Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

800 vs 600 for gold nuggets

SWMO Mark

I heard that the 600 uses 20 and 40 kHz. along with the other freq. if your in the multi freq. mode. If you use the multi freq. on the 600 will it pick up small gold nuggets as good as the 800 in the gold frequencies ? Thanks, Mark

I have used both the 600 and the 800 prospecting. They do very well in Park 2 and Field 2 for small gold (.2 grams and up) My 600 in Park or Field 2 will hit a .2 gram nugget at 2" in moderate to high mineralization. Larger nuggets will be detected deeper.

The gold modes on the 800 will give you another inch or two. More importantly, the gold modes are setup to automatically do well around hot rocks and highly mineralized soil. I have dug .1 gram nuggets at 3" with the 800 in gold 2 and a .5 gram nugget at 5" under magnetite and next to a hot rock that most other gold detectors would have never seen. I don't know if the 600 in Park 2 or Field 2 would have detected either of those due to the way the gold modes are setup.

Jeff

That's really interesting...I used Steve Hs equinox last year a little and banged in some small gold in this patch I was using my Bug 2 .. wish I'd have paid more attention to the detector as I have one now just haven't set it up to use yet I'm still traveling in Thailand will be home the 30th of this month...

Correct me if I’m wrong
The 600 highest frequency is 15khz
The 800 highest frequency is 20kHz and 40khz for gold

Hi Donut,
it is my understanding that the Nox 800 and Nox 600 use exactly the same frequencies in multi frequency Park, Field and Beach modes. If there are frequencies above 15 kHz being used in those modes (I know there are higher frequencies being used because my Nox in Field 1 drives my ORX crazy when I have the ORX set at 31 kHz) for return signals we probably will never know. Independent testing has already proven that the Nox 600 uses transmit frequencies higher than 15 kHz. So the only difference frequency wise between the 600 and 800 are the selectable single frequencies available in Park, Field and Beach modes.

Jeff

If you are serious about gold why would you not get the 800? I came real close to going 600, but decided I would be more likely to regret going short on features than cash.

I’m considering getting the 600 to be my second detector but my concerns is from what things I heard is the the TID is different and I would have to try to remember the different TID OF each.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Target IDs on the Nox 800, Nox 600 and even the X-Terra 70 and 705 are virtually the same. The only times I've experienced weird coin target IDs with these detectors are in extreme weather conditions, extremely wet, frozen or dry soil and if the coins are damaged (super corroded zinc pennies), dented or cut. For gold prospecting, target ID variations are much more dependent on shape, size, purity and how mineralized the soil is. The Nox 600 and 800 in default Park, Field and Beach modes should detect gold nugget targets virtually the same apart from some slight differences in default recovery speed settings.

Jeff

Ok thanks I didn’t realize that .

I live in the East so detecting for raw gold most likely will never happen.
But, looking in the Equinox manual, (I am new to the 600 so really don't know what i'm doing yet) on page 62, could you not just change one of the 600 modes to mimic, say gold 1 or 2, by just changing settings in maybe park or field to the gold settings listed?

Changing the setting will make any mode look the same but the kicker is you will not change the algorithms which is were the "magic" happens. By magic I mean the way each mode interprets signals, its a bit of unknown how it works other than well. Hope this helps, JMO
HH Jeff

The one obvious adjustment that you cannot make between the Park, Field and Beach modes and the Gold modes is the audio in the Gold modes. It is single tone boosted VCO which gives a lot more information about a target by its intensity and change in pitch. VCO audio and boost are not available in the other modes. There may be a difference in the threshold in the Gold modes too since the threshold tone in Gold 1 and 2 will null or become unstable on changing ground conditions. Like Laplander said there may be other changes in the signal processing and frequencies used that are not adjustable and information will not be released about them since it is proprietary.

Jeff

Well I understand, but really don't understand all the "important stuff mentioned". I figured there were things that just couldn't be duplicated from the Gold modes. Anyway, if I ever had the chance to chase after those little gold things, I would give my 600 a try, or even my T2+.. But like mentioned, here in upstate NY, its only a dream. Thanks Gents