Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5900 DI Pro SL-worth buying??

mortarman

Hey everyone, being not to familiar with Whites, I wanted to ask a quetion. I have an opportunity to purchase a 5900 DI pro SL, black box with a blue max coil. Is this a good unit to buy? I'm thinking of getting it as a possible back up. Your opinions are valued tremendously! Thanks!

Picked one up in the spring in nice shape for $150
Has the 950 coil and uses 4 C batteries.
Back up detector for me.

one of the best analog detectors made next to the 6000 sl pro and the 6000 xl pro I know a few people who use it as their primary detector and have seen alot of great stuff found with them. just make sure it is in proper working order as repairs could be pricey.

Wow Joel, that's a great price! Makes me think the seller wants too much. He's asking $300 for it.
And the coil is a 950! I'll have to test it out and try to work him down. Thanks for the info guys!

mortarman said:
Wow Joel, that's a great price! Makes me think the seller wants too much. He's asking $300 for it.
And the coil is a 950! I'll have to test it out and try to work him down. Thanks for the info guys!

I got one not to long ago and I like it, now it has a few draw backs but its still a nice machine.

Large control box and sort-a heavy (but if you adjust the shaft length to where you swing it with your elbow straight and not bent its okay)

The other for me is getting used to the one single audio tone.

$300.00 is about right in the detecting market, now a yard sale or an estate sale would be another thing!

Mark

A buddy and I were running V3i's and 5900's/6000's side by side for two hours last Wednesday. (I run the v3i almost always and really appreciate everything it does from the tone ID to all it's adapting to different things immensely...it is truly the best machine for me.) Still....when we reverted back to the older machines, we both just as equally, loved that analog audio to the point of it being a wash. I finished up the hunt with the 6000 Di Pro and was SLAMMING deep clad dimes till it became too dark to hunt!

Weight can be an issue for some...but not most. The balance is perfect,no way in heck would I call it an "old school" detector, and it has that "analog audio"....a TRUE plus when learned. Mark's statement "$300.00 is about right in the detecting market, now a yard sale or an estate sale would be another thing!" is dead on and if you want something good now, the difference between a "steal" and a "deal" would be no reason to pass this great machine up. This machine will be worth $300.00 for years to come...........and how many things can you buy and still say that?

If he will come down a bit.....throw that money at another coil or in-line pinpointer......or something.....it will have you smiling and enjoying for a long while!

nw1886 said:
A buddy and I were running V3i's and 5900's/6000's side by side for two hours last Wednesday. (I run the v3i almost always and really appreciate everything it does from the tone ID to all it's adapting to different things immensely...it is truly the best machine for me.) Still....when we reverted back to the older machines, we both just as equally, loved that analog audio to the point of it being a wash. I finished up the hunt with the 6000 Di Pro and was SLAMMING deep clad dimes till it became too dark to hunt!

Weight can be an issue for some...but not most. The balance is perfect,no way in heck would I call it an "old school" detector, and it has that "analog audio"....a TRUE plus when learned. Mark's statement "$300.00 is about right in the detecting market, now a yard sale or an estate sale would be another thing!" is dead on and if you want something good now, the difference between a "steal" and a "deal" would be no reason to pass this great machine up. This machine will be worth $300.00 for years to come...........and how many things can you buy and still say that?

If he will come down a bit.....throw that money at another coil or in-line pinpointer......or something.....it will have you smiling and enjoying for a long while!

How different do you find the necessary swing speed to be in the 5900 for deep coins, compared to the V3i. I find I have to approach weed whacking speed myself. I have both machines too. martin

Well I found out something now that changes things a bit. It doesn't have a battery! Does these take regular batteries or something proprietary? Just curious if it's somthing that will be hard to get? I'm not buying it unless I know it works.

mortarman said:
Well I found out something now that changes things a bit. It doesn't have a battery! Does these take regular batteries or something proprietary? Just curious if it's somthing that will be hard to get? I'm not buying it unless I know it works.

They, take C-cell batteries. The detector has a drop in pack that opens up and you can load it with regular batteries or Rechargable ones.

Mark

Signal balance control on the top of the housing, and especially if it is the 'CB' version (the last revision they produced for a number of years), then I would say 'Yes!' I preferred the 5900 Di pro t the Auto-Trac 6000 Di Pro SL because I preferred manual Ground Balance. It let me fine-tune the setting as I wanted.

Those earlier models were a little heavier and had the larger-size housing, both powered by 4-C cell batteries, still had some of the best analog meter displays there has ever been. Overall performance was great and I used my 5900 Di pro SL right up until the XLT was first released. At that time I traded it in and got the XLT. I am an XLT fan, but also have a soft spot for the 5900 Di Pro SL and the last analog 6000 Pro XL (renamed XL Pro) with the needle display meter. They are deep-seeking and work excellent with the controls properly adjusted.

Monte

PS: If you buy it for a "back-up" be careful. I know a couple of people who have done that and it became their main-use detector. :thumbup:

Any White's detector is worth buying IMHO!

TC-NM

I've had mine for 23 years. I really like it. My son even prefers it over his Bounty Hunter 505. He's only 8 so it's a bit heavy for him, but he still goes back to it. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Well I finally got in contact with the seller. I'm going to do a deal for a 6000/DI Pro SL (i thought it was a 5900 but it's not) and a 4900/D for $150. The 6000 doesn't come with batteries but the 4900 has both the rechargable and the C cell box. My question is, does the 6000 and the 4900 use the same 4 C cells/rechargable batteries?

I have a 6000 di Pro SL, and love it. From my experience with the older White's, they love hot-rocks. But I only venture into a hotrock infested area once in a blue moon. I would think the battery pack for the 4900 would be the same.

I'm sure they both use the same 4 "C" cells holder. A call to White's service might be in order to see what they still have in stock for replacements.

Thanks guys, I'll check with Whites. Will be nice to add these to my new Vaquero!