Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8th Hunt Old Fair grounds

daddyflea

Went back for another Hunt and pickings were slim. Everything worked good. I just did not find a lot. I did manage to find a

1937D Wheat
1938D Wheat
Neat little Skeleton Key

I did have one problem. One good target that just disappeared. Can you see the Target.

Hint look on the Digger.

I like the skelton key... I haven't found one in awhile. the pennies came out in good condition. I used to hunt an old fairgrounds that was a cotton field now a church sits there. It's off limits now :(
It was a sweet spot.. most of my finds there were barber dimes.
Congrats on your finds.. I hope that there are many more there for you..

Found a key similar and turned out to be a winding key for old mantle clock. And once had a cheapo ring stick to my old digging tool. My spade had a forked tip and the ring had wedged in there.

This is certainly an antique key, but not a skeleton key in the strict sense of the word. A skeleton key is a "master" key for a system of warded style locks and is accomplished by removing most of the metal that would block key movement for a range of ward positions. It could also be a key for a lever type of lock (sometimes hard to tell from warded by the key). In a lever style lock it is generally not possible to create a master key for a system hence no "skeleton" key (unless all the levers match in the system and only the wards differ - very poor security). (In modern pin tumbler locks a master key can be made to match a second set of tumbler breaks common to each lock in the system, though this reduces the overall security.) :nerd:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_key

-pete

When I was growing up the locks that we used all had keys that were commonly referred to as skeleton keys. They may not have fit the proper definition but everyone called them that name.

Those of us with a few years under out belts (a whole lot more than a few) still call them skeleton keys.

GeorgeinSC said:
When I was growing up the locks that we used all had keys that were commonly referred to as skeleton keys. They may not have fit the proper definition but everyone called them that name.

Those of us with a few years under out belts (a whole lot more than a few) still call them skeleton keys.

Just so you will know I am one of those that has a few years under my belt. I robbed the Cradle and my Wife always tries to get me to ask for a Senior Citizens Discount. I really hate that.

Sorry I bet a bunch have never heard of the term "Robbed the Cradle." Oh well they will figure it out one day.

daddyflea said:
GeorgeinSC said:

Just so you will know I am one of those that has a few years under my belt. I robbed the Cradle and my Wife always tries to get me to ask for a Senior Citizens Discount. I really hate that.

Sorry I bet a bunch have never heard of the term "Robbed the Cradle." Oh well they will figure it out one day.

As a matter of fact, even at the tender age of 51, I have heard of "Robbing the Cradle" . . . its one of those curious old-timey expressions designed to subtly punish people for life choices that "Mrs. Grundy" didn't approve of. But, as Robert Heinlein said: "Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." :rofl:

-pete