Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

99 tones VS 4 tones...

atomicscott

Saturday I mounted my new 6" 18.75 khz coil on the XT 505 & took her out for a test spin at an old home site (now a field). I noticed I was digging more iron than usual, there were a lot of scratchy repeatable dime & quarter tones, that would tend to lock on to the corresponding ID#s. Also lots of pops & clicks, that were reminiscent of my old beep & dig (not a good thing). I thought maybe the higher frequency of the coil was picking up more iron as good targets. Then I remembered: I did a factory preset when I put on the new coil, and forgot it was still in 4 tones. I always use 99 (in my 505's case 19) tones. I immediately switched into 99 tones and WOW! No more pops and clicks & the iron/trashy targets that were ID'ing as good, were now bouncing around, so it was MUCH easier to discern the trash. That was very revealing. To me, the tones are much easier to listen to than the popping and clicking, not to mention the better ID of trash targets, allowing me to concentrate on the good, non-jumpy tones/#s. I was going to do a survey to see who prefers the 4 tone option (& why) but I believe now I have answered my own question. Unless it's a VERY clean site, I will be using 99 tones exclusively. I really like the new coil so far, I will do a little review of it when I've put some more hours on it.

So AS, are you certain your trashy signals are trash targets? Have you been digging them to be sure? With the Digger coil, some of my numbers are different so I have been digging them to make sure. 46s are still bottle caps and so far 18-20s are still pull tabs, but a few IDs have been surprizes.
I haven't tried the "99" tones much, but with your success at it, maybe I should reconsider that. Thanks for the info.

I find that I am resistant to any changes in what I started detecting with so I have stuck to the 4 tones as the 99 is just too much sound/tones going on for me anyway. My hearing isn't what it was years ago either so maybe that is another reason I stick to the 4 tones. Tried the 99 tones for a while but always seem to go back to 4 tones as that is what I am more familiar with. It really took me some time to go from 2 tones to the 4 tones so someday I may use the 99 tones but It doesn't seem to make any difference in the good ( coins ) targets I find or miss.

I do seem to dig more trash with the digger coil but maybe I just forgot how much trash I dug with my other coils. I have come to hate the # 46 ID targets the digger gives but now don't dig them anymore.

BillF said:
So AS, are you certain your trashy signals are trash targets? Have you been digging them to be sure? With the Digger coil, some of my numbers are different so I have been digging them to make sure. 46s are still bottle caps and so far 18-20s are still pull tabs, but a few IDs have been surprizes.
I haven't tried the "99" tones much, but with your success at it, maybe I should reconsider that. Thanks for the info.
Bill, did you just call me an AS? Lol. Yes I dug some of the targets to verify, so I was sure those bouncy targets were most likely trash. I was also starting to figure out that when in 4 tones the 'scratchy' high tones were always iron. It seems faint (repeatable) tones are more likely to be good (but small or deep) targets than the scratchy tones. It's strange how the iron targets locked on & got good quarter ID (other than the scratchy sound) when in 4 tones. When in 99 tones they would jump around alot and bounce into iron, etc...It was much better than listening to the snap, crackle, pop like the old Vaquero. The sound of the tones is much less fatiguing on the ears to me, than the popping/clicking. It is intimidating at first, but with more tones for the trash to fall into, the easier it is to verify the trash. I figure if I can ID the trash, then I have a better shot at knowing what ISN'T trash. With 99 tones the jumpy crazy mix of tones will tell you with good predictability that it's a trash target. If you get a high pitch in all the crazy tones, and can get it to repeat, try to pinpoint & isolate it. It may well be a coin sitting in the middle of a bunch of surrounding trash. When I read Digger's ebook I knew that I should really get a feel for the 99 tones and now I understand why. In trashy sites I do usually notch out -6 and -3 iron segments (once in awhile 4:geek:. Why there is a smiley there, I have no idea! It should say forty eight. but other than that I leave it wide open.

Ive been hunting in the 99 tone mode for a few years now. In the beginning I could only go the 99 tone mode for 5-10 minutes and then it just seemed like it was too erratic. I eventually took more time and found that it gives you more insight of your target. Just the way the tone changes when you approach the target and move away from the target helps you a lot more with sizing. Also, silver and other coins have a more definite, solid sound then trash.

I've been hunting for so long in 99 tone that I'm not sure I can do it justice with a description other than you are getting more information in the sound of your target compared to 4 tone.

I've talked about this before, getting these scratchy, broken signals that for some reason I feel compelled to dig. At the time I dont really think about why I want to dig them, but they usually turn out to be IHs or wheats. The signals may have an off sound to them, but they are consistant when I walk around them, maybe thats why I feel the need to see what they are. I am going to give the 99's a chance. I have been spending a bunch of time in AM mode and if I can put up with all of that noise I should be able to handle a few more tones.
Also, with the Digger I noticed that I get a signal while sweeping, I come back to try and find it and I have to sweep in very small increments to pick it up again, not side to side but advancing forward. I like how it picks up the coins but it is also telling me to work slowly. I need to take it back into our oldest parks and try again, maybe with the 99 tones, to see what I can pick up.

I've personally always hunted in multi-tone, as that to me is part f the beauty of the Xterra. At first it seemed overwhelming, but instead of using fewer tones I utilized DISC notches to cut down on the confusion. Eventually I trained my brain sufficiently and progressed to AM, and THAT was a revelation! THAT was when I really learned proper swing speed and how to unmask targets.

You might take a look at pages 38 - 42 in my eBook, Understanding your X-TERRA, where I provide several reasons I prefer to use multiple tone on mine. Page 42 provides and example of what atomicscott refers to, in regard to discerning trash. HH Randy

BillF said:
I've talked about this before, getting these scratchy, broken signals that for some reason I feel compelled to dig. At the time I dont really think about why I want to dig them, but they usually turn out to be IHs or wheats. The signals may have an off sound to them, but they are consistant when I walk around them, maybe thats why I feel the need to see what they are. I am going to give the 99's a chance. I have been spending a bunch of time in AM mode and if I can put up with all of that noise I should be able to handle a few more tones.
Also, with the Digger I noticed that I get a signal while sweeping, I come back to try and find it and I have to sweep in very small increments to pick it up again, not side to side but advancing forward. I like how it picks up the coins but it is also telling me to work slowly. I need to take it back into our oldest parks and try again, maybe with the 99 tones, to see what I can pick up.
Bill, you may notice the scratchy tones sound different when using 99 tones, they may jump into other tones/ID#'s or possibly lock on better. In my instance it may be partially related to the higher frequency coil. I've never dug a scratchy high tone that was good as of yet, but with the 7.5khz coil I actually didn't get a whole lot of them (and I usually use 99 tones). When I walk around the target and hit it from different angles, the scratchy tones aren't always repeatable as well. I still dig a majority of them, I just seemed to notice more of them with the 18.75 DD coil, although I noticed it much less when using 99 tones..

You might take a look at pages 38 - 42 in my eBook, Understanding your X-TERRA, where I provide several reasons I prefer to use multiple tone on mine. Page 42 provides and example of what atomicscott refers to, in regard to discerning trash. HH Randy

Randy,
In your ebook you make it very clear how the multi tones help with the discernment of trash, so I knew it was necessary to learn in order to utilize the X-Terra to it's full potential.
Now in actual practice, I am finally realizing that the multi tones are telling you what IS trash. Then I have a better idea of knowing what is treasure!
Thanks for all of your helpful info.
HH, Scott

I will be out hunting on Friday. I plan on putting multi tones to the test.
And Thank You Digger and OLH for your tips and info. After reading OLHs post on nickels and the digger coil, I picked up a half dozen of them last week. I probably would have skipped them if not for his info.
I'll let you know Scott how I do.

BillF said:
I will be out hunting on Friday. I plan on putting multi tones to the test.
And Thank You Digger and OLH for your tips and info. After reading OLHs post on nickels and the digger coil, I picked up a half dozen of them last week. I probably would have skipped them if not for his info.
I'll let you know Scott how I do.
Sounds good Bill! As great as you are doing in 4 tones, I can only assume you will be getting more good finds while digging less trash.

OK,OK,OK. I believe! Went out tonight for a little over an hour to the place I've hit pretty hard in the post 'an hour with the Digger'.
99 tones, all metal, listening for any solid signal.
1 quarter, 3 dimes, 1 nickel, a small hand full of pennies, tax token, 1 wheat and '45D merc.
I know that masking has been hiding coins. I think there are more silvers hidden there but tonight I ran out of light.
Thanks to all that have given info on hunting this way. Thanks Scott, for starting this thread.

Woohoo, Sweet finds Bill! Glad you are seeing the benefits of the multi tones! I had another revelation today as well. In 99 tones all metal (nothing notched), I found a 1919 wheat (my oldest wheat)and 1969 memorial in the same 30 x 30 ft. spot I gridded very slowly last week with the -6-9 notched out. I also believe these coins were masked. I was using the 18.75 kHz 6" DD coil.

Hi everyone.....once again your wealth of knowledge concerning the various settings of the Xterra are greatly appreciated. I haven't been out MDing lately but I will be & I just wanted to say thanks.

This spring I had a plan to play a round with the 99 tones this year but with the way things turned out with my job I did not have much time to MD this year so I stuck with the 4 tones and some times AM, but on the other hand I get thinking that I do pretty good with 4 tones so if it's not broken then why fix it, lol. I've been using 4 tones for about 8 years now and I feel that if I switch to 99 tones then it will be like starting all over again. Some day I'm going to play a round with the 99 tones but not right now. I'm MDing fields now and if it beeps above iron, I dig it. lol

Mark, you really should try the 99 tones. It can be a little taxing. I went for bit to the lot close to home, in the dark tonight. AM, 99 tones. I literally am going over the same 15x20 area that has been giving up so many coins. 2 more wheats, 8 pennies, a dime and Dinky Toy Hillman Imp.
Soooo much trash, the AM and 99 tones with the Digger is still getting the goods.
Just wish there was more silver in there.

Excuse me Gentlemen..technical question..:please:..most of you that know me know I hunt in whats called "Delta Pitch" on my machine which is "99 tone" on yours...do all Minelab land machines have the 99 tone option?

I have enjoyed reading your 99 tone success on this thread! It certainly gives a lot of audio target info and is very handy...I have hesitated in buying any detector that does NOT have this capability, so I need to know which Minelab models have this available just in case I need a new machine..
Mud.

Old Longhair said:
I've personally always hunted in multi-tone, as that to me is part f the beauty of the Xterra. At first it seemed overwhelming, but instead of using fewer tones I utilized DISC notches to cut down on the confusion. Eventually I trained my brain sufficiently and progressed to AM, and THAT was a revelation! THAT was when I really learned proper swing speed and how to unmask targets.

OLH....When you DISC notch are you notching out #48 & #-8 only in order to cut the wrap around effect? It looks like most who use the Xterra for the first time start with DISC & 2 or 4 tones & then progress up to multi tones & AM. In my case I just said why not just go with multi tones & AM because I don't see what good DISC with 1,2,3, or 4 tones would do. This is my first detector so I have no prior experience with other machines-just learning as I go......

If I remember correctly, I started with everything up to "0" and 48 knocked out. That removes 5 of 29 tones on a 705.