Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

705 questions

reffitt20

I have a couple of questions so thanks for taking time out to answer if you are able. These boards are great for learning and I appreciate people who are willing to help.

1. I don't know if this is a question more of a statement. For myself it has been difficult to find good videos of people actually using their 705 in detecting, digging and finding coins. I have learned Randy and Old long hair are basically the god fathers of 705 information. I wish they would make some videos actually out using their 705 because it would help alot. If some one has detailed videos of people actually sweeping, digging, and retrieving please link them for me.

2. When detecting I have noticed its hard for me to lock on a single target. Probably because there is such a high amount of objects in the ground where I am hunting. I find a decent signal in the high forties and as I am trying to pinpoint the numbers jump around a little. I dig my hole and proceed to try to look for object with my pin pointer. after removing some nails or trash and so forth I have lost my 40's number and get frustrated. I have found coins but nothing very deep. I have the stock 9'' con coil. I don't believe its the best at sorting out signals. I know when its going to be a penny, that is usually consistent but that is about it.

3. Speed. I have slowed down my speed dramatically and have noticed improvements without a doubt but what speed do you take when you swing?

4. Since I don't believe 9" coil is the best, is the digger coil 6" my answer in separation? I have good sites, they just have some high trash.

5. I was running with my thresh hold way to high. I brought it down and notice improvements. So what is your settings on sensitivity, thresh hold, tones, discrimination,
I run mine in setting 1 with nothing canceled out with sensitivity at 16, and switch between 4 tones and 99. But what do you run every setting in? (for coins)

6. All the coins I have found have been fairly shallow, 4" max and most in less than 2" I have deep targets out there I just have not figured it out yet.

I know its a long read but I am looking for coins in particular and I know it takes awhile to become very efficient. I am leaning towards a digger coil but I guess I just want some confidence from some one else. I feel like I should be finding some silver coins with the 9" coil I just haven't yet. And one reason I believe is I don't have my detector set up correctly to find deeper silver coin targets yet. I am grateful for your help though

I am still looking for that 44-46 signal to scream out at me and say hey! dig me! and it turns out to be a silver coin. It just hasn't happened yet and I am starting to believe its my settings maybe.

Coins scream out right? No matter the depth? or the deeper the coin the less it screams out?

I had the same problem and the fix for me was to purchase the 10 x 5 DD 18.75 coil, set the 705 to ID stability, make sure it is on with a + at the top and you will be abel to run the sensitivity a little higher. in my area usually around 22. Also run the tracking because the ground balance will change continually.

I was like you with the stock concentric coil the TID was all over the place, high, low just would not lock in.

I will purchase a 6" DD soon for the highly infested sites.

Hope this helps, i have detected over thirty years with many different detectors but this is the first Minelab and it is some what different, but once you get it down you will like it a lot, Its the only one i know of that changes the frequency as you change the coil..

Good Luck

The question is, are you finding any non-ferrous junk at 6-8"? If you are, then it's just the area you're hunting and/or you just haven't come across the deep silver yet. When I start wondering if I'm getting deep enough, I start digging everything and see if there is much of anything deeper, that's within reach. What I mean by that, is if you have a site that somewhere in it's history had clean fill spread over it, you might have a bunch of modern trash down to about 4", a layer or clean fill that's 5 or 6 inches thick and then the original surface. If you're hearing any kind of targets at 6", it's likely just the site you're hunting is not very productive. There are a lot of factors involved here, a lot.

I usually have my threshd at 3 or 4. My ground usually ground balances in the forties to fifty range so the nincn coil is good for me. I use the 3 kHz the most. I run my sensitivity as high as I can usually around 23-25. I like two tones and sometimes I use 3 or 4. Make sure you noise cancel first then ground balance and set sensitivity.

Your swing speed should be no faster then 3 to 4 seconds from right to left. May theshad I think it's set at 4, it's just a background noise for me. I do not notice it until I'm in a area with a lot of iron. Most times I like to use pattern 1 with 4 tones but their is those places I like to use AM with 2 tones. I try to run my senc at max as much as I can, but that is not always the best thing to do, but do try to run it as high as you can if you want to find the deep coins. also if you want to find the old coins you have to go to places that has old history, older then the 1950's

I hope some of this helps you in finding older coins and once you find that first silver it does get a lil easier, lol

A DD coil will help you separate targets and pinpoint their location. the stock coil throws a bowl shaped signal down into the ground meaning chances are there will be several items under you coil at once making it harder to lock onto those good targets in trashy area's. A DD coil throws more of a cateye shape signal meaning you will have less targets under it at once.

My motto for swing speed is low and slow will get you the dough. if it beeps and carries on your going to fast and or the sens is too high

Yes the digger or the 10 x 5 DD's coils will help a lot ... I'd go with the Digger 6" if you are after coins, especially silver ones

yes I also have one of the stock programs with it opened all the way. a DD coil will also generally let you run the sens. higher meaning the deeper you can go. it's a combination of swing speed and sens. to get the machine to do it's best work. with the digger I can run most places easily with Sens. set at 22 and some times go as high as 27. learning that balance is the key to success

I like 4 tones and have learned to ignore the low iron tone and just listen for the other tones ... some people like the all tones but it was just too busy for my old brain

a DD coil and higher sens. will get you deeper but it could be you just don't have any deeper targets. a lot depends on your soil type as far as how deep the coins are and also being in older areas will help

sounds like you are on the right track, be patient and keep asking questions

By now you should see a pattern emerging that makes doing videos somewhat difficult. That pattern, is that few people are going to set up their machines the same due to conditions and preferences. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's that the Xterra is so adjustable, which is why I always say that if what you're doing isn't working...change something! To truly take advantage of what this machine can do, YOU need to be as flexible as it is.

That said, I'm picking up a new digital camcorder today, and I hope to do a few vids of live hunts so I can show MY swing, how I pick through trashy areas, and illustrate real time how long buried targets respond with various setup changes.

That would be great, i know a lot of us will appreciate your efforts as we all want to learn more about this great machine.

Thanks so much for your help. You do a great service with your information.

Just out of curiosity... when you say high forties:

"I find a decent signal in the high forties and as I am trying to pinpoint the numbers jump around a little. I dig my hole and proceed to try to look for object with my pin pointer. after removing some nails or trash and so forth I have lost my 40's number and get frustrated."

Do you mean 46-48? If so, it is quite likely the rusty nails or iron giving that reading. I'm in Canada, and our silver coins read a bit different... but I believe the only way you are going to get a silver signal higher than 44 is if you've found a silver half dollar or dollar... which is quite uncommon. Read Randy's ebook "Understanding your X-Terra" for a better explanation of why this happens :)

I would also like to see some good videos on the 705. So far the best ones that I have found on youtube are several by Malcom Potter using the 705 at the Plague farm and also one called Dan's guide to the 705.