Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5 plus months in.......

sunraysux

so an update for anyone who cares to read on....
got my Etrac end of Feb 2017.....from all the youtube vids and such on can gleen from the internet, it seemed like the right way to go. traditionally a White's guy, this was a very bold move away from that world but i wanted to get more aggressive
set what i thought was a reasonable and yet somewhat lofty goal of 50 silver coins for 2017
given the time//etc it would take to learn this new type of machine...its language and nuances...its quirks and idiosyncrasies....
and man, was the first 3 months frustration !!
wanted to break the damn thing every other day...admit defeat and basically hang it up
watching everyone else kick butt with their Etracs on this forum and youtube....and i was struggling to get it and figure the darn thing out; it was pretty defeating for someone not wired to do well with that sort of thing
well, there has not been the classic lightbulb//epiphany moment or anything that dramamtic....but i seem to be getting it now
i write all this for those that are newbies and are pissed/angry/frustrated/bummed/depressed/etc
hoping it can help you soldier on...press forward....hang in there
it has been 5.5 months....and the goal of 50 coins is dust in the wind.....smoke in the rearview
we are at 57 silvers and counting!!!...i basically have learned to toggle back and forth between a preset Etrac coins modification program in AUTO+3....and an open screen L pattern i put together....also in AUTO+3
the nice thing about the AUTO+3 is that it moves//morphs with ground conditions and your location on the site!!....i used to hunt im MAN and tried to get the darn number as high as possible....it was running way way way too hot!!!....never had a decent threshold signal and the machine would never settle down//super erratic :(
....i run both of my programs in two tone ferrous voicing...my ears are very well trained to that now....the multi option is history!!
wayyyyyyyyyy to noisy and upsetting/frustrating for this simpleton...
my pinpointing and target ID skills are doing well now...and i am slowly digging better deeper things
all the rain we have had this summer is surely helping make the ground accessible to digging and receptive to detector depth penetration so the stars have aligned in that way to give me alot of hunting time and opportunity just when i needed it most
had a few recent pix to post but they keep rejecting in the manner//format i am trying to upload them in
i remember MKUS showed me how to do it months back but i am not on here all that much so i forgot frankly!! lol
hope this helps some guys that maybe in the same boat i was.....

#####ALSO a question to ask the more experienced//learned Etrac users on this site
WHAT to do when the Etrac just will not settle at all because of EMI??
there are places i go and it is generally in the more urban jungle areas....when no matter how many times i re-NC the machine after the initial effort at start-up.....the Etrac is just totally unstable and super hard to control.....EVEN after i dial the AUTO+3 back to AUTO+0...or -3!!! nothing seems to get her to relax so i can hunt and i know the areas i am trying to attack are ripe with deep old targets but i cannot get any sort of stable threshold and thus.....virtually no penetration or stability in the Etrac
....maybe there is a trick to share on this guys????
THX in advance!!!!

I bought a Garrett GTI sold it and got an Etrac I was finding silver right away! and three months in my first gold $5.00 coin I love it but now I have a Deus because of my tennis elbow weight is a big problem with the Minelab.
But I will say this the Etrac is the only machine I use on the beach 100% of the time and Im a tone guy I listen to the sounds of the Etrac..
On the EMI I have never had a problem running +3 so maybe someone that has delt with that will chime in..
I say give it some time try different spots and run in the standard coin setting first..
Good luck..

Great to hear you're getting into the groove and you've surpassed your own expectations already! 2 things you can do to tame EMI....after you've tried every channel and it won't behave...(1) Use a smaller coil (2) Go somewhere else. You could try a different machine if you have one...ALSO....tighten your discrimination way up to just silver/copper items,but it won't fix the underlying problem,which is still going to interfere with your readings and ability to discern deep targets from constant blabbering.

thanks IDX....have tried everything except the smaller coil.....will give that a shot next time
just bought a NEL tornado today as well....so i am going to re-visit a ton of places with that extra 15-25% of possible depth and see what other goodies i can mine from each site

sunraysux said:
...you gave me a tip on uploading pics a while back....mine are too large evidently for this server system
Yeah I had same problem I remember giving you the advice on photos never had that problem on any other website
With size of photos??

Did you try a noise cancel to see if would pick the channel it likes best for that EMI site? That is what doing that at every site is for to give the machine a chance to sample the ground and atmosphere to see what it is happy with to run it's best at that particular spot at that particular time and it could be different next time do a noise cancel each time and see.

Your stability problems.....?

Do you have to hunt in auto-sens. all the time?

Could your coil's Faraday shield be U/S?

Is your scuff-cover cleaned out ?

Find a quiet location...go into manual-sens....20

Now touch your coil...feel around it....(no rinds on or watch etc )

Do you get any erratic responses when squeezing coil?

Let's know how you get on.....matt

When I bought my Explorer XS when they came out, I'd take it to town and just couldn't get it to settle down.
I sent it in for repair of that. I don't know what they did to fix it but fix it they did.

That's me mighty interesting,I wonder if it IS a coil issue as Matt alluded to.
Tony, did ML say what the problem was on your XS?

I can't see if you've tried to revert back to the default settings on the Etrac. Have you?

If not , try it and work your way from there:

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4065/4901-0065-1.3%20Instruction%20Manual%20E-Trac_Screen.pdf

i actually did totally reset it//master reset it like a month ago
i really think it is something inherent in the way it is wired
when it works...ground is decent and the EMI is low...it is a great machine
but it is super picky//finicky
i was on several really awesome sites today after work...really killer sites that i KNOW have lots of old stuff in them
i did the start up N/C....and put her in AUTO+3 to start
too much....kept nulling
backed it off to just AUTO...still too much
backed it off to AUTO-3....still null city
extremely frustrating at times!!!!
i know i am walking all over silver coins....and i cannot get the darn thing to stop nulling
there are other times when she will not stop chattering even when i back the SENS waaaaay off
dumb it down to the point where it will barely read a quarter 3 inches in the ground!!!
so while i have had success in some regards with the Etrac....it still remains a very agitating toy at times....
when conditions are easy...it is super strong
but add some trouble to the mix....it cops out easily and forces me to move to another location which really sucks!!!!
was at a site the other day when i just got my new NEL tornado....it is a site i have hunted 20 + times in the last 15 years and have gotten well over 30 silvers from it
thought it was completely tapped
but the NEL in conjunction with ideal conditions helped the Etrac pull 3 silvers to get me to 60 for the year.... but those were in ideal conditions and as we know, it is almost never like that

Sunray....in those places you cannot run ANY discrimination....NONE. Clear the screen. Switch to Ferrous sounds. What does it do?

hmmm...never did that
i do run in 2 tone ferrous ALL the time...and in all screens
so thats not an issue
but i always have some part of the screen blocked out
either in the minelab coins programs....or the lazy L as i call it
blocking all the ferrous numbers up//including 8
and all the conductives up to and including 25 or so
so i will try running totally open IDX
and let you know

I would agree with IDXMonster, try an open screen or just the "relic" pattern already programmed in to the machine as it has very little disc. Obviously, disc causes the machine to null. I tried the 4TF "Just The Good Stuff" pattern and couldn't go a step with it as the machine was in constant null due to the trash. I then inserted the relic pattern keeping all other settings the same and kicked butt. Yes, you will listen to all of the targets good and bad. Some say it is too noisy to hunt like this...just listen for the high tones in among the low. I turn my head phone volume way down and swing. Your brain will pick out those high tones and pull you up.

There is a possibility that something is wrong with your machine. Personally, I am very pleased with how stable the E-TRAC is. I hunted within 50 feet of some good sized power lines the other day without a problem in very mineralized ground that is difficult to hunt with most VLFs. Good luck!

Dean

IDXMonster said:
That's me mighty interesting,I wonder if it IS a coil issue as Matt alluded to.
Tony, did ML say what the problem was on your XS?

They never said that I know of. Gosh, that was back when they first came out. It had crazy interference when I'd take it into town. Don't know what they did to fix it but it's been a fantastic detector ever since and I still use it along with other detectors.