Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

7th Corp Arkansas badge cut out of a Prussian coin.

That's an absolutely great find!

Is it really an Arkansas badge or could it be an Prussian coin with the symbol (star in the opening of a half-moon) of the Ottoman Empire - today Republic of Turkey?
In fact there were military connections between the Prussians and the Ottomans from the 1820s to 1918. The Prussians sent military equipment, supervisors, training instructors and so on to the southeast. The owner could have been one of them.

This is from Wikipedia about Turkish Americans:
"It is also known that during the American Civil War, Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamid, in support of the North had sent a symbolic camel caravan of material and goods and many of the Turks who came with this shipment settled down in Michigan, esp. the Detroit area."
So the owner could also have been one of those. Maybe a research can reveal if the Turkish troops ever came to the spot where the coin was found.

yankeewriter85 said:
The German-American Civil War story needs to be told. Cheers.

There is a book: "Germans in the Civil War: The Letters they wrote home", showing more than 300 letters written by soldiers of German origin in US and CS ranks. It

Hey Phil, thanks for looking.

It is a Prussian coin.

It was found in the area of Bardstown Ky.

We know there were troops there, but we never researched it.

While the PRUSSIAN - OPTTOMAN connection is a bit of interesting History, I would say that it is a 7th Arkansas Corps badge, that was carved by someone of Prussian decent who was in that unit, or at least had acquired a Prussian coin.

The reason being, is that the points of the star, line up perfectly with modern day depictions of the 7th Arkansas Corps insignia.

If I had a guess, I would think that it was done by a member of th e 7th Arkansas, as a bit of camp craft. He likely wore it around his neck as a medalion, as Larry IL pointed out that it has a worn, elongated loop at the top.

There is an insignia, reputed to be of the 7th Arkansas, found by a MD-er over near Springfield. I have my doubts as to if it is truly 7th Corps Arkansas. Note that the star inside it is not at all like that of Deno's find, nor, of the known 7th Corps insignias. The points on this one is all wrong.

The points look a lot like that of a Louisiana hat badge that was found.

Note that the modern day police badge for the city of New Orleans is the exact replica of the find near Springfield, Mo, points on the star, inside the Cresent positioned the same.

So, in my opinion, Deno found the real deal, a Arkansas 7th Corps badge, of probable camp craft orgin, and the guy in Springfield, Mo has a very interesting find, but not likely 7th Corps

Springfield, Mo find Not 7th Arkansas ...........................to compare... we have this dug LOUISIANA hat badge. It Looks like one to the left

The BOTTOM LEFT photo.... is the insignia flag of the New Orleans Police Department. It looks like the Louisiana Hat Badge, and the one found in Springfield, MO. The BOTTOM RIGHT is the Arkansas 7th Corps insignia. which, in looking at the star poiints, is identical to the the badge that Deno found.

Thanks for looking and your input Nestor Cerpa, It should have been my find, but being the nice guy I am, I called my

buddy Weaver over as soon as I located the debri field and he found this right off the bat. The farmer had given me directions

to where he had seen pottery and all the other good signs we lust for. Weaver was getting on me saying I must have got the

directions screwed up since we weren't finding anything, turns out the farmers memory was off by about 300'. We have never

been back but we are planing a return trip. Thanks again to you and everyone else for looking and your comments.

This is the best hobby in the world and we all save history that might otherwise be lost forever.