Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6-23-11

LandOLincoln

You know I opened my mouth about nickels and not finding any silver coins at that house and came up with a 1945 S and 4 clad nickels tonight. Total $1.05 cents. That black crust on there wont come off with a tooth brush should i just go ahead and use a brass brush on it or soak it in something over night? Also found an old button.

YAHOO!!!! Good going. I would just soak the nickel in soapy water over night. I wouldn't use a brass brush on it. JMHO. She's a beauty and so it the button. LOVE those nickels.....Oh YEAH!

HH,
Nancy

Nice button and nickel. The nickel is in very nice condition. Using a brass brush on it will destroy any collectors value. Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong but the google information that I got on the buttons backmark dates it between 1850 - 1865. Daryl

Scovill used old designs on newer buttons so its hard to date going by whats on the back of the button. I googled it last night too and couldn't come up with a time period.

You might try posting it on the whatzit forum here. Some of the button folks can probably tell a lot about it. Daryl

I'll do that. I also found an old bicycle plate topper that would look like this if I cleaned it up and polished it again.

Very nice!! Silver nickel is still silver, yeah. Old buttons are, also, cool. Steve Crews has a button book and once he sees your post, I will guess, he will try to look it up. Good job.

Capt Ron

This button is not listed in Alberts Button Book. The design is 1859+. Please list it at another web site for identification. Posibly at www.waterburybutton.com. With their name on the back they will ID it for you.

Scovill ceased button-making in 1962. This button is between the times of 1850-1962. Nice finds.