Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6000 XL pro COIL Questions

GTzer

Hi. Finally got a beautiful,pristine 6000 xl pro. Even the box is mint. Couldn't have more than a few test hours on it.
Read for hours on this site and.....everywhere I could -Which led me to the decision to seek this MD. I could not use my 6000 Di series 3 anymore due to its weight. It was fine when I was younger and doing labor work. I got it in '83. Now I'm older and a full time musician. The weight just made it so I can't do work & MD w/o a few days in between.
I missed the past 20-25 xl pros (either by minutes or they were too much $) Glad I missed them because this is new/old stock. Serial # indicate 97th day of 2000.
I missed so many that I actually got a 705 xterra. Great weight & balance. Cool MD. BUT-I missed the PP, DEPTH & the accurate meter. YEP-sometimes time dictates that I cherry pick. (I can always go back when time allows).
Thanks to this site-I'll have a manual tomorrow (in print)

Questions- From reading here-I want a Black Max 5.3/ Bullseye Coil. Anyone know of any sources for new/old stock?
Some of this info was dated-are there any new coils -like DD's that: would be compatible or a recent improvement?

I have a 4" (by ruler) 624-0187 coil (white w blue sticker) with the same 5 pin connector that I used with the 6000 Di series 3. Will this be compatible with the xl?

Is there a weather cover/rain jacket made for this unit? I'm thinking that I would like to add electric grease to the tops of the pots & trigger. I'll probably plastic coat the trigger.

Finally-Anyone know of a source or tech that can do the TONE mod?

I'm ok w the auto GB. I will use that function as well as manual GB (did it for years w the Di)

I'm really pleased to have this analog- it 's more like-ME than the digital.MD. I can swing it between jobs too.

Thanks for all of the great info.

GTzer

OK-found some more info in the Whites thread regarding some coil choices and descriptions of DD's for 6.59 analogs.
Would still welcome any input.

I think they stopped making raincovers when they stopped making the XLPro. The one I use now is from an Explorer.
As to coils...I don't want to sell any of mine, but I currently have the stock 950 BlackMax, Pro-Scan 800, 5.3 Black Max, a 5.3 Blue Max, a 5.3 Bullseye and the 350 Snooper. I have used several of the Royal 800 and Blue Max 800 coils in the past. But never found one that was as good as the ProScan, which was the stock coil on one of the QXTs. I've also tried several of the 4X6 elliptical shooters. But the depth of detection on the 350 Snooper is far better. I tried a Big Foot several years ago. But honestly, it lacked in depth and was tough to manuever in the fields I like to hunt. White's also made a round 15 inch coil, but I never felt the need to have one. I understand that you can use some of the newer Bounty Hunter coils on the 6.50kHz Whites......but haven't gotten around to making an adapter for the plugs. JMHO HH Randy

Hi,
Rain covers for the XLT will work on the meter as well as on the control box.
I bought mine on ebay for a reasonable price.
hh
skookum

Skookum,
Thanks-I'll be looking for that cover. Any suggestions for a fair price would be appreciated..

As an unfortunate turn- the MD I described above has been shipped to Whites. Pristine shape BUT defective. Hopefully it can be repaired.

Randy,
Thanks for the detailed INFO. Do know-that I haven't given up on the 705 (great machine) just supplemented it with a more familiar analog.

QUESTION- for you or anybody- of the 3 --5.3 coils- (5.3 Black Max, a 5.3 Blue Max, a 5.3 Bullseye) Are they the same or is one better than another?

My preference at the moment. Some day I'll look into that pro scan.

Thanks
GT

Hi,
They are all the same. Identical guts but different colour and decals.
I personally own the 5.3 Bullseye but would have bought either of the other two, had they been available at the time I purchased the Bullseye.
Great little coil, though ground coverage is less when compared to the 950.
But I am not out there to win any races - so what if it takes a little longer to cover an area.
I sure love the weight. Hardly notice it at the end of your rod.
Greetings
skookum

Skookum,
Thanks again for the reply.
No races for me either-but some time constraints dictate some cherry pickin'. Hard for me to find an area w/o lots of signals/trash so a 5.3 will be my choice. Fields and beach will be my x 705 for now.

If you would-please give me an idea of the cost of the xlt weather protection. I will look it up-but it's always nice to have a number from a user on this site.
Thanks again,
GT

Hi,
I paid 14 GBP(British pounds) for a brand new meter cover and 11 GBP for the control box cover in used but very good condition.
I won

GTzer said:
Hi. Finally got a beautiful,pristine 6000 xl pro. Even the box is mint. Couldn't have more than a few test hours on it.
Sadly, I sold my pristine XL Pro and DFX in order to buy a V3i. I could pull a quarter out of the air with that DFX. Ended up not liking the V3i at all. Sold it and replaced the XL Pro and DFX both. The new ones aren't as nice as the ones I had, and I kick myself every day for letting the others get away.

Questions- From reading here-I want a Black Max 5.3/ Bullseye Coil. Anyone know of any sources for new/old stock?
Keep an eye on eBay and the classifieds on the forums. That's about all you can do

Some of this info was dated-are there any new coils -like DD's that: would be compatible or a recent improvement?
There is only one DD made by White's for the 6.59 kHz machines. They are not likely to make any more. Personally, I only use White's coils with my White's detectors, so can't speak to other brands.

I have a 4" (by ruler) 624-0187 coil (white w blue sticker) with the same 5 pin connector that I used with the 6000 Di series 3. Will this be compatible with the xl?
It will work, but not very well. You'll want to avoid all the coils traditionally used by the blue box units.

Finally-Anyone know of a source or tech that can do the TONE mod?
The guy that used to do that, no longer does it, nor does he sell the kits. I don't think anybody else has taken his place.

I'm ok w the auto GB. I will use that function as well as manual GB (did it for years w the Di)
Auto GB on the 6000 Di tends to creep. They didn't get it quite right until the XL Pro. You'll be far better off using manual GB

I'm really pleased to have this analog- it 's more like-ME than the digital.MD. I can swing it between jobs too.

Thanks for all of the great info.

GTzer

a4wdguy & everybody,
Thanks for the replies & info.

Looks like I screwed up- the MD wouldn't tune so it's at Whites now awaiting repair. I didn't bring the manual with me when I bought it, I was a little burned out from working and driving 125 miles-------SO.............C'est la vie. Make that a pristine-faulty MD.

a4wdguy- I like the idea of auto GB. It was but a possible future update when I got my Di Series 3. I'll do plenty of manual updates as I move though.

Never heard anything but good about this model. Couldn't afford one when they were in production.

They're awesome, alright.
I could never afford the 6000's myself. Always with the 5900's. I always suspected the 5900's worked better than the 6000's, but there's just something about that bigger number - six thousand - that makes you feel like your 5900 is coming up a little short...

Sorry yours ended up in the shop. I hope you sent it to Sweet Home, they are the best when it comes to customer service.
Hopefully it'll come back soon and you can get out and do some swinging. :detecting:

You know I like the 705 a LOT! And I like the CTX 3030 in the real nasty trashy areas. But there is something about the XLPro that never fails to impress me. Watching the subtle deflection of that analog meter............... amazing TID. I swear, when I am hunting in open fields, the XLPro can sniff out a coin inches before you pass the coil over it. Like I said, amazing!

As to the differences between coils.......as you know, no two coils are wound exactly the same. So it is tough to say one "version" is better than another. But with that said, I never had a BlackMax that I didn't like. Bullseye comes in a close second, with the Blue Max being my last choice. The 8-inch ProScan is an amazing coil. I don't think they ever sold them as separate items. But I bought a QXT just for the coil, then sold the QXT with a 950 and BlueMax 6-inch. Never looked back! HH Randy

Digger said:
<snip>I currently have the stock 950 BlackMax, Pro-Scan 800, 5.3 Black Max, a 5.3 Blue Max, a 5.3 Bullseye and the 350 Snooper. I have used several of the Royal 800 and Blue Max 800 coils in the past. But never found one that was as good as the ProScan, which was the stock coil on one of the QXTs. I've also tried several of the 4X6 elliptical shooters. But the depth of detection on the 350 Snooper is far better. I tried a Big Foot several years ago. But honestly, it lacked in depth and was tough to manuever in the fields I like to hunt. White's also made a round 15 inch coil, but I never felt the need to have one.<snip> JMHO HH Randy

I reduced my inventory to the BlackMax 950 and the BlueMax 350. Like Randy, at one time or another I have owned pretty much every coil White's made for these detectors, but determined that I don't like carrying a bunch of coils around with me, and they don't do any good sitting at home. Elliptical coils do not do well on the 6.597 kHz machines, stick with concentric. The 800 coils are nice, but don't get the depth of the 950, and if you are in trash, a 5.3 or 3.5 coil is the way to go for separation. I used to have a 250 snooper, but that is just way too small, so settled on the 350 snooper as my trash coil. I also had the 15 inch trash can lid. It really should have wheels under it! And forget about pinpointing. Quite frankly, if you are coin shooting, it is worse than useless, and if you are relic hunting, you should probably be using a different detector altogether.

That thing is pretty much dead weight in my opinion. I could not find a suitable application for it, but I am sure if someone can put up with the weight and bulkiness of it, they may find some use for it. Me....I could not.

I like the 5.3 coil on my XL-Pro the best. Turns that unit into a coin vacum when hunting parks, tot lots, etc. The 9.5 on in turns it into a cruising machine for lots of places, including dry sand hunting. You can sweep fast, cover a lot of ground, and it goes DEEP.

I don't use the 800 coil much.

Hay guys, What detectors other than Whites run on 6.59KHz? Is there a detector that has a DD coil that a guy could make work on a XLT, 6000 PRO, PRO XL, I was told that the little 4x6 dd don,t go very deep. I have a Big Foot coil for my 6000 PRO, and Eagle 11 Sl, but sure would like to have a 6x10 DD or 4x8 dd. I see they make a adapter to fit other coils on them, but think you would need close to the 6.59KHz anyway. Thanks Flintstone

Digger-You know I like the 705 a LOT!
Yes I know-you probably swayed me more than any other to make the same choice. 705 is a great machine save for the depth indicator feature.

I will grab one of the 5.3's for xl pro and use is it as my park and resident MD. After 29 yrs using the heavier version of the Whites--and relying on its depth & pinpoint accuracy-I'm sure I will enjoy that function more than the xterra. And I DO enjoy the VDI on those MDs.

I already have 4 coils for the xterra (9" cc- 3 & 7.5 10" dd -7.5 & 18.75). Probably get rid of the 9" cc and get a Digger 6". I have yet to do a farm field-but I like open areas, the woods and the beach with the 705.

I think I'll have more fun w the 6000 in parks & residences. I can always go back w the 705.

a4wdguy- thanks for the input. I had a 3" coil for my old MD. I tried it a few times in really trashy areas (30hrs max) and just didn't care for it. So 5.3 will be all I need to compliment the stock 905. 15" coils?-well I barely get enough time to use what I have already- guess I'll just leave-even the consideration -of such things to those more dedicated than myself.

therover- thanks & I agree.

You can use some Bounty Hunter coils on the 6.592 kHz Whites detectors. Best to find a schematic of the coils to make sure. But from what I remember, the red and black wires are usually the transmit windings. I think pins 4 and 5. The white and green are typically the receive windings. And I think those are pins 1 & 2. Transmit windings should have a much lower resistance than between the receive windings. It would be best to make a short tailed adapter instead of changing the leads on the individual coils. That way you have more to work with and can use the adapter on multiple coils.

I've seen some adapters for sale on ebay. And I think Keith Wills (in Texas) makes and sells adapters as well. brokendetector.com

HH Randy

I use my Bullseye 5.3 on my detector about 95% of the time. It has better balance and lighter in weight than the 950 coil. Still get great depth with the 5.3 cuz of ground balancing. . . this is the key!