Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5x10" 18.75 DD Coil

ahunter

Anyone out there using the 5x10" 18.75 DD Coil for coin hunting? What kind of luck are you having with it?

I know the post is regarding the 5x10" 18.75, but I have been using my new 6" 18.75 coil for about 8 hours so far and I am very impressed! I have been hunting an old homesite and flagging & gridding it one 30 x 30 foot square at a time, working it very slow. I found an old brass hourglass frame and a brass shotgun (full brass case) shell from late 1800's in this particular grid. I took the 6" 18.75 khz coil over the same grid last week & and found a 1919 wheat and 1971 memorial that jumped right out of the surrounding iron trash! Saturday I hit a school that I've found over 300 coins at. There is good ground here and I have found some dimes here at 8" with my F2. There's really not much left there so I use it for a proving ground whenever I get a new detector, coil, change settings, etc...I wasn't expecting to find much, but I did end up with 19 clads that I missed with the other coils. Only 1 dime was a fresh drop. I got a solid '36' near the school sign, where I am always checking as kids hang out there a lot. I kept digging & digging. When I reached the depth of the Lesche blade (7"), I figured it must be a piece of iron trash or something big, as I still couldn't get a hit with my pinpointer. When the Lesche was almost BURIED in the hole other than about an inch of the handle sticking out, I finally got a hit with my pinpointer in the very bottom of the hole. I was shocked that it was a copper penny at least 10 inches deep! I haven't measured the full length of the Lesche to get an exact depth yet, but I was very impressed to find a high conductor like that with the 6" DD 18.75 khz coil so deep. I was also interested in the 5X10 18.75, but I wanted a waterproof coil for the beaches/lakes as well as gold nugget shooting in rivers, etc.
I'm very happy with the 6" 18.75 and have not looked back. With this kind of depth & separation, this will probably be my main coil for 90% of my hunting. Also, it seems to pinpoint the same as the concentric. I expected to have to use a 'heel-toe' technique when pinpointing, but this wasn't necessary as it pinpoints pretty much to the center of the coil. One thing I noticed, the ID numbers on higher conductor coins where 1 number (segment) higher than with the 7.5 kHz coils I normally use. I don't think you could go wrong with either coil, but I don't feel I'm missing anything by getting the 6" 18.75, and I saved about 60 bucks!

Hi, I used it almost exclusively until the Coiltek 15"WOT came along.
IMHO the 5x 10 HF is a deadly coil on coins, super lightweight, great separation and mine literally found me thousands $.
good luck with it
T59:ausflag:

Ahunter, that coil came stock with my gold pack. I wasn't planning on making it my primary coil since I had a stock 9" and a 6"HF with the 305XT I already owned. Except for some water hunting I did with the other coils ( You probaby know that 5 x 10 is not waterproof), I never use anything but the 5 x 10. It is a coin magnet. I've been nursing an achilles injury for 2 months and haven't been able to detect. From March through August of this year, I found over 2,000 coins with that coil. Get some knee pads and a sharp digger, you;re in for a workout!

I have the Gold Pack which included that coil, IMO, a great all around coil! Just as an example, in 3 consecutive weekends this summer I found a total of 4 silver half dollars and a Morgan silver dollar. That was in addition to misc silver and indians this year as well. I don't think that you can go wrong with that coil. While have recently seen the light and the use-fullness of the 6" Digger coil, if I had to own just 2 coils, it would be that one and a 6" Digger coil.

Here is a picture of one of those finds from a single day this summer.

I am glad to see positive comments on this coil. I am heading to England Friday and just bought one today to go on my XTerra 70. I am carrying the Xterra as a backup (or maybe primary) to my ETrac.

This coil should do well with the gold deposits around where I live.

Here's my take David, on the 10x5 elliptical coil compared to the other 3 small round coils.

I gave up on the 10x5 long ago. While they are fine for cherry picking shallow coins, and keep a very stable ID of both tones and visual with good separation on those target types, they suffer terribly in identifying on-edge coins around the 5" mark and deeper. Even with flat coins deeper than that.
And ID'ing junk at those levels can become problematic in comparison to the other coils.
Due to the elongated elleptical shape, the 'blade' of the DD fuzzes out quicker and dips sharply back to the centre of coil, causing a loss of both depth and a real iffyness on some signals that other coils are hitting on true.
Over barkchips the differences aren't huggely noticeable, but over soil ground it stands out. Especially the changing ground type of grass root then soil leading down to hard packed stony dirt.
As one the major coins I hunt are these targets and they are on-edge at that depth more often than not, the 10x5 holds no advantage for me at all over the other small coils. The stock coil I find is twice the coil the 10x5 is, regardless of mineralization, for clear signal recognition and depth.

The 6" 7.5 kHz Concentric I'd rate as miles ahead in both correct ID at depth, and depth in general, than the 10x5 in ground, and with better separation. It really is a slanted coin-killer.

The 6" 18.75khz DD is shallower than the 6" Concentric, both on flat and slanted coinage, but holds the benifet of judging bottle-caps better than the Concentric. And that's the trade off for me - quicker producing hunt time with the 6"DD and with only slightly better separation than the small concentric - V/S - deeper clearer hits on both slanted and flat coins.
I find the 6"dd 18.kHz a far better coil over the 10x5 due to separation length alone.

The 6" Digger 3khz behaves for me on a 705, much like the 6" concentric does. The same nice clear depth on coins, almost the same fat clarity at depth, but just under the small concentric's on-edge ability. The Digger coil's better bottlecap distinction puts in that trade-off category of which unit I'll run that day.

Out of all the coils, the biggest let down's for me are the 10x5 and 10.5 round DD's.