Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6" DD coil

Roland58

When I got my CTX, it came with the 17" coil, which I thought would be great......which it probably is for some. For an old, arthritic person, changing direction from left to right on a swing was pure pain. Having only used the coil to test its' function over some soft grass, it was indiscernible from new......didn't even get any dust on it. I worked out a deal with the terrific dealer I got the machine from, Bart with Big Boys Hobbies, and got the 6" DD. I just had to report that this little jewel is a dream come true! I finally got an opportunity to try it out this afternoon at a local park and was incredibly impressed with the depth capabilities of such a small coil. It 'banged' in on a 7" dime and a quarter at least as deep or better. It also picked up an aluminum can that was no less than a foot down......it rang up like a quarter that was shallow, but, I knew what it was when there was no shallow quarter. I dug it up just for the heck of it to see how deep it was......what a surprise.

I did a little search around a couple of trash cans with the surroundings littered with pop tops and was able to pick out three nickels, a dime and a quarter (I did dig one pull tab that had been folded in half, grrrrr). I'll be using the socks off of this thing in trashy areas, for sure! Can't cover as much area, of course, but, what you DO cover is covered well!!

Thanks again to Bart.......my recommended dealer for any detectorist's needs!

yeah that coil is a must have, we were hunting in a trash area and I dug 12 coins to 1 with the 6'' coil to 10'' coil.

I use it most times around house sites, only put the 10'' coil on now when its a field or non trashy area.

Has anyone noticed a difference between TID numbers between the standard coil and the 6"? The only one that has seemed to remain consistent is the nickel signal, it has remained a steady 12/13. A quarter has a broader range, about 12/39 to 12/47 depending on depth/position/composition/mineralization, etc. Also, the TID numbers seem to change in the pinpoint mode.....should these remain the same as a steady signal from the x and y axis or is it normal for it to change? Would a change indicate the original reading may not be right? (if it's a good reading, either way, I digging it anyway!).

Final note, I love that little coil....so easy to use and, once again, it gets very surprising depth!!

I just got a used 6" coil for $200 on one of the other message boards lucky to have found it as it was like new.

I havent had time to use it yet.

Hope it gives me good trash separation in local Parks.

I know I am enjoying mine. The only thing I have noticed is that the TID info seems to vary slightly.......but, no biggie. And, surprisingly, the depth is good for 7+ inches!!

Roland58 said:
I know I am enjoying mine. The only thing I have noticed is that the TID info seems to vary slightly.......but, no biggie. And, surprisingly, the depth is good for 7+ inches!!

I also have one and have noticed the same thing with the TID numbers. Coil size selection would be a nice thing to have added as a software update to assure TID consistency between coil sizes, but oh well, you can imagine that it is just dreaming to expect any such thing from Minelab, even for a $2500.00 Rolls Royce metal detector!