Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6 in Coiltek Coil part 4 new settings you'll be suprised

Dign-nbama

Just wanted to share some new setttings on the E-trac that may or may not work for you, if you have a 6in Coiltek coil you can try it with another coil and see also,, I got this idea from a forum members post JohnnyAnglo and Wow what a difference,, this is definately going into my bag of tricks in an iron site, the AT Pro was my go to machine in a iron infested site but that may change,,, I tried to pick up the coin with the AT 5x8 coil and couldn't get it no matter what mode I had it in,, now remember this is my soil not yours,, you may get a different out come,, hope it helps you too.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKSwKG_2870 :detecting:

your coil is not over the coin and iron at the same time. with that small coil you're inside of the iron and it would hit with any settings in my opinion.

Just go back and look at the 1st 3 videos... where it wouldnt see what you think then....

The whole reason for the demonstration is to show how you can improve the recovery of the Etrac close to iron, everyone who has hunted around iron with any machine knows how difficult it is to cherry pick out good targets around, close or under iron, this is just another way to improve your trash to treasure ratio, I've not been that lucky to use any settings to hit a dime that close to iron... with any machine I've owned... maybe it's just me.. but this definately improved the target response from the previous... HH :detecting:

I have the coiltek 10x5 and pulled a dime out of a hole with 5 roofing nails and a small battery on just TTF

I'd pretty much agree with surfchunker here. That iron is spaced pretty far apart. I think the procoil would hit your dime even in conductive if your sweep speed was slower--definitelty in TTF where I usually crawl with the coil.

It would be interesting to see the results with your settings and that coil in the nail board test http://ahrps.org/_tipsAndTechniques/Nail_Board_Performance_Test.pdf

I should have showed the pro-coil in the beginning, it wouldn't hit the dime only the iron ....and barely hit it in TTF with the 6in... this was the best it would hit in 4TF.. I can't explain it.. maybe it's because so much red soil, who knows... I'm convenced one size shoe don't fit everyone when it comes to metal detectors, soil conditions ect, I would have fiqured my AT pro would hit the dime in Pro zero, it will if you crawl through it, but slow sweep speed,, didn't happen...and I ground balanced it before trying..

Surfchunker is right.
With that small coil and that iron that far away, just about any setting would detect that dime.

Now if that dime was buried 6 inches with iron right next to or on top of it, then that would be somewhat impressive. Otherwise not so much.

Having said that, i use 4TF and lately MTF in iron infested areas. Can't figure out why no one else here does or will admit it. :heh::look:

if it's a fresh buried coin they are hard to hit. they need to be in the ground several years to get the halo effect going

surfchunker said:
if it's a fresh buried coin they are hard to hit. they need to be in the ground several years to get the halo effect going

So much the better of a test! A 6" fresh dime should be no match for an eTRAC with the 'right' settings, if i understand what you're saying!

I'd say even a harder test to prove out settings, would be to detect a nail thats been in the ground say a decade or two that rings a definite F-35. Determine its depth and bury the fresh dime an inch away from it.

I don't have much experience with the et. With that said....something I've been impressed with hunting in conductive (quickmask with 27fe on down disced) with usually the Ultimate on lately is that when I run into areas where the machine completely nulls out for long periods is the Et's ability to still eek out a reasonably good high tone if something is down there? When I completely null (and that happens EVERYWHERE I hunt it seems)....I slow down to a crawl and the Et works it's magic and lets me know something may be in and amongst the crap causing the nulling? Half of these signals are unpinpointable using the pinpoint feature because of the crap down there next to the coin. Now I'm sure that a lot of my particular nulling issues are due to emi type stuff underground (telephone, water lines, sewer pipe, etc.) and most likely lower than any coins so possibly that makes it easier for the machine to sniff out these high tones amongst the nulls....I don't know? So far I haven't spent much time trying ttf or 4tf. Slapped on the 6" tonight and will take another stab at a couple of these nulling areas I've been hitting these past few days and we'll see what happens........

Watching the video , I also thought that going slow enough that even the big Ultimate might have given a high tone on the dime....much less the 6"(?).......and done it in conductive.

when you get the sweet spot ( dead center ) right over top of the good target it should still give you that high tone on a good target

sprchng said:
I'd pretty much agree with surfchunker here. That iron is spaced pretty far apart. I think the procoil would hit your dime even in conductive if your sweep speed was slower--definitelty in TTF where I usually crawl with the coil.

It would be interesting to see the results with your settings and that coil in the nail board test http://ahrps.org/_tipsAndTechniques/Nail_Board_Performance_Test.pdf

Yea,, that nail board would be interesting.. may try that and see what happens..

surfchunker said:
yea,, your right,, and I get the halo effect, I thought it was interesting to be able to cancel the rusty iron in quickmask and still pick up the coin, sorta like the nail board effect, the nail in the ground is buried running horizontal with the dime in the middle and a piece of rusty iron on the other side, the recovery I felt like was pretty good at a pretty decent sweep speed and I know you can crawl through it and improve even more...but apparently I'm the only one :rolleyes:,,,.. O well it's all in fun,, love the Etrac and this little coil.....

If you want an interesting read, this is where I got the idea... http://www.findmall.com/read.php?71,1881345,1881345

dign-nbama said:
If you want an interesting read, this is where I got the idea... http://www.findmall.com/read.php?71,1881345,1881345

That article is a good writeup by the author who basically proposes 4TF. There's a lot to be said about using 4TF, in fact i use it myself along with MTF.

But the issue here is with that test. That test with that small coil and far enough away iron was designed to pass.

ironsight said:
dign-nbama said:

That article is a good writeup by the author who basically proposes 4TF. There's a lot to be said about using 4TF, in fact i use it myself along with MTF.

But the issue here is with that test. That test with that small coil and far enough away iron was designed to pass.

Who said anything about Pass?? or Fail?? I must have missed this....:shrug:

Obviously this is going in a direction I never intended for it to go,, so I deleted the videos and I'll step back and read instead of commenting..... sorry guys .... some take this way more serious than I do...

dign-nbama said:
ironsight said:
dign-nbama said:

Who said anything about Pass?? or Fail?? I must have missed this....:shrug:

If it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, by golly it must be a duck!

Test setup parameters: iron located near a coin, small coil
Test variable: detector setting.
Test objective: determine if detector setting will detect coin under setup parameters.
Test result:: setting detected coin = pass, setting did not detect coin = fail.

The coin was detected with that set up, wasn't it? Why would this not be considered a settings test to detect a coin with iron around it?
Wouldn't you say the settings he used to detect the coin worked, thereby passing his settings test?