Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

705 suggestion

DetectorOCD

Hello,
I have been reading a ton of pdfs and articles about the 705 in anticipation of a purchase soon. My question is this.

What pattern should I run for hitting hot on jewelry, 1? I assume the 18khz coil works best for this? Do you guys do a pattern or run AM and listen for the pulltab numbers?

What about deep silver in a trashy park that I don't want to dig caps and tabs or excess foil? Pattern 2?

I know the 705 must be swung slower than the Tesoros I'm used to. I just hope it hits on gold as good as the compadre does!

Thanks!

The 705 is a great unit and don't forget Big Boys Hobbies when you get ready to purchase, also don't get rid of your Tesoro it has its place as you will find out after using the X-Terra, the noise canceling on the X works better than any other unit i have every used, i have one park that just drives detectors nuts, have talked to several others swinging there and they have the same problem, it is next to a hospital and so much interference but with the X it is as stable as any other park, no jumpy numbers and sweet sounds, probably why i have found four rings in this park, so there are some very good things about the X that will help you on different hunts.

You won't go wrong purchasing this unit, get the gold pack, i made the mistake not ordering this and had to purchase the 10 x 5 DD coil , the biggest thing that helps on this machine is the tracking, the ground balance in my area changes constantly so if you manual ground balance on a machine after two steps its out of whack!!!

Thanks Digger45 but that doesn't answer my question lol. Glad the 705 is working for you :thumbup:

I hunt in AM almost exclusively. When not in AM, I'm usually running either in Prospecting mode or Disc mode with nothing notched. In some cases, where iron trash is high and ground is conductive I'll run with -8 & 48 notched.

The problem with pull tabs is that there are so many sizes and configurations of them, and to make matters worse people mangle/modify/mutilate them so many different ways as to make their ID extremely inconsistent.

DetectorOCD said:
Do you guys do a pattern or run AM and listen for the pulltab numbers?

What about deep silver in a trashy park that I don't want to dig caps and tabs or excess foil? Pattern 2?

Don't get too hung up on patterns. Patterns can work for or against you. Getting out and using the detector understanding TID's, sounds and what you dig up when you put that all together is the best thing to do. The more you correlate what you are digging with what it sounded like and ID's at the closer you will be to mastering the detector.

I run pattern 1 most of the time because of so much junk in the ground in my area, if there isn't a lot of signals i will run in AM but you are still down to digging most signals, because the pull tabs in my area will come in at 10,12,14,16 and especially at 18 so this is the range for GOLD!! So here is where you have to make the decision as to what you might be missing, silver is no problem because it is a pretty constant number.

This is no different that most of the other detectors i have they all get fooled by pull tabs to some extent.

I also run my 705 in AM and i am confident in its tones and TID numbers, i believe it is the most stable and accurate TID machine i have used.. once you learn it, it talks directly to you:)

AM will also teach you what proper swing speed is, by making you find out how slow you can go to separate targets from trash. If it sounds to you like a Kaliope on meth, your swing is too fast.

I run mine in AM about 90% of the time and pattern 1 the other 10%. I haven't yet played much with running disc with nothing notched but I will.
I look forward to heading out with the 705, I can be in an area that has targets every 3 inches or so and get that high tone blip that almost always turns out to be a coin.
I think we get too caught up in kHz, really. I'm sure kHz makes a difference for many reasons but I also think that if a coin or jewelry is under that coil, you're going to pick it up.
Hope you get a 705 and enjoy it as much as the rest of us.

Thanks! I might go out on a limb and build my own headphones this time. My killer bee's are 150ohm and I've read that Minelabs sound good with 100ohm.

As I mentioned in my eBook, (pages 86 & 87), I like using zero discrimination in a Pattern for two reasons:

Reason one...
Running in a Discrimination Pattern with zero discrimination more accurately identifies deep iron as a ferrous target, compared to the All Metal.

Reason two...
When you turn the X-TERRA on, all the settings you used the last time you hunted are saved, with one exception. It will not turn back on to All Metal. It always sets up in the last Discrimination Pattern you used. So, in order to not have to worry about forgetting to switch to All Metal, I established one of my Discrimination Patterns to accept all notches. This way, when I turn on the detector, it sets up in a Discrimination Pattern with zero discrimination.

As to digging trash........numbers are numbers and sounds are sounds.......with a little "backyard practice", you will learn to recognize specific targets, and decide which ones you want to dig. JMHO HH Randy

Fantastic! By the way, perhaps I don't have your ebook? I didn't think it had 87 pages. I am very interested!