Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5X8 DD Coil

Beale

I have a question about the 5X8 DD coil? What I am Curious about is this. I do not have onr for my AT-Pro yet. I want to know this. Is this coil considered to be a basic necessity for thr AT? If so are yu giving up that much depth? Is it easier to pinpoint than the Stock Coil? I am looking at using my Christmas Money to get one. Beale.

Hi Beale,,I personally would not consider the 5"x 8" coil a necessity....It is a lot lighter so your AT will feel a lot more balanced..Mine air tests about 1" less depth than the stock coil..It will not go in the ground as deep as the stock coil but sometimes depth don't mean success..If you are a clad hunter working heavy trash then it will out perform the stock coil..I bought the 5"x 8" coil expecting a miracle while I was seeking deeper older coins in a trash laden area....Well I'm still waiting....The bigger stock coil will find things that the smaller coil is incapable of finding and the smaller coil will find things that the bigger coil can't....The 5"x 8" coil displays a smaller footprint so yes it pinpoints understandably better... I like the 5"x 8" coil and use it for a change-up..Buy one based on what you are seeking and your hunting style..I think you will enjoy using this coil, but contrary to what you read, don't expect magic to happen....JJ

I have both coils and after using both for extended periods of time, the 5x8 now sets idle. The 11" coil is terrific in trash. I think even better then the 5x8 and is not close in depth to the 11 inch in the ground. Thats my experience, anyway. HH jim tn

I wouldn't hunt in the woods without mine. It gets decent depth, is sensitive to tiny targets and gets into those hard to reach places.

I bought both as a package and the smaller sat for some time. I used it a little. Then recently I decided to use it because it is much lighter. I then found that it had an easier time picking through targets in trashy areas than the larger coil. If I hit a target that gives a jumpy signal I can walk around it, swinging the coil, and tell if there is multiple targets. I have Isolated a nickel among two pieces of trash. I may have been able to do that with the other coil, but it would have been much harder. The smaller coil pin points to a smaller space and I dig much smaller holes or plugs. My Lesche is too wide for coins. And, I dug several coins at 6 to 8 inches with the 5x8.

Thanks for all the replies y'all! I have just read a lot about it and how good it is in the trash. I am just a Coin Shooter and hunt schools and parks. I do not have any where else to go. So I was just wondering, Beale.

Urban trash, the 5"x8" is "unbeatable". Really quiet conditions, go with the 8"x11". I have found only a slight depth disadvantage with the smaller coil.

aj

IMHO the 5x8" is a necessity. I use both coils but without the small coil my ATP is not as diverse and adaptable to the worst trash sites I hit. The other thing is that is reasonably priced.

I have only used my stock coil a couple of times since I bought a 5x8. I love the size, the wieght, and how presice works. I seems to me that the machine was designed with the 5x8. cause it acts completly different with the stock coil. The stock coil is heavy and its vague compared to the 5x8. I know Im missing a little depth but I make up for it on tagets with trash next to them that I would miss with the stock coil.

You will not regret getting the 5x8. and if by some strange reason you don't like it, It will sell fast. Also get a coil cover. It slides alot better on the grass with a cover.

Interesting variety of opinions. I agree that the bottom line is what and where you tend to hunt. The 5x8 was a game-changer for me, opening up areas that I had given up on because they are so covered in iron and aluminum from major floods and subsequent in-filling with demolition rubble and such... I also find the 5x8 indispensable in navigating the rocky, 'scrubby' brush & cacti that make up the local landscape here in NM. It's pulled many little treasures out of the midst of some nightmarish-ly (huh?) trashy sites and is on my machines 90% of the time.

My feeling is that even if you do mostly schools and parks, you likely run into older areas that are so full of junk that good targets are masked. It's fun to take a crack at them with the 5x8 and see if you can't reel in some nice keepers that the other fellas missed! Nice for rocky creeks, too.

To me, there are many locations that call for a smaller coil...regardless of the detector.

The 5X8 loses 1-2" of depth over the stock coil in my ground, about what you would expect from a small coil.

Yes it is more precise in pinpointing, again as you would expect from a smaller coil.

Ergonomically, the AT is noticeably better with the smaller coil.

Well since I only hunt Schools, and local parks none of which are old. The question is, this "Why not buy one"? Beale.

I have not read anything here I would disagree with. I put the 5X8 coil on last April, it hasn't come off yet. If I was starting a field or large area, I would probably go back to the larger coil, for a larger area coverage per swing. If you like this hobby, and get out a lot, the only negative I would see in buying the 5X8 coil is just the price tag. To me, it's like adding more depth (capabilities) to your team. I have also read that the 4.5 inch sniper coil is deadly in severe trash areas, this will most likely go on a Christmas wish list for me, as I've spent my detecting budget already this year LOL. I agree that the stock coil goes deeper, covers more ground per swing, but being an old, out of shape, fart, I can swing the smaller coil, much longer. More time swinging coil, more time finding stuff. It doesn't matter how deep another coil/unit goes, if it weighs too much for me to swing more than a half hour. If the price tag of the new coil is not a significant issue, get one, try it out, see how it works for you, let us know. Just like different people like different detectors, same with coils. I'm putting acquiring some waterproof, grey ghost headphones, over getting the sniper coil, but both are on my radar. Good luck, keep us posted. Artie

I agree with jimmyjiver, except for one tiny thing...expect "magic" to happen in very trashy areas! I've used the 8"x11" coil in urban trashy parks and it's difficult...not impossible...but difficult. I switched to the 5"x8" coil and certain targets "come alive". I do believe it is good to have both.

aj

I will trade anybody with a 5x8 for a 4.5" sniper for the the AT series.
Of course I will throw in some money.
My sniper comes with a coil cover also, excellent condition. Used about 4 times