Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6X8 SEF what am I missing

Deep Digger

I've had this coil for about a year and a half, and I'm not sure it's all that great for me.
I have been out for a while (working 80+ a week) but I have used this coil a lot.
I have used it over and over in the same places I've pounded with the 11" and have rarely
found anything I know I wouldn't have found with the 11" coil.
Even in TTF in my iron INFESTED sites I think I prefer the 11" er.
I really think after probably a hundred + hrs. with the coil it has a hard to describe delay-
like a millionth (like describing a dream) of a second pause I don't get with the big coil that really
throws me off in trashy places.
Anyone else prefer the stock coil or am I missing something with the 6X8?
Maybe the smaller 6" excelerator would be better,,, or maybe not.
Thanks
Deep Digger

I use my 6"x8" coil 80% of the time. It's good at separating good finds from iron. Goes deep for a small coil.
Great pinpointing and very accurate target ID.

I have pulled several nice coins in very heavy trash that my Pro coil was about over whelmed by.I am talking two or more targets under the 11" coil most of the time.One must slow way down to get the most out of the smaller coils and over lap each pass by about 50% which makes for very slow progress but well worth the effort in very old trashy sites.In TTF it is unreal all the smaller medium/ high conductors that show up with a 6x8 SEF or 5" Sunray that are not being hit with the larger coils in trashed out sites.

reltolbert said:
I use my 6"x8" coil 80% of the time. It's good at separating good finds from iron. Goes deep for a small coil.
Great pinpointing and very accurate target ID.

Can you put some numbers on that statement please.. "Goes deep for a small coil" !

Yes. 8"x6" SEF Coil using 28 sensitivity = Penny @ 11.5" depth
Nickel @ 11.5" depth
Dime @ 11" depth
Quarter @ 12" depth
Half Dollar @ 12.5" depth
One Dollar Coin @ 12.5" depth
These are air tests only.(ideal conditions)
The 11" DD Pro (stock) Coil gets 1"-2" greater depth.

Last week I dug a silver ring at a 10" depth using my 8"x6" coil.

Make sure you do your noise cancel with coil on ground.Go to all metal to find your clean spot to noise cancel.Run you sensitivity at plus 3 auto or manual or higher the better whatever your ground conditions can handle with out too much falseing.I bought this coil and was not too impressed at first let it sit around a few months then went to a small trashy park that I had been hunting for over 30 years and had hunted with pro coil 2 times I accidentally had my sensitivity left in manual higher than auto from another site with pro coil.Found 2 silver quarters,4 silver dimes,8 IH in about 4 hours coil has not been off since been doing very well when I have time to get out have been working a lot.The deepest coin that I have found to date with 6X8 while hunting is 1980 nickel that was at just short of 10 inches but it came in good and read 15. Cow must have stepped on it, was disappointed in coin, not the coil.Pro Coil is great coil also,but I also have to tell you about this target had hunted a spot with Pro Coil did very good went back this spring with 6X8 the target was penny pocket spill 6 wheats with1 IH stacked like poker chips .at bottom of plug 4 inches down in plain sight I was not so happy with the find as I was was disturbed on how the Pro coil missed this target.Put grass plug back in hole,Put Pro Coil back on went over penny spill nulled out,did not sound off at all no matter what direction I came from.Removed coins went to all metal what I found was 6 inch rusted bolt directly under the pennys which nulled the pennies out with Pro Coil.I have been finding a lot of nice coins less than 6 inches deep I think under the same conditions in these trashy parks.

I have smaller and larger coils but the stock coil is the one I use about 90% of the time. The stock coil works very well for me in heavy trash as long as I'm not going by just the numbers. Don't get me wrong I like my other coils too and I use them from time to time but the stock coil will sniff out the oldies in heavy trash that others walk right over. I too like to over lap or as I say "I kind of double swing as I move along". :detecting: