once.

Question #2: I am getting the MXT Pro - E Series, which comes with the 300 LTD Super Spider Loop...which i beleive is 12 inches.

Question #3: I selected the MXT Pro because of all the amazing reviews and good feedback it has got over the years. Also i have been going back and forth between the 4x6, the 6x10, and now the 5.3 eclipse because of those trashy areas. Also i was going to call Kellyco to see if they would swap out the 12" coil that comes with it with a 10" D2.....and if they won't then i would choose a the 5.3 or the 6x10 over the 4x6 because i would have to use it as my main coil because the 12" really won't perform well in moderate to heavy trash areas and like you said, most areas we hunt have trash. (I can only afford one extra coil)

Question #4: The main thing i was going to use the stock coil for was for depth. My dream is to find a colonial coin. I heard that those can be pretty deep. So i was hoping to use the stock coil in the fields or places where there isn't much trash so i could get the depth in order to get an old coin or a colonial.

Thanks again :thumbup:

monte@stinkwaterwells.com

I tried to send a PM but couldn't.

In response to Monte post:

This has to be one of, if not the most informative explanations I have ever read.

Electrician's have a saying about knowledgeable old timers,

and you sir fit that description.

" That man has forgotten more than I'll ever learn "

Excellent !! thank you for sharing your knowledge

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have decided to get a 6" coil, which is basically the same as a 5.3....just not a Whites brand.

Just curious, what is the name/model you bought?

Aarong81 said:
Just curious, what is the name/model you bought?

I have not purchased it just yet but it is called the 6" DD EXcelerator.

The guy from Kellyco suggested it to me, he uses it on his MXT . It can be found on this page if you scroll down...it's by the search coils...the one under the 8x6 SEF.

link: http://www.kellycodetectors.com/whites/whites-eseries-MXT-PRO.htm

[size=large]might be able to save ya enough to buy the small coil with the savings.
posted my XLT on the classified list so can't post my MXT Pro w/ D2. you can always e-mail for info. lowerye747@gmail.com

HH[/size]

I don't know anything about the 6x10 but I have had the 4x6 for a couple of weeks now and I love it. Dug 5 silver halves today with it in a schoolyard that me and my hunting buddy have hunted with our bigger coils before. Dug a 14 karat gold ring with it last weekend so I'm loving the 4x6.