Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6x10 DD for everyday hunting instead of 10 dd?

nalc472

Group,

I own the 4x6dd I might like the 6x10 dd better than than the 10 dd. I would like to know a comparision of depth of the 6x10 vs 10 dd. I struggle with the 10 dd and if the 6x10 acts like the 4x6 and more depth I will be very happy.. I need 7-8 inches with the 6x10 to be worth my while. I have low minerization here in indiana. Thanks.

With low mineralization, the 6X10 should do fine, at least better than the 4X6 but not as good as the D2. You have to find the balance of separation, depth and coverage that works best for you in your ground, hunting style and needs. The best way is to try the different coils, keep the ones you like and sell the ones you don't.

A lot of people like the SEF coils, you might want to try the 6X8 SEF and my favorite is the 10X12 SEF for most hunting conditions.

The elliptical coils get the depth of the smaller dimension. Therefore, a 6x10 gets the depth of a 6" coil, not a 10" coil. No one can tell you the depth you will get in your soil.

What trouble do you have with the D2? If your soil has low minerals what about a 950 concentric. I know a person who uses nothing but the 950. It is certainly deeper than the 6x10.

I have trouble with pinpointing and unstable operation. Also cannot seem to find deeper than 6 inches. I am blind in my right eye and left eye vision is 20/200. I use a trx to pinpoint. Pinpointing is important for me due to my vision. This is the first thing I have been able to do since my vision loss. My wife drops me off and picks me up whene I am done. She helps me sort out my finds. I picked the v3i due to its large screen and backlight. It helps me see the screen (barely).

Larry (IL) said:
With low mineralization, the 6X10 should do fine, at least better than the 4X6 but not as good as the D2. You have to find the balance of separation, depth and coverage that works best for you in your ground, hunting style and needs. The best way is to try the different coils, keep the ones you like and sell the ones you don't.

A lot of people like the SEF coils, you might want to try the 6X8 SEF and my favorite is the 10X12 SEF for most hunting conditions.

"you might want to try the 6X8 SEF "

This brings up a question. The coil name is really 8x6, so according to Rob's post about a 6x10 Whites coil getting 6 inches, not 10, will the 8x6 SEF get 10 inches or 8 inches in theory?

Thanks.

The elliptical coils get the depth of the smaller dimension.

For the 8x6 or 6x8, 6" is still the smaller dimension. So it gets the coverage of an 8" coil and the depth of a 6" coil. It would also get the side to side separation of a 6" coil. This information was posted by Carl@Whites.

5900_XL-1 said:
This brings up a question. The coil name is really 8x6, so according to Rob's post about a 6x10 Whites coil getting 6 inches, not 10, will the 8x6 SEF get 10 inches or 8 inches in theory?

Thanks.

EDIT: Rob posted as I was writing this up. doh........

Rob did not say the coil could get 6" in depth, rather that the 6x10 should get the same depth as an equivalent 6" round (concentric) coil.

The general rule of thumb is that for an elliptical coil, take the smaller dimension and the depth performance will be equivalent to a round coil of the same dimension.

So the 8x6 SEF should get the same approx. depth as a 6" round coil.

Of course, differences in mineralization, coil construction, size of target, EMI, all contribute to vary the actual depth one achieves with any particular coil.

That's right, well done explanation. :thumbup:

GpSnoopy said:
5900_XL-1 said:

Thanks.

EDIT: Rob posted as I was writing this up. doh........

Rob did not say the coil could get 6" in depth, rather that the 6x10 should get the same depth as an equivalent 6" round (concentric) coil.

The general rule of thumb is that for an elliptical coil, take the smaller dimension and the depth performance will be equivalent to a round coil of the same dimension.

So the 8x6 SEF should get the same approx. depth as a 6" round coil.

Of course, differences in mineralization, coil construction, size of target, EMI, all contribute to vary the actual depth one achieves with any particular coil.

Thanks. I wonder why Ditech labeled this one 8x6 instead of 6x8. Tomatoe tomato I guess.

Thanks for explanation.

No matter which way you measure it or what you call it, it is always the width since you swing the coil from side to side. Of course this is just a general rule because the actual depth of a coil, used by you, in your ground, depends on a LOT of factors.

I like using the 6x10 if I'll be swinging for a long period of time.
It is a lighter coil and I seem to get sufficient depth.
I really hate digging 10" only to find junk!!