Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

9" Deep Coin - Live Dig - Some interesting observations

earthmansurfer

I'm getting the hang of the Equinox 800. I really enjoy her, though I haven't been digging deep silver, just some other deeper coins. I think I got most of the deeper silver with my E-Trac/CTC at this spot.
You can really notice how much more responsive the Nox is. I am fairly regularly digging targets that are two way hits, sometimes chirps and today I pulled a 4" nail out of a hole and then 3" from it was a small non ferrous plate, Nickel weight. That was nothing but a 1 or 2 way chirp mixed in with iron.
I got 9 coins in 3 hours and I had been through this irony zone with my E-Trac / CTX. I knew there were lots more targets there though as the iron here is mostly quite thick. That said, I like swinging slower with recovery at 4.

[video]https://youtu.be/6l48tjt-9q8[/video]

Nice depth and id.

so a coin from 1991 9 inches deep? Either a lot of fill or crazy sink rate.

You need to speed the machine up in the iron your hurting your unmasking capabilities dropping it that far down. IMO I dug a 9 inch 2 piece button in thick iron with recovery set on 7..

calabash digger said:
You need to speed the machine up in the iron your hurting your unmasking capabilities dropping it that far down. IMO I dug a 9 inch 2 piece button in thick iron with recovery set on 7..

I have been comparing signals ad nauseum and I have found the opposite to be true. It is easier for me to miss the clipped signals. I prefer longer signals but will play with higher speeds, perhaps I will jump to 5.
As I wrote above, I honestly had killed this spot before, again and again. To boot, I am interested in depth for the most part. The unmasking is a bit of a bonus, but par for the course.

You got me to thinking so I went out and tested it ... It did lengthen the signal just like you said.I have already seen it get greater depth lowered but was worried about sepperation. I will post video of recovery speed later where I lower to show really how deep this machine is and also check the unmasking with it lower.

calabash digger said:
You got me to thinking so I went out and tested it ... It did lengthen the signal just like you said.I have already seen it get greater depth lowered but was worried about sepperation. I will post video of recovery speed later where I lower to show really how deep this machine is and also check the unmasking with it lower.

I'm curious about the in ground (natural target) responses. I don't argue that a faster recovery separates better (to a point or optimal level for a given depth) but with so many targets in the ground, I can easily miss a chirp here or there. I figure I am close to optimal depth at 4, but still pulling out things in iron (a bit like FBS does, even with its slower recovery speed.)
Running with Disc at around 15 or so (as the ground here is littered) and threshold humming really helps me to enjoy the hunt more and focus on those chirps or not so clear signals. No doubt a hunter who goes more often than me won't miss as much, but I'm just finding that happy medium, so to speak. Often I put her in all metal when investigating a target though. And when the quiet hunt is to quiet I'll open the disc up as well.

it s really deep in 4 .....12 to 13 silver dime in my soil. Unheard of!

4 reaches real deep and has about the best length of tone on real deep coins, but I have only been using it in the open areas..
I have also found 8” coins with ease up to Recovery 7 but the tone is clipped..
I was able to separate an 8” Barber Dime next to a nail on 5 yesterday so it’s still getting good separation at that level..
The speed settings have been one of my favorite features of the Nox.. When you get into the heavy trash you can feel when you are
starting to fall behind and you can adjust on the fly.. Most of my hunting has been on 5-6.. I drop to 4 in the open areas where I suspect deep coins
and go up to 7 if I’m hunting a trashy parking strip for example..

Bryan

calabash digger said:

If it will do that in my ground I will be a VERY happy camper.

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'll try the 5 setting to start off with on my friend's 800. We're meeting at a site that holds deeper coins and has moderate iron.

calabash digger said:

What does your soil read on the NOX? The GB on mine was mostly around 60, ranging from 55 to 65 or so.
12"-13" is way too deep! I can't imagine hitting a silver dime at that depth. My signum might have hit 11", CTX maybe just below that.

1 to 15on ground balance and a lot of times it might move from 0 to 2... very mild here. I ran it on 5 today in a hammered field that has been beat. Needless to say it was finding deep targets they missed. I tagged 2 buttons but the faces were gone. Most likely military.. I GOT ROBBED !