Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

800 - DIED - graveyard dead

WaterWalker

A half an hour into my second salt water hunt, while digging a target the Equinox’s audio went wild, multiple beeps of different tones and would not stop. I saw the Cd error code, powered the unit OFF and went back to the car where I dried it off. Checked both the connectors for water, they were perfectly dry. I turned the Equinox back ON and got the Cd error again. Then I could not turn the detector OFF. I tried holding the power switch down for 8 second for a factory reset, no help. I headed straight to my dealer. On the 8 mile ride the detector first kept cycling and giving the Cd error, about half way it stopped and then 3 miles later it started to cycle again. This time the error was FP. FP is not listed as an Error code in the manual.

At the dealer’s shop the Equinox kept cycling, stopping with a FP error for a minute or so. We tried my coil on an Equinox 600 with no problems. We then connected the 600’s coil to my control panel with no difference between the two coils. I left and at home I connected my Equinox 800 to the charger. The green light was on solid in about 3 minutes it started to flicker – not a normal blinking. Another two minutes and the green light went completely OFF. Another two minutes and it the green light started to blink as if the detector was charging. Note: the detector was in use for only 30 minutes since it had been fully charged. Infantile Mortality - it happens with electronics, I do not and can not blame Minelab.

About 20 minutes into the charge the FP error message disappeared and the unit remained charging as the green light was still blinking. Between an hour and a half and two hours of charging the green light stopped flashing. I disconnected the charger and tried to turn the detector ON, no sign of life at all.

I called Minelab Monday left message 4/30 at 5:35pm. An E-mail reply with Two Day UPS call tag came on 5/1 in time for me to ship the Equinox back on Tuesday. The unit was received at Minelab in Naperville, Illinois - not the PA repair center! One day for Minelab process the failed unit and ship it back by Ground UPS which took 5 days. Yes, in 8 days I was back in the water. I could not believe that the replacement detector along with a new Good Luck Charm from a fellow detectorist lead me to a faint signal reading 4 on the display. I could not believe it I have read of the Equinox’s ability to find gold chains, well IT DID. A beautiful 14K 27gr bracelet. Equinox is now paid for and in less than 3 hours of detecting in salt water and two trips to Minelab. The first trip back was for the shaft slop.

Two problems, two rapid fixes, three hours fo detecting and I am almost a believer that the Equinox will obsolete some of my other detectors. But each detector I have has its own special use so no commitment to sell is still many hours of detecting with the Equinox away.

Two thumbs up for the Equinox and Minelab!

Good to hear WW, I have it on good authority that Minelab in Illinois are doing all Equinox repairs "at this time" to capture all info on problems found with the Equinox roll out. The Pennsylvania facility will take over after a few short months of data gathering for the mother ship in Australia. From everything I've read, the Illinois shop is doing wonders with getting the machines back to the customers.

What a great way to pay off the machine after the repairs....

Cliff

The first problem - shaft slop - did you return the whole unit and get a replacemet?

You refer to the 2nd unit as repaired and as also as replaced -

Do you now have your 3rd unit? I ask because of earlier reports that the control unit is sealed and not repairable.

No one likes repairs...... let alone repairs on a new machine ugh. BUT..... anyone thats been a water hunter very long knows..... theres going to be repairs no way around it. We also know....... stuff happens and not every machine rolling off the line will be perfect. Quality control can only do so much. HOWEVER....... what we do expect is good customer service after the sale and it appears ML has stepped it up. Good to hear.

WHAT ..... you didnt open the battery compartment? lol. Ive had to remove the handle a couple of times now after having been in the water a good many hours. That hole where the nipple goes does allow water ..... and sand to be in the connected area. How will those battery seals hold up...... that may be the question. Hey..... but all good for 3 years right? I plan on have a ton of hours on it by that time.

With the detector being "dead" and going back for repair/replacement I was not about to open up the battery compartment or mess with anything that could lead one to think I had done something to cause the failure.

The shaft slop/slip "repair"; Yes, I had to send everything back to Naperville, in original box and over-wrap plain brown box. Just the upper shaft appeared to be replaced as the same serial number was returned.

The "Dead" unit is the original control box as above, my first Equinox. When it died I had to send everything back, in original box and over-wrap plain brown box. This time the control box and upper shaft were apparently replace, the control box has a new serial number. This would be Equinox number two for me. And I hope the last time I have to send one back. A new English screen cover was included with the new serial number control box. I am keeping the original and over-wrap boxes just in case.

As an aside; I still have the original box for my Excalibur Sword...mid 1990's vintage...which had been some where around 7,000 hours in the water. I wish I could say the Sword was still working, but only some of its parts in other Excaliburs exist. I guess I could scrap out the cardboard box, but maybe it will be a collectable some day. My second Excalibur is pushing around 6,000 hours in the water. The Equinox only 3 hours so far. At age 71 I hope I can put at least 6,000 hours in the water with the Equinox 800. Weather and health I hope will be the deciding factors and not the Equinox's longevity.

Congrat's on getting the replacement Nox and getting back in the water to find Gold. Sorry to hear you had a problem in the first place, but glad it is hopefully resolved and a thing of the past.

Happy they are getting fast at helping us dedicated Minelab users.
Just hope I never have to test them to see how quick they are lol.

Good to hear about the good customer service.

Initially I was looking at an Equinox but was spooked away by some reports of poor service, but it seems like things are going well now.

Good stuff
Congrats on a great gold chain :thumbup:

When something in the control head goes wrong (lcd, switches, circuit board with electronics), Minelab apparently just replaces the entire control head. Great for owners in terms of turn-around time--at least while still under warranty.

Now according to ML........ your warranty is now only good for 6 mos. on all repairs.:pinnochio Just curious...... did they update your warranty changing the new number? Well welcome to my world where EVERYTHING breaks lol.

I believe the 6 months is on repairs that are completed AFTER the initial Warranty period.
I am not sure about the new unit being registered as Minelab was having computer problems with their registration process. I called and was told that the new number would be entered as being registered to me when the computer problem was fixed.

I have faith in Minelab electronics. One of my Excaliburs died after some 7,000+ hours over 25 years. Second Excaliur is still swinging after some 5,000+ hours in the water. Neither have not had an electronic failure, cables - yes, coils - yes, but electronics - NO!