Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

60 and 11 VDI

Ronstar

Has anyone had a good recovery which the numbers showed 60? The reason I ask is I get quite a few 60 readings which I’ve determined is “usually” iron falsing. I’ve dug a couple targets and thats exactly what I’ve found. Yes, by moving the pinpoint around you can usually determine its larger. I sometimes get a small footprint and thats what I dig. There are a couple YT videos where the people have shown silver dollar size coins produced at 60. I have not tried an air test on my dollar but the last Barber Half Dollar was a solid 55 at 5-6” so 60 seems a bit of an extreme jump.

11. NM originally had 11 (foil) notched out in F mode until someone pointed out gold chains and small good jewelry was showing as that number. Now 11 is back in its spot and only 1-10 is out. So far all my good 11 hits have been foil at 4” or less. Anyone have any 11 recoveries?

I’m mostly just curious if anyone has any verification on these numbers with good targets?
Still learning…..

Ron
If you look at a post I made a couple weeks ago on todays finds titled “my buddy’s find”,
You will see a nice 10k good necklace that he found with the Legend.
I noted that it read 26, but he later told me he tested it again and it read 11 and was not sure why he first stated it read 26.
I think he got excited when he found it and forgot what the number was..😂
I need to make a correction on that post about the TID reading.
I was using a Sand Shark that day and when I checked it, I did not get a vey good signal over it.
He let me take the necklace home to weigh for him and I checked it with my Equinox and it read 1.

Ron
If you look at a post I made a couple weeks ago on todays finds titled “my buddy’s find”,
You will see a nice 10k good necklace that he found with the Legend.
I noted that it read 26, but he later told me he tested it again and it read 11 and was not sure why he first stated it read 26.
I think he got excited when he found it and forgot what the number was..😂
I need to make a correction on that post about the TID reading.
I was using a Sand Shark that day and when I checked it, I did not get a vey good signal over it.
He let me take the necklace home to weigh for him and I checked it with my Equinox and it read 1.
Chains can come in at many different VDI'$.
Depending on how they lay.
Balled up.
Figure 8's
Loops.
Stretched out.
And different combinations of these.
All giving different IDs.
It still comes down to digging every repeatable signal.
Those of us who have dug for many years will keep saying. Dig it all.

Chains can come in at many different VDI'$.
Depending on how they lay.
Balled up.
Figure 8's
Loops.
Stretched out.
And different combinations of these.
All giving different IDs.
It still comes down to digging every repeatable signal.
Those of us who have dug for many years will keep saying. Dig it all.
True, but I believe in this case he was mistaken on his first reading.

I know things can be found outside their normal range. My question specifically was finds showing 60 or 11. I also wonder if soil conditions play into those specific numbers.
So far one 11 reading!!!!!

I know things can be found outside their normal range. My question specifically was finds showing 60 or 11. I also wonder if soil conditions play into those specific numbers.
So far one 11 reading!!!!!
I guess I'm trying to say.
Trusting any specific numbers can lead you astray.
Finding the same targets with the same ID at the same site. Can obviously help to isolate bad items.
But until you throughly ID items at a new site.
Never trust that your finding everything.

As we already know, various frequency shifts will give us different vdi numbers…...ground balance and ground conditions could skew numbers by one pretty easily…The Legend being in the infancy stage might even change vdi numbers with each update…The scale only goes up to 60….Who knows ?…If the scale went higher than 60, maybe iron falsing would read even higher…Since none of us are technicians, it’s pretty hard to know for sure…Including 11 in the lower range would not be the end of the world, at least until you get to know the soil conditions in your particular area…I’ve always liked vdi ranges that were wider, like 0-100 for example…targets were more spread out…

You have to keep in mind that VDI scale is not straight… it's a circle. So extra low VDIs can "bleed" into high numbers, happens to all detectors. Never seen a high number bleed into low, but then I've never scanned any superconductors…

And yes, IF you expect gold, especially small gold (chains, pendants, bracelets, earrings…), you want to set your tone break low. On a beach I actually run it at 6 or 7, as plenty of chains read 7.

PS: Always run in all metal, don't discriminate. You want to hear when you're near iron (or whatever else you're taking into low tones via tone break).

Vdi scales differ depending on how the manufacturers set it up…Numbers have changed with different versions of our own Legend……Depending on the location, I‘m not sure how many people hunt in A.M…….I’m not saying that it’s a bad way to hunt, but I would never be able to run it in any of the NY parks where I hunt…I do however turn up my iron volume so I know what’s around..…..

and yes….the beach is a different story…..no discrimination, and dig everything

You never know what that next signal might be… case in point… a few years ago while running the Soveteign at an old golf course that used to be a farm site before that and who knows what else may have been there before that.
I got over something that read 113 which is very low ( a nickel reads 145-146), and I have never gotten that TID before.
I dug it up and it turned out to be a pewter Civil War Infantry button.
I’m had I did not pass on it!

You never know what that next signal might be… case in point… a few years ago while running the Soveteign at an old golf course that used to be a farm site before that and who knows what else may have been there before that.
I got over something that read 113 which is very low ( a nickel reads 145-146), and I have never gotten that TID before.
I dug it up and it turned out to be a pewter Civil War Infantry button.
I’m had I did not pass on it!
You still using a sand shark ? I miss the ole Tesoro’s

Geez, I asked a somewhat simple question and got quite a discussion going…..
So far only one response on an 11 being a good target. Yesterday I took the Legend to an area near some tennis courts, an area we pushed a couple times with other detectors. I gridded an area maybe 1000 square feet and dug five targets that were promising, a Merc, Rosie, war nickel, a wheat, and a Memorial. I also dug 6-7 11 numbers that were more sustained tones and all were folded foil. The other 44-45s ended up being the old style pulltabs (teardrop folded back over the finger ring).

The VDI/TDI being a circle is an interesting concept.

Geez, I asked a somewhat simple question and got quite a discussion going…..
So far only one response on an 11 being a good target. Yesterday I took the Legend to an area near some tennis courts, an area we pushed a couple times with other detectors. I gridded an area maybe 1000 square feet and dug five targets that were promising, a Merc, Rosie, war nickel, a wheat, and a Memorial. I also dug 6-7 11 numbers that were more sustained tones and all were folded foil. The other 44-45s ended up being the old style pulltabs (teardrop folded back over the finger ring).

The VDI/TDI being a circle is an interesting concept.
Those nice sounding pieces of foil have such a history of giving up gold. Same with pull tabs.
Sorry if I buggered up your post and question.
I'm more of a tone digger. VDI'$ are just a general reference to me. Sorry Man.

Well geez now everybody is doing a 180…… lol.
I was mainly interested in whether any finds specific to those two numbers. You all did re-enforce basic principals which no one can fault. Highest number I’ve had so far was a copper cap that looked somewhat like an oil filter cap (it wasnt but thats real close) that held 58 solid. Just my curiosity and no one trampled the post.

Well geez now everybody is doing a 180…… lol.
I was mainly interested in whether any finds specific to those two numbers. You all did re-enforce basic principals which no one can fault. Highest number I’ve had so far was a copper cap that looked somewhat like an oil filter cap (it wasnt but thats real close) that held 58 solid. Just my curiosity and no one trampled the post.

Highest number I’ve had so far was a copper cap that looked somewhat like an oil filter cap (it wasnt but thats real close) that held 58 solid.
I've had a 59-60, almost blew my eardrums through the nose. It was a gas tank cap from some old car (likely a Mustang) – heavy chunk of chrome plated notsurewhatium. Never seen a coin that would read that high.

As for 11s… I've got a rather large box of jewelry that reads exactly that and even lower, mostly gathered at beaches and tot lots.