Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

7 more hunts with the Equinox new user notes

DFX-Gregg

pic from last 7 hunts...

First nothing spectacular or jaw dropping...lol... Added $17.91 in clad...pushing my total to $41.53 counting two hunts with the DFX.

Added 3 wheaties all in the 1950's...total for year 5... 2 junk rings pushing my ring total to 5....2 silver....

A very large what I tought was a token... but it is actually a very large school metal for volleyball...which after cleaning I could read it...

A 1957-d nickel and a Bicentennial quarter...

NotesFor new users potential buyers...

I still like the weight of the unit and the nice clear display...

I have been using the 6 inch coil due to the trash infested areas....

A few things on the readings I do not like... again the depth meter not accurate.. more of an estimate...

The readings continue to only be used as a back up now to the tones

A few solid signals were foolers... had a quarter come in at 33... usually getting 29/30...
The large school metal came in at 31...
The junk rings both came in with a bouncy 19...

The only true readings for me seem to be the nickel, dime and normally the quarter which has a very easy tone to listen for...

Again tons of tiny ...and I mean tiny pieces of metal being picked up...

I almost feel like the equinox is more calibrated by the size of the item then anything else...some of the readings zincolns are all over (16-26)...

Three more hunts and I am going to make a few adjustments... tried a few basic ones... and I continue to run best sensitivity wise between 17 and 20...

Attachments

• 3 26 22 last 7 hunts clad.jpg
    3 26 22 last 7 hunts clad.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 3 26 22 last 7 hunts rings wheaties....jpg
    3 26 22 last 7 hunts rings wheaties....jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 64
pic from last 7 hunts...

First nothing spectacular or jaw dropping...lol... Added $17.91 in clad...pushing my total to $41.53 counting two hunts with the DFX.

Added 3 wheaties all in the 1950's...total for year 5... 2 junk rings pushing my ring total to 5....2 silver....

A very large what I tought was a token... but it is actually a very large school metal for volleyball...which after cleaning I could read it...

A 1957-d nickel and a Bicentennial quarter...

NotesFor new users potential buyers...

I still like the weight of the unit and the nice clear display...

I have been using the 6 inch coil due to the trash infested areas....

A few things on the readings I do not like... again the depth meter not accurate.. more of an estimate...

The readings continue to only be used as a back up now to the tones

A few solid signals were foolers... had a quarter come in at 33... usually getting 29/30...
The large school metal came in at 31...
The junk rings both came in with a bouncy 19...

The only true readings for me seem to be the nickel, dime and normally the quarter which has a very easy tone to listen for...

Again tons of tiny ...and I mean tiny pieces of metal being picked up...

I almost feel like the equinox is more calibrated by the size of the item then anything else...some of the readings zincolns are all over (16-26)...

Three more hunts and I am going to make a few adjustments... tried a few basic ones... and I continue to run best sensitivity wise between 17 and 20...
Are you a new hunter? Or have you used other detectors previous?
If you have used other detectors go back to the areas where you found good targets and see if you find more.

Are you a new hunter? Or have you used other detectors previous?
If you have used other detectors go back to the areas where you found good targets and see if you find more.
Started in 1980 with the Whites coinmaster 6000di, then extremely good success with the Whites dfx, added the Explorer se... burned myself out... stopped for 10 years... still have the other 3 detectors..just feel sometimes these detectors are hyped a little more than they should be... I like the equinox especially the light weight and the display...but at this point not sure it is much different than the Se...

At this point with gas skyrocketing we are at $5 a gallon.. just been detecting spots on way home from work and local park within walking distance... just stunned by the poor depth meter and the inaccurate coin readings at times.. also need to look up and to update version... and before I do...should I with this...

Last edited:
With the dfx never deep but dead accurate depth readings and VID on coins... Also the depth meter was/is so well spaced on the dfx...why in the world is everything crammed together on the Equinox? Zincoln from 16 to 26 crossing right over dimes? Makes no sense! and all the modern coins crammed in from 11 to 30... no spacing...

also found some extremely nice gold items and over 10,000 coins in a year with it..featured in their magazines 2x...

The main feedback I am getting is learn the tones... well... I am and use the tid for secondary confirmation. I also know I am coming back just after covid... and my hunts are shorter.. but at this point feel I would be making these same finds with my other detectors...

I will hit some older areas soon... but as mentioned try to time things out...

Last edited:
Started in 1980 with the Whites coinmaster 6000di, then extremely good success with the Whites dfx, added the Explorer se... burned myself out... stopped for 10 years... still have the other 3 detectors..just feel sometimes these detectors are hyped a little more than they should be... I like the equinox especially the light weigh and the display...but at this point not sure it is much different than the Se...

At this point with gas skyrocketing we are at $5 a gallon.. just been detecting spots on way home from work and local park within walking distance... just stunned by the poor depth meter and the inaccurate coin readings at times.. also need to look up and to update version... and before I do...should I with this...
Gregg, that is an issue some will discuss, update or not.
I have the latest update. I get jumpy numbers too. I still own an Exp II. I probably should sell it. It also gave me jumpy numbers.
The other day just coin shooting not looking silver, I got two different targets with iron in the same hole. One jumpy target was a clad dime lying flat but two inches right under it was a iron rusty bolt the size of my thumb. The other target with iron in the hole was a clad quarter on an angle with two small nails a little to the left of the coin. I missed those targets with other machines.
Try going back to areas you already hit good targets and see if the Nox gives you some silvers!

Last edited:
Gregg, that is an issue some will discuss, update or not.
I have the latest update. I get jumpy numbers too. I still own an Exp II. I probably should sell it. It also gave me jumpy numbers.
The other day just coin shooting not looking silver, I got two different targets with iron in the same hole.
Try going back to areas you already hit good targets and see if the Nox gives you some silvers!
Going to do that soon seems like each detector has issues... the dfx was not deep enough... the Explorer se seemed to lock on silver but the only gold I found with it was by luck and not often... the Equinox... I never see anyone finding gold unless on a beach or the coil underwater at a beach...

I am digging nickels and figure I will hit gold that way... but how about all these 14 signals pulltabs pulltabs... going to notch out that one number in a program and the Equinox signals all this TINY metal in the low numbers... crazy.. putting the time in... arms already sore...lol...

I used to be able to average $3 to $5 easy in clad easy and several times $10 or more...... I think I have gone over $3 one time in 17 hunts! Maybe just getting older and slower... Just not seeing the big advantage with the Equinx yet... actually a little puzzled...lol... not by the detector..by the finds... Going to start putting the standard coil back on every few hunts... I notice the 6 inch coil screams out at deep bottlecaps kind of weird.. save that tone for gold!

I used to be able to average $3 to $5 easy in clad easy and several times $10 or more...... I think I have gone over $3 one time in 17 hunts! Maybe just getting older and slower... Just not seeing the big advantage with the Equinx yet... actually a little puzzled...lol... not by the detector..by the finds... Going to start putting the standard coil back on every few hunts... I notice the 6 inch coil screams out at deep bottlecaps kind of weird.. save that tone for gold!
I like the 11inch coil. It separates well and goes deep. I also have the 6 and 15 but I haven’t used them in awhile.
You have to test rings to understand the numbers. Test your wedding ring in the field if you have one, then dig those signals on a sports field. But scrap can slaw is always a headache.
Does the Exp Se have the slanted display screen from top right to bottom center? That is the one on the Exp II. Test gold on that display screen you’ll see where it hits right into the iron.Switch to digital and remember the numbers. Its not that difficult if you test.
Stay positive and enjoy the hobby

One of the things I have learned about this hobby of metal detecting is "nothing is cast in stone." There are to many variables in coins composition, minerals in the ground from spot to spot, trash items with like tones and tid of coins and jewelry, wear on a coin, position of coin or jewelry piece in the ground, and so on, that can affect tid accuracy.

As far as clad numbers go, fewer coins are being used and lost today and compound that with fewer people getting out and about the last couple of years because of covid, there simply are less coins being replenished and thus to be found. And perhaps the same can be said about gold/silver jewelry being lost/found.

Greg, I don't mean to imply you are wrong about the Nox as things you mention about it that bother you did me as well starting out with it in June of 21. I never expected anything could really replace the Fisher, Garrett and Teknetic's detectors I had been using, but the Nox eventually pretty much now has. I can't state it has opened up any old sites for me, but it is getting the occasional silver coin and other older items that were still there after using other detectors on them for many years and I am not the only fellow that swings a detector in this area, either.

I hunt mainly in Park 1, multi frequency, 5 tones and near max sensitivity and recover the occasional 8-10" deep coin and a fair number with iron in the hole. Having fun, though, is the main thing. HH jim tn

I like the 11inch coil. It separates well and goes deep. I also have the 6 and 15 but I haven’t used them in awhile.
You have to test rings to understand the numbers. Test your wedding ring in the field if you have one, then dig those signals on a sports field. But scrap can slaw is always a headache.
Does the Exp Se have the slanted display screen from top right to bottom center? That is the one on the Exp II. Test gold on that display screen you’ll see where it hits right into the iron.Switch to digital and remember the numbers. Its not that difficult if you test.
Stay positive and enjoy the hobby
Thanks right now tryng to focus just on the Equinox, will run the explorer once it gets warmer... Also agree going to use the 11 inch more than I did with the dfx or explorer.

One of the things I have learned about this hobby of metal detecting is "nothing is cast in stone." There are to many variables in coins composition, minerals in the ground from spot to spot, trash items with like tones and tid of coins and jewelry, wear on a coin, position of coin or jewelry piece in the ground, and so on, that can affect tid accuracy.

As far as clad numbers go, fewer coins are being used and lost today and compound that with fewer people getting out and about the last couple of years because of covid, there simply are less coins being replenished and thus to be found. And perhaps the same can be said about gold/silver jewelry being lost/found.

Greg, I don't mean to imply you are wrong about the Nox as things you mention about it that bother you did me as well starting out with it in June of 21. I never expected anything could really replace the Fisher, Garrett and Teknetic's detectors I had been using, but the Nox eventually pretty much now has. I can't state it has opened up any old sites for me, but it is getting the occasional silver coin and other older items that were still there after using other detectors on them for many years and I am not the only fellow that swings a detector in this area, either.

I hunt mainly in Park 1, multi frequency, 5 tones and near max sensitivity and recover the occasional 8-10" deep coin and a fair number with iron in the hole. Having fun, though, is the main thing. HH jim tn
Thanks everything you said makes sense,,,, The thing that bothers me the most is the spread of readings for the zincolns and the tinniest of items it picks up... also the calibrations of items... with other detectors I always new when a wheatie now unless checking each cent in the field I never know...usually found when washing off... Definitely NOT just showing up as a 25/26...and the zincs definitely NOT just 20/21.... maybe that is how it was supposed to be and would have made this detector a lot better...

Gregg, out of curiosity, what version of software are you running?
I have been using the 800 for close to 3 years now and have never had a zinc penny read as high as what you are experiencing.
Most of the ones I find are half eaten away and usually read 16-18 depending on how much is left of them.
The ones that are fresh drops and not corroded read no higher than 20 or 21 at the most.
Older wheat pennies on the other hand do tend to read lower like a zinc penny and they can vary from the normal 24 -25 down to 20 or so.

I have been using the 800 for close to 3 years now and have never had a zinc penny read as high as what you are experiencing.
Most of the ones I find are half eaten away and usually read 16-18 depending on how much is left of them.
The ones that are fresh drops and not corroded read no higher than 20 or 21 at the most.
Older wheat pennies on the other hand do tend to read lower like a zinc penny and they can vary from the normal 24 -25 down to 20 or so.
This what I have experienced myself.

how do I tell?

how do I tell?
Click on the link to Minelab.

Connect the charging cable to your machine and plug the other end into your laptop or desktop.
Now download the utility then open.
This is NOT going to update your software. What this will do is communicate with your detector and determine was version you have.
I keep mine at 2.1.12 as this version works best for me.

Attachments

• 5B483EA5-A9DE-43AE-9FE8-2DDF8D1E7647.jpeg
    5B483EA5-A9DE-43AE-9FE8-2DDF8D1E7647.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
Click on the link to Minelab.

Connect the charging cable to your machine and plug the other end into your laptop or desktop.
Now download the utility then open.
This is NOT going to update your software. What this will do is communicate with your detector and determine was version you have.
I keep mine at 2.1.12 as this version works best for me.
ok thx will take a look tonight.

Going to do that soon seems like each detector has issues... the dfx was not deep enough... the Explorer se seemed to lock on silver but the only gold I found with it was by luck and not often... the Equinox... I never see anyone finding gold unless on a beach or the coil underwater at a beach...

I am digging nickels and figure I will hit gold that way... but how about all these 14 signals pulltabs pulltabs... going to notch out that one number in a program and the Equinox signals all this TINY metal in the low numbers... crazy.. putting the time in... arms already sore...lol...
In my opinion you are making a bad decision to notch out 14 especially if you are looking for nickels…
I rely on that number to determine if I am over a nickel or something else.
I have had a nickel read 14 for an instant, but I have never gotten a nickel that read up to 14 and bounce up to that number very much from 13.
Notching 14 to me loses some information.
I do not notch 10 or 11 for the same reason.