Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

9.6v Ni Cd pack OK for XS-2 Pro

MickTwin

I have an old Sov XS-2 Pro which has been working fine with the original NiCad battery pack. As time goes on, I'm worried that battery pack will start losing its' power holding ability and start to go bad. I don't have a working AA battery set up. I just cut the wires to an old toy 9.6v pack and touched them to the spring contacts in the Sov box. As long as the red wire is on the left spring and the black wire is on the right - it seems to work fine, (A quarter hits at 180 on my converted meter).

Is there any danger using this pack? The original battery pack is 12v 700mAh. Obviously a few volts higher. But if it works as a back up then why not, right? Or am I risking frying my Sov?
d9pp.jpg

It may work but probably not for very long because once the voltage drops to under 9 volts, the low battery warning will come on. Your too close to the Sovereign's operating voltage. I would be surprised to see you get more than 2-3 hours max. You would be better served to use a higher voltage, around 12 but less than 13 and NiHh instead of Nicad as they will last longer. Or you could try rechargeable alkaline as they hold the proper voltage and are re-usable somewhat. HH George

Mick,the 9.6V pack won't work very well very short run time the Sovereign needs a 12V pack.Good Luck Ron

Mick , i had same problem. Mine died out, i had 2 of them . I went to " batteries plus " and they put new batteries in the packs for $50 bucks a piece . It is pricy but will last me another 10 years with both packs. GL, GS