Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

7 more hunts with the Equinox new user notes

is this the label you mean? Yes purchased new...

is it the number that starts with 3... or is that a build date or what...otherwise I can just plug in...

Attachments

• equinox label.jpg
    equinox label.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 54
In my opinion you are making a bad decision to notch out 14 especially if you are looking for nickels…
I rely on that number to determine if I am over a nickel or something else.
I have had a nickel read 14 for an instant, but I have never gotten a nickel that read up to 14 and bounce up to that number very much from 13.
Notching 14 to me loses some information.
I do not notch 10 or 11 for the same reason.
let me know see above thank you.

is this the label you mean? Yes purchased new...

is it the number that starts with 3... or is that a build date or what...otherwise I can just plug in...
Yes…. Look at the very bottom (SW 3.1)… it looks like you have the latest version.

If you look on the box label, it will state which version is on it if you bought it new.
The shipping box that is.
That works too

Yep you have the latest version.

up to date already but thanks for your help.. i do see the number on label and I plugged in to double check...

Attachments

• equinox update check.jpg
    equinox update check.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 61
I upgraded to 3.1 and ( to me ) the audio didn’t seem the same. To me the audio was “softer” and wasn’t as pronounced.
I seem to remember numbers jumping around a bit more too on targets. So I reinstalled 2.1.12 and that’s where I have been ever since.

I upgraded to 3.1 and ( to me ) the audio didn’t seem the same. To me the audio was “softer” and wasn’t as pronounced.
I seem to remember numbers jumping around a bit more too on targets. So I reinstalled 2.1.12 and that’s where I have been ever since.
Same here….

A couple thoughts here. First, remember that zincoln cents are in various states of decay. They are an embarrassment to this country. I don't understand why anybody saves those which are already corroding/dissolving. They go on the garbage side of my finds pouch. I throw them out with the rest of the trash. The thin copper jacket tears revealing the zinc planchette inside and its game over. They're unrecognizable. Depending on how far gone when you come across them, they read between 16-21. Don't waste time or effort counting or cleaning them.

Second, ditch the 6" coil. Save it for super dense trash areas. The 800 was designed around the 11" coil. It will find stuff like deep targets mixed with rusty nails and bolts. It loves old nickels and other mid tone stuff. 12-13.

Don't discriminate out targets. Forget those old antiquated methods. Many park hunters use tones to audibly separate various categories of targets. Like mentioned above, park 1 mode with 5-tones allows you to divide common park targets into 5 categories. Iron, foil/small gold ring, nickels, aluminum tabs/men's gold rings, higher conductive coins.

Iron is going to be -9 to 0. Assign this category a low tone and adjust the volume for this category to barely audible. You want to know iron is under the coil so you can work the coil around it and see if there might be a good target that's masked hiding with it.

Small gold ring / foil is 1-11. These are women's gold rings, foil wads, earrings, 22 casings. If you are in an area that has high probability of jewelry loss have this tone louder and a higher frequency than iron. Make it jump out to your hearing in a pleasant way. If it isn't likely to hold jewelry, turn the volume down so you can hear but it doesn't turn your brain to mush after 30 minutes.

Nickels are 12-13. Make this frequency high and loud enough it stands out. You will find lots of nickels. They will target I'd spot on at depth. Be aware that a pull tab tongue folded in half rings up the same but won't be as deep.

14-17. Men's gold rings, pull tabs, square tabs, corroded zincs, trade tokens and cool stuff. The upper end of this 4th category or tone is variable for me depending on whether I expect to find IHC's in the area I'm searching. IHC's can run as low as 17 for a well worn version up to 21. If I'm hunting for jewelry, this upper end is move to 21 and I assign this tone a louder volume to make it jump to my attention. Again, be flexible. Use the tone and volumes to let the detector sort and categorize for you. It is really good at it.

18-40. High tone and volume. Listen for those deep squeaks. Like you would with the explorer. I find more deeper targets with the 800. I ran an explorer xs and then an etrac for years and years. The 800 sorts better and unmasks better.

Remember you are searching for keepers with the 800 that have been missed by other detectors. Take your time, move slowly. Learn to keep the reactivity setting lower. Depending on the location I move mine between 4-6. I adjust the iron bias Fe2 setting between 0-4. If the ground is wet and I'm digging too must rusty iron, I adjust it upward. Keeping it low helps me find keepers in with the rusty nails. It is common to have 2 or 3 rusty nails in a hole hiding a keeper from other detectors. Don't quit just because a rusty nail turns up. Check the hole again. Keep the iron audible, but low in volume listen for those mixed signals.

Don't forget to noise cancel at the beginning of the hunt.
Keep the sensitivity high as possible.
Ground balance at the beginning of your hunt over clean ground
Turn off the cell phone while detecting. EMI.

Some of my own thoughts here.

Rich

A couple thoughts here. First, remember that zincoln cents are in various states of decay. They are an embarrassment to this country. I don't understand why anybody saves those which are already corroding/dissolving. They go on the garbage side of my finds pouch. I throw them out with the rest of the trash. The thin copper jacket tears revealing the zinc planchette inside and its game over. They're unrecognizable. Depending on how far gone when you come across them, they read between 16-21. Don't waste time or effort counting or cleaning them.

Second, ditch the 6" coil. Save it for super dense trash areas. The 800 was designed around the 11" coil. It will find stuff like deep targets mixed with rusty nails and bolts. It loves old nickels and other mid tone stuff. 12-13.

Don't discriminate out targets. Forget those old antiquated methods. Many park hunters use tones to audibly separate various categories of targets. Like mentioned above, park 1 mode with 5-tones allows you to divide common park targets into 5 categories. Iron, foil/small gold ring, nickels, aluminum tabs/men's gold rings, higher conductive coins.

Iron is going to be -9 to 0. Assign this category a low tone and adjust the volume for this category to barely audible. You want to know iron is under the coil so you can work the coil around it and see if there might be a good target that's masked hiding with it.

Small gold ring / foil is 1-11. These are women's gold rings, foil wads, earrings, 22 casings. If you are in an area that has high probability of jewelry loss have this tone louder and a higher frequency than iron. Make it jump out to your hearing in a pleasant way. If it isn't likely to hold jewelry, turn the volume down so you can hear but it doesn't turn your brain to mush after 30 minutes.

Nickels are 12-13. Make this frequency high and loud enough it stands out. You will find lots of nickels. They will target I'd spot on at depth. Be aware that a pull tab tongue folded in half rings up the same but won't be as deep.

14-17. Men's gold rings, pull tabs, square tabs, corroded zincs, trade tokens and cool stuff. The upper end of this 4th category or tone is variable for me depending on whether I expect to find IHC's in the area I'm searching. IHC's can run as low as 17 for a well worn version up to 21. If I'm hunting for jewelry, this upper end is move to 21 and I assign this tone a louder volume to make it jump to my attention. Again, be flexible. Use the tone and volumes to let the detector sort and categorize for you. It is really good at it.

18-40. High tone and volume. Listen for those deep squeaks. Like you would with the explorer. I find more deeper targets with the 800. I ran an explorer xs and then an etrac for years and years. The 800 sorts better and unmasks better.

Remember you are searching for keepers with the 800 that have been missed by other detectors. Take your time, move slowly. Learn to keep the reactivity setting lower. Depending on the location I move mine between 4-6. I adjust the iron bias Fe2 setting between 0-4. If the ground is wet and I'm digging too must rusty iron, I adjust it upward. Keeping it low helps me find keepers in with the rusty nails. It is common to have 2 or 3 rusty nails in a hole hiding a keeper from other detectors. Don't quit just because a rusty nail turns up. Check the hole again. Keep the iron audible, but low in volume listen for those mixed signals.

Rich
Excellent advice & post Rich !!

Rich
Thanks quite a few of these I am doing but going to work on the tones soon...

Thanks quite a few of these I am doing but going to work on the tones soon...

Gregg, there are lots of ways to put the 800, and other detectors with similar features, to work for you . In places like parks and schools where there is a lot of conductive trash, you may want to categorize areas if conductive junk on the target ID scale with a tone that is quieter and less 'noisy' to your hearing and mind. In other places where those same areas on the target ID scale might be Gold Rings or jewelry, you want to make them stand out and jump to your attention.

Other areas, you might just enjoy multi-tones which are similar to the explorer. I love multi-tones, but they are not the best way for me to pick out possible good targets in an old park or school where there is a lot of conductive trash. It's crazy how good the 800 is as sorting thru the conductive trash and highlighting possible good keepers.

I believe that iron audio and the ability to customize tones and volumes is a huge benefit to finding targets that have been masked or missed by other detectorists over the years. There are so many different ways to approach hunting an area. This is just another 'method' to keep in mind and apply when you think it can be to your advantage.

Rich -