Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6x10 Coiltec coil

foreign object

Anyone compared the 6x10 and 6" coil side by side for depth.

Have not heard a lot about the 6x10".Appears the the price is not justified over the 6".
I would like a little more coverage than the 6"offers and better separation than the stock coil.

Thanks
FO

I assume you mean 5x10, I think it is as good over all as the ml 6'' but with better coverage and pinpointing is just as easy plus I like the pointed ends for poking around in brush and blackberries, over all I would go for it over the round 6'' ml. I did a lot of research and talked to coiltec before I bought mine here's there sight and video of a test on the 5x10 http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/ dfly

oregon_dragonfly said:
I assume you mean 5x10, I think it is as good over all as the ml 6'' but with better coverage and pinpointing is just as easy plus I like the pointed ends for poking around in brush and blackberries, over all I would go for it over the round 6'' ml. I did a lot of research and talked to coiltec before I bought mine here's there sight and video of a test on the 5x10 http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/ dfly

Thanks for the reply.
I at fingered the size so thanks for correcting me.

Thanks for the link but I really doubt that they would say anything negative about their coil hence the reason I am asking if anyone has actually compared the two side by side.

Thanks again
FO

I have used both, both seem to have similar depth performance, both are great at target seperation, 5x10 covers more ground per sweep. If you don't have a small coil yet, I would recommend the coiltek.

I have the coiltek, seems pretty good but haven't used it much. For anyone that has wood floors in the house try this. Place any desirable object on one the wood slats, right in the middle. Now try every program, tweak, etc. Eye opener to say the least. GL HH Mike

IMO...the 5x10 just not enough of a game changer for me.
The 6" coil coverage is 28.27 sq in, weight .75 pds., thin and is WATERPROOF- 323.00 w/tax
The 5x10 coverage is 39.275 sq in, weight 1.1 pds and is water RESISTANT, positive buoyancy- 399.00 w/tax
That being said....I have a buddy that liked his, and found quite a bit with it but he water hunts and the silly thing would float up, so he got rid of it.
If one showed up on the classifieds for around 200.00 though, I would scoop it up....but to me it is just not worth the asking price.

They are supposedly working on the floating issue. I wouldn't buy one until they state the the flotation problem has been fixed/.

The only advantage I see with it would be hunting in the woods. The solid coil would not get sticks stuck in it. I have a hard time in the woods with the Minelab coils with sticks poking up through the open spots and snagging me up.

I agree, there just isn't enough difference between the coiltec and minelab 6. I would have preferred a new coil somewhere between minelabs stock coil and there 17" coil, or maybe something like the Joey coil they make for explorers. I have just about every coil made for my explorer, I have a pretty serious coil addiction, but still don't desire to go out and get the coiltec yet. I am however super excited that aftermarket coils have finally hit the market! Who knows what will be available next!?

The 6" is solid...not spoked. Agree with the spoke coils hanging up on everything though. I actually glued a thin piece of plastic sheet to the bottom of a Tesoro coil and trimmed to fit....worked great.

Kieth-Tx said:
The 6" is solid...not spoked. Agree with the spoke coils hanging up on everything though. I actually glued a thin piece of plastic sheet to the bottom of a Tesoro coil and trimmed to fit....worked great.

The Minelab 6" round coil, is spoked.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/products/search-coils/237-30110114/6?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=sce&zmam=97952566&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=237-30110114&gclid=CPP49djs-sMCFXJp7AodXk4AGw

I used the 5x10 Coiltec coil for the first time Saturday. The ground was still moist from recent rain which is rare here in San Diego. I tried Auto +3 for awhile, then cranked up manual. I tried ferrous coin and then ground coin. I tweaked a couple other things over my eight hour day and I can honestly say I did not notice a difference between that coil and the stock coil. I will try it a few more times obviously but right now the jury is still out!